TAPPS playoff picks

Old76er

Six-man fan
Ok TAPPS guys… time to wake up! Things sure are quiet this year. Who do we have think are the favorites for D1-D3. For what it’s worth I really figured TAPPS would combine these 3 into 2 divisions on the realignment but that did not happen.

D1
Austin hill country looks to be the clear favorite with Emery playing pretty good ball
As well. I think the sleeper may be Giddings but we will know more after their matchup with Emery this week. Will be keeping an eye on them.
D2
This is a pretty competitive district outside the top 2 which seem to stand alone. FW just put a beat down on Abilene. Not sure if Abilene were out some players or FW just flat out handed it to them. Pasadena same as last year solid going into this weeks game vs Conroe in which should be a very good game. Can Conroe stop the Pasadena power game?? Should be some good games in the bracket along the way as Lucas Christian, castle hills, Allen academy and Abilene all having good seasons. Nobody playing up to the level of Pasadena and FW though other than possibly Conroe. Anyone seen any of the top teams play yet?
D3
Prestonwood seems to be the favorite in that division but a lot of head scratchers. You got Fredericksburg losing a close one to San Marcos, prestonwood beating Abilene fairly easily, brazosport smashing Baytown, then st joes smashing brazosport. All these games could be injury bugs or simply matchup issues. Anyone seen any of these games?

In D3, did you mean Prestonwood beat Nazarene? They didn’t play Abilene. I do think Prestonwood is the best team from the north, but Nazarene is good, so it’s not a guarantee Prestonwood would win a rematch. Plus, Prestonwood has a history of not showing up in the playoffs. It’s not a question of talent. They’re loaded.

In the south, I saw St Joseph in Waco at the 6v6 tournament. They’re a talented team. Based on results, they seem to be the team to beat in the south.

In D3, did you mean Prestonwood beat Nazarene? They didn’t play Abilene. I do think Prestonwood is the best team from the north, but Nazarene is good, so it’s not a guarantee Prestonwood would win a rematch. Plus, Prestonwood has a history of not showing up in the playoffs. It’s not a question of talent. They’re loaded.

In the south, I saw St Joseph in Waco at the 6v6 tournament. They’re a talented team. Based on results, they seem to be the team to beat in the south.
Yes my apologies. I meant Nazarene.

I agree with you. Prestonwood is the favorite to win the north. Why do you say they have a history of not showing up int he playoffs? Isn't the school only a couple years old?

I agree with you. Prestonwood is the favorite to win the north. Why do you say they have a history of not showing up int he playoffs? Isn't the school only a couple years old?
Not sure why that was stated. I think like
You said they were a newer school and had a young squad. This year they are loaded with upper class group. 6 seniors and 9 juniors. Evidently they are doing something right because they are having a solid year and def the team to look out for. Looking forward to seeing how the Azle game goes.

I heard the divine savior game with st joes and brazosport were pretty good games as well. Both games predicted by 45 and they seemed to hold their own. St joes looks
Like the team to beat down south with their
Only close games being between Allen academy and baytown.

Agree, that comment was odd.

This is the 3rd year that PCA has been playing Varsity football. They have made the playoffs the last 2 years and lost in the 1st round. This year, they have clinched the playoffs again and will be playing us for a district title this Friday. Additionally, this will be the 1st year of a graduating senior class I believe. What they have done the past 3 years is pretty remarkable, especially dealing with all the growth out their way.

We've got a ton of respect for Coach Purcell, his staff, and his players. It's traditionally always a good rivalry game between us, and this year should be no different.

This is the 3rd year that PCA has been playing Varsity football. They have made the playoffs the last 2 years and lost in the 1st round. This year, they have clinched the playoffs again and will be playing us for a district title this Friday. Additionally, this will be the 1st year of a graduating senior class I believe. What they have done the past 3 years is pretty remarkable, especially dealing with all the growth out their way.

