Playoff Picks D1 & D2

Just some input on the Benjamin game from someone who has never seen them play live and just happened to be traveling to within 1.5 hours of Hamlin tonight so I went to go see what the fuss is all about. First things first, and this is taking nothing away from Newcastle, but they were never in any way a threat to win that game IMO. 2) The refs were the absolute worst that I have seen in a very very long time. If half of the holding calls had been called on Benjamin’s rush it would have been over at half! It was BLATANTLY obvious and never called. There were a couple of overly late hit calls that were missed, one the flag was waved off on and from my point of view it was what used to be called spearing and happened to Rigdon after he was on the ground with a direct shot in his back. Flag waved off. There were, what I would label unsportsmanlike conduct calls on BOTH teams that happen directly in clear view of a ref that was repeatedly allowed. It was a terrible job by the Zebra crew no if ands or buts about it! 3) I think Rigdon may actually be “better than advertised” bc Newcastle definitely had plans to put hits on him on both sides of the ball, he very obviously has a huge target on his back and yet still seems like he can “turn it on” and be 1-2 levels above every other kid on the field at any time he wants! The kid is an awesome ball player! 4) Newcastle definitely wasn’t intimidated in any way, you could tell from the start of the game that “inside” that team they felt they could beat Benjamin. 5) The younger Hayes kid gets a lot of the attention behind Rigdon but IMO Tallon is the “glue”. That kid is the one who’s hold off the rush while Rigdon “dances” around looking for someone down field and he is relentless with his blocking. He’s that guy that just seems to do all the “dirty” work (on both sides of the ball) and does it extremely well play after play. To label him with the “modern terminology” in todays game.. he’s a dawg! 6) Out of the Top 12 ranked teams (Overall/Uber), after tonight, the only teams I haven’t seen play live this year are Miami, Abbott and Whiteface. I say that to say that Benjamin, IMO, is top 2 at least. I know that may seem crazy after the final score tonight but I feel like the final score made that game seem WAY closer than it was. You put “average” refs in place of the crew that was there and it would have been a drastically different final, probably ended early to mid 3Q. Take all that however you want, but that’s my take on the game tonight, along with some opinions on Benjamin “stars”from an outsider perspective.

Just some input on the Benjamin game from someone who has never seen them play live and just happened to be traveling to within 1.5 hours of Hamlin tonight so I went to go see what the fuss is all about. First things first, and this is taking nothing away from Newcastle, but they were never in any way a threat to win that game IMO. 2) The refs were the absolute worst that I have seen in a very very long time. If half of the holding calls had been called on Benjamin’s rush it would have been over at half! It was BLATANTLY obvious and never called. There were a couple of overly late hit calls that were missed, one the flag was waved off on and from my point of view it was what used to be called spearing and happened to Rigdon after he was on the ground with a direct shot in his back. Flag waved off. There were, what I would label unsportsmanlike conduct calls on BOTH teams that happen directly in clear view of a ref that was repeatedly allowed. It was a terrible job by the Zebra crew no if ands or buts about it! 3) I think Rigdon may actually be “better than advertised” bc Newcastle definitely had plans to put hits on him on both sides of the ball, he very obviously has a huge target on his back and yet still seems like he can “turn it on” and be 1-2 levels above every other kid on the field at any time he wants! The kid is an awesome ball player! 4) Newcastle definitely wasn’t intimidated in any way, you could tell from the start of the game that “inside” that team they felt they could beat Benjamin. 5) The younger Hayes kid gets a lot of the attention behind Rigdon but IMO Tallon is the “glue”. That kid is the one who’s hold off the rush while Rigdon “dances” around looking for someone down field and he is relentless with his blocking. He’s that guy that just seems to do all the “dirty” work (on both sides of the ball) and does it extremely well play after play. To label him with the “modern terminology” in todays game.. he’s a dawg! 6) Out of the Top 12 ranked teams (Overall/Uber), after tonight, the only teams I haven’t seen play live this year are Miami, Abbott and Whiteface. I say that to say that Benjamin, IMO, is top 2 at least. I know that may seem crazy after the final score tonight but I feel like the final score made that game seem WAY closer than it was. You put “average” refs in place of the crew that was there and it would have been a drastically different final, probably ended early to mid 3Q. Take all that however you want, but that’s my take on the game tonight, along with some opinions on Benjamin “stars”from an outsider perspective.
I’m just curious who is the other team you put in your top 2 over all with Benjamin?

I’m just curious who is the other team you put in your top 2 over all with Benjamin?
Westbrook. Their defense is LEGIT! I will say I was a little shocked at tonight’s game with BV. Nothing against the Longhorns, but I really thought that it would be over at half with a final of something like 64-8. Like they say…that’s why the game is played!

