Please keep in mind that all states play by varying rules to begin with. Texas is one of the few that plays by NCAA rules, while many others use the NFHS rules as their basis.
Basic six-man football rule variations
- Field is 80x40 yards instead of 100x50.
- The offense must gain 15 yards for a first down instead of 10.
- All players are eligible receivers.
- There must be a 'clean exchange' of the football. The quarterback (player who receives the snap) must hand off, pitch or throw the ball to another player before it can be advanced past the line of scrimmage.
- Field goal is worth 4 points.
- A kicked PAT is worth 2 points and a run/pass PAT is 1 point.
- If at any point after the end of the first half, a team leads by 45 points or more, the game is over.