TAPPS playoff picks

Gotta take Baytown in this one. They are on a roll! 31 point underdogs and they took the dub tonight. They are on a roll and will continue to be
True, but also, maybe that just shows for how weak of a team St. Joes was? Just a thought, have to consider everything here. Baytown played a way harder schedule than St. Joes. (Not to mention Baytown and St. Joes already played each other, it’s always hard to beat a team twice). And if we are to look at schedules, Prestonwood played harder teams than Baytown and Prestonwood beat Nazarene twice. Those are just my thoughts. I would go with either team in a toss up.

True, but also, maybe that just shows for how weak of a team St. Joes was? Just a thought, have to consider everything here. Baytown played a way harder schedule than St. Joes. (Not to mention Baytown and St. Joes already played each other, it’s always hard to beat a team twice). And if we are to look at schedules, Prestonwood played harder teams than Baytown and Prestonwood beat Nazarene twice. Those are just my thoughts. I would go with either team in a toss up.
St joe is a great team. Yes they might’ve played an easier schedule but those boys are warriors out there. They fought and clawed their way into the game when Baytown was about to run away with it.

I just see Baytown as being motivated by how many doubters they have had this year.

If Prestonwood plays the game they’ve played all year, Prestonwood wins easily. Baytown doesn’t have the athletes to match up. However, if Prestonwood decides to do what they did tonight, Baytown will win. I said all along Nazarene is a very good football team. They had size, speed and great coaches who got their boys to play hard. Their RB broke his collarbone late in the first half, and that might have been the difference in the game. Prestonwood’s game plan was baffling. They used their best player as a decoy most of the night until the 4th quarter and when they did decide to give him the ball, it wasn’t utilizing his strength. (He did have several very tough runs to seal the game.) Give Nazarene a lot of credit for his rough start too. Their game plan really slowed him down and our coaches didn’t have an answer for it. Fortunately, we had some big plays by other kids that delivered the victory. You don’t win championships w/ only one star player. You’ve got to have 6 kids all pulling in the same direction and picking each other up and Prestonwood had that tonight. Sometimes you have to win ugly.

I’m taking Prestonwood but that might be my Bias being in the north. I’ve seen them twice and watched most of their games on film. I think the first time you see their team speed on offense it surprises you. Don’t discount Nazarene either they are a solid football team that helped battle test Prestonwood this yr. Either way I’ll be there to watch

Pretty crazy result between Conroe Covenant and Pasadena First Baptist. Went from Pasadena 45ing Conroe a month ago to a 12 point Covenant win tonight. Witnessed both games and tonight looked like it was going to be similar to the first meeting. Pasadena goes up 40-22 halfway through the 2nd and it looks like Covenant might be starting to fold. They scored to cut it to 10 with 1:30 in the half. Pasadena then throws a pick on their next offensive play which led to a Covenant TD as time expired at the half. All the sudden, its 40-38 with Covenant getting the ball first in the 2nd half.

Both defenses came out strong in the 3rd though. There was something like 5-6 possessions in a row with no scores. Covenant eventually scored to take the lead and ultimately never gave it up, despite a crazy 4th quarter that included the teams giving up back to back onside kick return touchdowns.

Conroe had a pretty good plan for slowing down First Baptist's run game, which has one of the best blocking schemes I've ever seen. It relies largely on trapping, but Covenant's defensive shell seemed to take away a lot of the angles that come from those trap plays. Most of Pasadena's explosive offensive plays came from play action boots, but once the explosive running plays were bottled up, they seemed to struggle in changing up offensive philosophy. They had their moments of course in what was a wildly fun game, but Covenant came out on top this go-around.

Not only was this a district rematch, but it was also a semi-final rematch from last year. Playing a team four times in two years is always interesting, but it was hard to imagine Conroe sticking around in this one. Seems like the other side of the bracket had some unexpected results as well, so very excited to watch Conroe and Abilene at State. If memory serves, seems like Abilene Christian has won it a couple times, but I know this is Covenant's first State Championship game. Word is that they are moving to 11-man next year, so seems like this is their last shot after perennially being in the playoffs for a decade.

Thanks for your recap of the game. Sounds as your’s was equally exciting as the Abilene/Lucas game. This was a match of the run game vs the pass game. These 2 teams met last year in the regional round with Abilene prevailing by 20 or so pts. They then faced district rival, Ft. Worth Covenant in the Semis and lost 26-16 for the 3rd time in a row. FWCC went on to win their 2nd title in a row.

I am sure everyone was expecting a FWCC/Pasadena rematch, but as the saying goes… that is why they play the game. Both are amazing teams, but so is Abilene and Conroe. I mentioned several weeks ago on a thread that one should not “sleep on” Abilene. They Are not the flashiest team, but they just continue to fight and find ways to win and stay alive. Next Thursday should be a barn burner as both have shown the ability to score a lot of pts. Hope you can make the game.

BTW, Abilene is not going 11 man anytime soon. They will again be in FWCC’s district for 2 more yrs. and turned in an enrollment of 106, I believe. Abilene last won a title in 2011 and have won 4 in the school’s history.

Good luck to both teams and safe travels to and from Waco.

Um... there’s a good chance of rain/thunderstorms for Thursday. Would TAPPS move the games to Friday or bring it up to Wednesday?
You’ve got 7 games scheduled over 3 days. I seriously doubt any of the games are moving. My guess if they’ll be played as scheduled and delays will just have to be dealt with.

Um... there’s a good chance of rain/thunderstorms for Thursday. Would TAPPS move the games to Friday or bring it up to Wednesday?
I doubt they move any to Wednesday because I believe there is a TAPPS requirement to have 5 days in between games. If any of the teams played Saturday then they could not be played Wednesday. Thursday would be the earliest

It’s going to be fun to watch Baytown’s spread back versus Prestonwood’s D.

70-42 Prestonwood over Baytown.
It’s always fun to watch BCA’s #4 do his thing. It’s going to be a great game! But, I have to disagree on the final score. Even in our worst loss this season they didn’t hang 70 on the Dawgs. And, that was a VERY different team than the one that’s on the field now.

It’s always fun to watch BCA’s #4 do his thing. It’s going to be a great game! But, I have to disagree on the final score. Even in our worst loss this season they didn’t hang 70 on the Dawgs. And, that was a VERY different team than the one that’s on the field now.
I wanted to frame Prestonwood’s offensive numbers. They averaged 59 ppg, but they only played 15 halves of football. If you calculate that like an ERA in baseball, they’d average 79 ppg. During one 7 game stretch of the season, which included their first meeting w/ Nazarene and first two playoff games, they scored on 51 of 54 possessions.

Thats why I think this game will be a shootout. Obviously Baytown can score. The question will be whether or not they can match score for score.

Prestonwood is definitely the strongest team. It should be a blowout. Quite frankly Prestonwood could play all 3 games on Thursday and win Div 1, Div 2 and Div 3. They have sooooo much talent. Baytown doesn’t have a chance.
Prestonwood lost to Lucas earlier this year...

Back