Westbrook. Their defense is LEGIT! I will say I was a little shocked at tonight’s game with BV. Nothing against the Longhorns, but I really thought that it would be over at half with a final of something like 64-8. Like they say…that’s why the game is played!
I was there tonight and during three of BV touchdowns they had 1-2 of Westbrook’s defenders wrapped up on the ground but I’m not going to whine about it and film refs for the uil like others on this site. I will say BV did play all out even down to the last play with :01 on the clock going out with their heads up and striving for every yard. If they don’t lose many graduating they will be a serious threat next year. Definitely a good game can’t wait to see the Westbrook vs BC game next week. I’m a little sad though that KC fell tonight I really wanted to see the rematch but congrats to Happy on pulling out the W. Also the game next week between Benjamin and Jayton will be one that anyone that can should go see that should be one heck of a good game.

On the plus side with KC falling maybe now ace will not be as upset about the Uber ratings since Benjamin should move up at least one space.

can’t wait to see the Westbrook vs BC game next week. I’m a little sad though that KC fell tonight I really wanted to see the rematch but congrats to Happy on pulling out the W. Also the game next week between Benjamin and Jayton will be one that anyone that can should go see that should be one heck of a good game.
Both of those games next week should be great games. I thought KC would get it done as well. I thought the Valley game may have been that “gut check” game that got them refocused right before playoffs. Combine that with Happy ending their season last year and looking at this as a “revenge” type game I thought they would pull it off. Congrats to Happy, seems they have the “key” against KC, kinda like WB does with Rankin, expect nailbiters but just doesn’t work that way. Looking at matchups next week, I’m not sure you could go wrong going to watch any of them, tbh. Going to be, what looks like anyway, some really really good ones!

I think Region 4 in both D1 and D2(already set) will be district rematches. That will add some extra motivation to those 2 games. I haven’t seen May live but watched the NFHS feed against Irion Co and they sure seem to have started “clicking” at the right time. I know TigerFan said they battled injuries most of the year but looks like they’re healthy, for the most part. If they pull it off tomorrow vs Leveretts they get that 2nd crack at Jonesboro & I don’t think it would be too far out there to see the runner up in each of those districts (May & Cherokee) pull it off in the playoffs. I think May has a tougher challenge to do so but don’t think it would be crazy if they do. Of course that’s all assuming they win tomorrow’s game. LC has a pretty good ball player, Brown, they’ll have to contain. Watched the stream against Leakey and he sure looked to be a handful on both sides of the ball. Hopefully NFHS will have that stream tomorrow.

@Texas6Man Good recap. I was watching online on NFHS and you couldn't get a real feel for the flags as the camera from Hamlin ISD wasnt perfect, but you could definitely see the coaches from Benjamin visibly upset with the officials on numerous occasions.

Don't take anything away from Newcastle though, as they had a great gameplan, they executed well, it's just the better team won.

I'm very excited for Benjamin vs Jayton.

I think I've seen Benjamin play 5 times this year and I have seen Jayton twice.

The athletic talent in this matchup is very exciting. I want to see what kind of adjustments/ schemes/wrinkles are thrown in by Jayton to try and match Benjamin score for score.

This one has all the makings of a classic!

Tdog Benjamin took their players off the field and kneeled the ball up 40 points. Newcastle had to get that last one in making them lose by 32 I believe. Newcastle scored with the ball being in Benjamin’s hands and returned one drive. The toy was off 5 points. How about Knox S*ity losing to number 10 in div I and the previous week that team beat follet in a final drive prayer. Do you need the film of what big boys do to little boys like Follett? You guys can’t stand it but everyone knows. You’re witnessing greatness, respect it.
You are crazy if you don’t think Follett has come a long way from week 1. They have a brand new coach this year and system, early year is time to get kinks out and learning. You played them on week 1 of their program😂. You are laughable, Benjamin is fantastic and everyone knows that, there is no reason to doubt that but yet you don’t seem so sure yourself or you wouldn’t be on here running your mouth.

Don't take anything away from Newcastle though, as they had a great gameplan, they executed well, it's just the better team won.
Most definitely! There’s no doubt Newcastle was there to play. One thing I failed to mention, King (#12) from Newcastle is a stud also! That kid played his butt off last night and gave Benjamin fits on many plays! Hats off to Newcastle, that’s a gritty group!!

You are crazy if you don’t think Follett has come a long way from week 1. They have a brand new coach this year and system, early year is time to get kinks out and learning. You played them on week 1 of their program😂. You are laughable, Benjamin is fantastic and everyone knows that, there is no reason to doubt that but yet you don’t seem so sure yourself or you wouldn’t be on here running your mouth.
stick to your way less skilled division. I’ll tell you what Follett may have gotten better. Not 60 points better. I’m not going to listen to you dA gurus tell me having 10 more kids to choose from. Makes you go to a way more skilled division. The common opponents say otherwise. Benjamin has committed single digit turnovers, 5 I believe in 2 years. I believe last year or this year if they wanted to score 100 plus they would, there’s not a defense in the state that can possibly stop what Benjamin brings to the table.

