Tyler Ethridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crockett, Tippie, TE, Brandon Hoskins, Kittleys, Mason Pierce, Josh Colunga, Mitchell Parsley, Mathew Rigdon, Grayson Rigdon, theres more. All studs

As this has progressed from just TE. I never saw Miles, I've read he was a very fast power back, could run over or past others. Kind of like say maybe Crockett or Reeves who I have seen. Taron was an athlete, size, fast and quick (there is a difference). But this conversation makes me think of a couple of smaller guys who were amazing to watch for me. Fast, quick and strong who could duck and dodge, literally step out of tackles one thought made. Not TE, Miles, Taron maybe a few others but still "different" as Granger mentioned in their own right, fun to watch (not from the opposing side in one case).
The first is Josh Colunga of Garden City. Only saw him once, 2009 state game. There he is. Nope he's over there. Nope he's gone.
The first time I saw Carlos Villanueva of Strawn he reminded me of Colunga. Justifiably so.
Both led their teams to back to back state championships. Carlos could pass as well.

As this has progressed from just TE. I never saw Miles, I've read he was a very fast power back, could run over or past others. Kind of like say maybe Crockett or Reeves who I have seen. Taron was an athlete, size, fast and quick (there is a difference). But this conversation makes me think of a couple of smaller guys who were amazing to watch for me. Fast, quick and strong who could duck and dodge, literally step out of tackles one thought made. Not TE, Miles, Taron maybe a few others but still "different" as Granger mentioned in their own right, fun to watch (not from the opposing side in one case).
The first is Josh Colunga of Garden City. Only saw him once, 2009 state game. There he is. Nope he's over there. Nope he's gone.
The first time I saw Carlos Villanueva of Strawn he reminded me of Colunga. Justifiably so.
Both led their teams to back to back state championships. Carlos could pass as well.
Carlos Villanueva broke our hearts , big plays all game long . Short speedy and physical, really good player.

Carlos Villanueva broke our hearts , big plays all game long . Short speedy and physical, really good player

Carlos Villanueva broke our hearts , big plays all game long . Short speedy and physical, really good player
Not to dismiss Milford's great game the night you mention (state semi) or rub in the SHS victory but a favorite FB (Not Facebook!) memory of mine involving Carlos happened there.
The game was close into the 3rd quarter. I believe it was late in it or the early 4th he took a pitchout left, cut back right and was gone which broke the game open, a 2/3 score lead (depending on extra points - both ways).
As he broke into the open I started jumping up and down yelling Go! Go! Go! Then Yeah as he scored. With everyone else around us yelling as well I looked down at my four year old grandson playing on the step below. Looking at me confused, like, paw paw are you crazy?

Not to dismiss Milford's great game the night you mention (state semi) or rub in the SHS victory but a favorite FB (Not Facebook!) memory of mine involving Carlos happened there.
The game was close into the 3rd quarter. I believe it was late in it or the early 4th he took a pitchout left, cut back right and was gone which broke the game open, a 2/3 score lead (depending on extra points - both ways).
As he broke into the open I started jumping up and down yelling Go! Go! Go! Then Yeah as he scored. With everyone else around us yelling as well I looked down at my four year old grandson playing on the step below. Looking at me confused, like, paw paw are you crazy?
Oh no your fine I don’t take it as a rub in. The play I remember the most from Carlos that night was a kick return that just took the air out of the stadium .

One of the things that stood out that game was how nothing phased Strawn . Ta’Ron runs back a kick ? So what. 60 yard TD? Who cares. Those guys just kept playing with energy for all 4 quaters and they earned the win that night. Nothing but respect to the greyhounds .

Does anyone have the career stats on any of these guys y'all are talking about? I keep up with all our stats and would love to compare them to our top back that graduated last year. I have Leman's file that has the top 5 kids in each catagory and TE had 10,861 career passing yards. He's the only name I see out of all mentioned.

slight correction...the 2006 and 2007 seasons were the first two with the division split (so the only title he won prior to that was 2004)...without question the best player Ive seen was DeWayne Miles in 1995, but if you want to argue full 4 year career hard to debate against TE for the last 30 years. I think Crockett was a better football player
TE was good but if you want to see what I consider the goat. Go watch film on Trey Richey, you will probably change your mind.
Mike Morales was actually better. Bigger stronger and he was fast as well. Plus best linebacker I’ve seen. Jayton went back to sixman his Sr year and won first State game had he played all four years Morales would have been in mix of this conversation.

Great picks so far and my top picks go Miles, Ritchie and Crockett. They were superstars on both sides of the ball and very good athletes. I believe Crockett broke Miles and Ritchies state game record in 2018

No one has mentioned Ronnie Hughes from Carbon in the mid 1960's. He was an earlier version of DeWayne Miles. He was a powerful running back who could bench press 500 lbs. One Carbon teammate commented they just rode the team bus to watch Ronnie run over people. He played on the offensive line at Tarleton State. Charlie Gray was a terrific running back at Cherokee in the late 1960's. He was also the Texas class B 100 yard dash champion.

Dont think we will ever have a clear cut answer. It will always depend on how old you are or what area you live in. My answer is Petey Salaiz, and probably will stay that way.
I think if Chaka Rigdon can get 4 titles he’ll be the undisputed GOAT. But he’s still got a long row to hoe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back