We've got a ton of respect for Coach Purcell, his staff, and his players. It's traditionally always a good rivalry game between us, and this year should be no different.
I’ve heard they sling the ball quite a bit

Good luck to both teams on Friday! Happy to see strong competition in the north.

I was at the Covenant - Abilene game, appeared that both teams were missing one starter. But that appeared to be all that were not playing both number 2. From my vantage point it was just a beat down. Have seen both of these teams live three times this year. Abilene is really really good. Haven't seen Pasadena yet this year, but Abilene I feel could've have played against First Baptist last year and they are better this season. This just might be the best Covenant team to date. Offense has not slowed down that much, with their sophomore QB taking over for Briley. Their defense is fast, good tackling and physical. good against the pass and in my opinion tougher against the run.

We gave FWCC their only two L’s the last two years and I can say they are easily the best team we have played this year. They have depth on both sides of the ball, just a really good team. If they don’t win a championship again this year hats off to the team that beats them.

Prestonwood answered some questions last night in a 54-8 win over Azle Christian. They’re playing at a high level and have all the right parts to make a deep run. They’ve got a star player who’s as good as anyone in the state and a deep supporting cast w/ size & speed. There are a lot of options on both sides of the ball. There are still things to cleanup like boneheaded penalties (two last night were costly), but if they play clean, they can beat anyone.

Yea I think that answered some questions as to where prestonwood stands. Definitely a statement win, leaving no doubt. Anyone know how the brackets are going to play out. Looks like prestonwood may not meet up with Nazarene until semis up north? Nazarene play Longview first round? That should be decent matchup if Longview can come out with a good defensive performance.
Down south looks to be more interesting to me. St joes, Fredericksburg San Marcos hill country leading the pack. Hill country I think surprised a lot of folks this year with an undefeated record heading to plalyoffs. Big win coming against Fredericksburg which was a very close one. Brazosport may be a sleeper and still have baytown in it who could make some noise. Should be an interesting playoff bracket.

As it currently stands, here’s the north:

Nazarene will play Heritage Christian (Rockwall). I’d expect Nazarene to advance.

Azle will play Kingdom Prep. KP isn’t as good as they usually are but Azle is really banged up. I think they came into last Fridays game w/ 9 players and lost 2. One of them may be able to return. I think it was a concussion but i’m not sure. If I had to pick, I’d say KP advances, but wouldn’t be surprised either way.

Wichita Christian will play Christian Heritage (Longview). I think Longview will win but they’ve been up and down this season and Wichita quietly put together a solid season before losing last Friday to Kingdom Prep. Another toss up. I’m picking Longview.

Prestonwood will play either Garland Christian or Greenville Christian and should beat either one.

I agree with your picks.

The north seems to have three solid teams in Longview, Prestonwood and Nazarene ready to make a run. Excited to see how those match ups play out. I haven't seen anything on Wichita Christian so far.

Baytown handled Longview earlier this season. I'm curious who will be the top contenders out of the south...

Yea I think that answered some questions as to where prestonwood stands. Definitely a statement win, leaving no doubt. Anyone know how the brackets are going to play out. Looks like prestonwood may not meet up with Nazarene until semis up north? Nazarene play Longview first round? That should be decent matchup if Longview can come out with a good defensive performance.
Down south looks to be more interesting to me. St joes, Fredericksburg San Marcos hill country leading the pack. Hill country I think surprised a lot of folks this year with an undefeated record heading to plalyoffs. Big win coming against Fredericksburg which was a very close one. Brazosport may be a sleeper and still have baytown in it who could make some noise. Should be an interesting playoff bracket.
Hill Country is no longer undefeated.

oh I did see that! Appreciate the heads up. I looked up their schedule and other than Fredericksburg and castle hills handing
Them their first loss they haven’t played a very tough schedule. Are they pretty solid
Or has the schedule treated them well?
Also saw Pasadena thumped Conroe. That was an eye opener. Is Pasadena as good as last year having graduated their stud RB?

Back