Last edited:
Happy has struggled all year beating below average teams by 20 or less. Nazareth, some other school I’ve never even heard of. (Negative win/loss for the year of both schools) and put up a whopping (around) 40 points on those teams with obvious no defense. Happy just beat the top dogs in the “way more skilled” division. Happy, without one of their best players. If Benjamin would’ve been lucky enough to have them scheduled late in the year to show you that division 1 this year, could not touch what people are having to deal with in division 2. Benjamin is more than capable of scoring at will at anytime against any defense they have seen. With that being said. Jayton probably is number 2 in the state overall with the dominant performances week in and out. That is if Newcastle didn’t peak for everyone last night. Imagine having the worst game of the season, and still scoring 112 points with ease. 1 possession went to 3rd down last night. (because of inaccurate throws) not the defense. If you’ve tuned into any Benjamin game this year, you’ve seen an elite, unstoppable, relentless offense with the defense to match the energy. Benjamin has some real ballers. No wannabes.

Nobody. Nobody will stop them and nobody can keep up with them.

I'm very excited for Benjamin vs Jayton.

I think I've seen Benjamin play 5 times this year and I have seen Jayton twice.

The athletic talent in this matchup is very exciting. I want to see what kind of adjustments/ schemes/wrinkles are thrown in by Jayton to try and match Benjamin score for score.

This one has all the makings of a classic!

Lots of folks completely looking past Jayton in her, like they don't have a chance. That's crazy to me. This game is going to be a dog fight.

Lots of folks completely looking past Jayton in her, like they don't have a chance. That's crazy to me. This game is going to be a dog fight.
Not me. I like This match up. I think NC gave Jayton a road map to win. I’m positive Jayton coaches will be analyzing that game play by play. This should (I said should) be the toughest challenge Benjamin has seen in last two seasons.
Now having said that let’s not forget, cause it seems to get overlooked, Benjamin has a proven winner as head coach in Hayes. Ridgon gets all the attention but I think coach Hayes is as good as anyone else and will be studying Jayton as well. I really hope this games turns into one of those instant classics.

Shootout is predictable. Hope both teams stay healthy and we should have a spectacle to witness.
I was there tonight and during three of BV touchdowns they had 1-2 of Westbrook’s defenders wrapped up on the ground but I’m not going to whine about it and film refs for the uil like others on this site. I will say BV did play all out even down to the last play with :01 on the clock going out with their heads up and striving for every yard. If they don’t lose many graduating they will be a serious threat next year. Definitely a good game can’t wait to see the Westbrook vs BC game next week. I’m a little sad though that KC fell tonight I really wanted to see the rematch but congrats to Happy on pulling out the W. Also the game next week between Benjamin and Jayton will be one that anyone that can should go see that should be one heck of a good game.
Bullfrog I thought I ended you doubting me for good last year, guess not since want to make a sly remark. Sometimes the refs are not up to par. Newcastle had many plays they scored when Benjamin had defenders tackled on the ground by blockers. TACKLED LIKE THEY HAD THE BALL. The refs did not call it because Benjamins strength to manhandle and manage. Just every play you can’t throw a 130 pound weasel with a death grip to your pads off you. Throw your self right to the ground. It wasn’t the zebras or the bobcats night, even together it wasn’t enough, you guys got to witness a score of a game when refs have 0 control. Benjamin alone at the top. Newcastle’s play all around was unethical and dirty. Trying to intentionally hurt players after plays. It’s all on camera. But hey I’m sure they’re just listening to their established coach and his program. How about go bounce the ball. And Newcastles coach this is to you. As dirty as you wanted your kids to be. As late of shots as you could get in. You didn’t have a player with pair of “cards” to hurt a single mustang although it was tried several times. Go lose in basketball too, that’s the only reason I know Newcastle, losing when it matters. just a stomping ground that your occasionally lucky enough to play. A free win. Newcastle has had that crew that reffed that game many times I guarantee it. That game was 9vs6 and Benjamin still dominated. Let that sink in.

ace of something, aka deuce of clubs, I can’t believe you have enough nerve to even come back on this site much less talk the trash you are talking. Newcastle took the greatest team money can buy to the full game and still didn’t win by your 44 much less 45 Newcastle. GO JAYTON!!!

ace of something, aka deuce of clubs, I can’t believe you have enough nerve to even come back on this site much less talk the trash you are talking. Newcastle took the greatest team money can buy to the full game and still didn’t win by your 44 much less 45 Newcastle. GO JAYTON!!!
go watch just one play of the whole compilation coming out. Benjamin on Defense has player tackled like he was on offense. You’ve got a whole video to watch later set a reminder!

Back