Playoff Rankings!!!

Agree with dbsmith that Geneva is strong and may win State this year. Also agree that the boards have been quieter this year... no Abilene and no DC posters? Whatever the reason, it's been fun to watch the progression of the teams. First Midland came on the radar, then Watauga; it's always nice to see teams come up and shine. I am planning to be in Zephyr to watch the final between Geneva and Watauga.

"6 man sports" is obviously from Watauga and could not send a basketball to the HCA boys since the football boys playing basketball will start next week regardless of the outcome. (See thread "Old Tricks from Richland" from "six-man football talk" before they played Strawn in the Quarterfinals) Nice try 6 man, but Geneva doesn't have anyone arrogant enough to be so boastful before the job is done! Bulletin boards should be filled up with real commentary, not manufactured desperate means to try to fire up a Watauga bunch that I'm sure is plenty enough excited at the opportunity to play for a state championship. At least some people woke up and we finally have some posts! Looking forward to a great conclusion to an exciting year of TAPPS 6-Man Football at its best!

keerod08...
I agree with you that 6 man is definitely not from Boerne..
Boerne is not a arrogant football team and respect their opponents no matter who they are playing. Great group of coaches and players.
I have to say i was rooting for either Katy or Baytown to make a run at Boerne this year but unfortunately that didn't pan out for either team. I was not able to make the Katy game but heard it was a fair game out of the gate before Boerne got a feel for them and put them away.
I was able to make the baytown game and Pasadena was ready to play. They forced everything back inside on baytown and they could never seem to gain momentum. Main issue with Baytown was that they were missing their 2 studs. One of them got hurt in last week playing sugarland with a ankle sprain and the other I believe fractured his ankle a while back. (per the parents in the stands) They both suited up but you could tell they were not even close to being able to make a impact. I also heard that their big #44 fractured his ankle during the game. Rough way to go down and you wish every one could stay healthy but unfortunately its the game of football and thats where these big schools like Boerne have a huge advantage. Good luck to both teams and all the seniors left playing......this game should be over by the half!!!

granger":2s9li1sm said:
Last time I checked, Verizon Fios was only available in Texas in the Dallas area... just sayin'

Kind of like pointing out to the boys in the other story that the return address on the basketball was their own school...or the end of the classic campfire story:

"The phone call is coming FROM INSIDE YOUR OWN HOUSE!!!!!!!"

TexianDoc

I am a Harvest dad. I just wanted to get that out first. Sorry I don't get the basketball reference? I am a frequent reader of the boards but not a frequent poster but thought it was as a good a time as any to speak up. We don't use or need the boards to get our boys ready to play a game. We have been picked to lose just about every game this year so its nothing new to us to be the underdog. Our motivation is that we have a game to play. We know we are a big underdog that is no secret, we know that Boerne is a very good football team and we know it is a State Championship game what else motivation does a team need. Regardless of all that we have a game to play and yes we are thrilled to be in this position. That is all the motivation we need nothing else. No idea who is affiliated with what school but a second poster (THEQB) who appears to be a Boerne fan or parent who even predicts the game will be over by half. Whoever 6 man is I highly doubt he is a Harvest dad or fan. I'm not saying its a Boerne parent but maybe a Harvest nay sayer trying to get under our skin. we have had plenty of those throughout the year just go back and read some posts.

I wasn't going to respond to 6 man but what the heck I'm on a roll. Kinda like when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor. (animal house reference) No disrespect intended. just trying to lighten the mood. No need to sling accusations back and forth.

Obviously not many people think Harvest will give Boerne a game as is apparent by the 36 point underdog that Harvest is predicted to lose by. You are right the teams in our district lost their first round games but I think that is a testament to the quality of football being played at this level. Boerne is ranked #1 for a reason they have a great team and have proven that every weekend. I won't comment on talent or scheme or any of that. And yes Coach Arrufat is well known and well respected. I will not concede that we will lose by 45 or by half or any of that I will gladly pay my $15.00 to watch two good teams play. They've both earned the right to be where they are by beating the opposing team. To say that one team had an easy path I think is ridiculous. We have no say in who we play in the playoffs. Hope to see lots of fans and a great game.

We are the Saints. That's who we are.

I pray that both teams play to the best of their ability and the game is injury free.

Maybe not so hot but that is my opinion.

Not that anyone cares, too much: but I'm pretty sure something I've read before implies that THEQB is from District 3.

As for the controversial post in question, the giveaways include the information Granger had, as well as some interesting phrase choices. There are sentences in that post that aren't consistent with a central Texas origin -- especially the old TAPPS D-2 District 4.

Anyway, syntactical evaluations aside, we're all looking forward to a good game, Friday night.

TexianDoc
(yes...yes I AM a Geneva Dad)

Funny how we have not heard back from 6 man sports again. Hmmmm...mum's the word?

For the purpose of having a little fun...how about predictions from everyone? Geneva's favorite score this year is 60-14 (4 times and two in a row), but it appears that Watauga has a bit more firepower offensively than Geneva's previous opponents (other than Water Valley).

Weather forecast is such that all facets of the game should be on display.

My prediction: Wait to hear yours first! (C'mon DSmith and HCASaints...I know you want to jump out there!)

Congratulations to Watauga on a fine season.

Way to go, Geneva School of Boerne Eagles...you just won your school's FIRST Football State Championship! The season could not have been more enjoyable due to the outstanding coaching, the phenomenal focus and performance by the players, and the total team effort from beginning to end. How poetic that all three seniors scored a touchdown tonight and how awesome things look for the future of the football program. Your fans are both proud and blessed to support you. What a fun ride and we look forward to many more great times ahead!

keerod08":174n6f26 said:
(H)ow awesome things look for the future of the football program.

5 Juniors
5 Sophomores
9 or 10 Freshman
Talented group of 8th graders rising, next year

This year's Freshmen:
Geneva's first undefeated season in ANY sport (last year, as 8th graders)
None of the freshmen have started in more than 2 losses in their Geneva careers.

I'm sure other Eagle fans and coaches can come up with more facts, like these.
Now the bad news: unless things change drastically, the clock is ticking towards our demotion to crowded-field.

TexianDoc

After seeing some of the messages I thought it best to stay off the boards until after the game. Didn't want to fuel any fire that was brewing.

CONGRATULATIONS to Geneva. Great finish to a dominating season. Geneva was clearly the best team last night and all season long.

What I don't understand is the size discrepancy between the two teams last night. The sheer numbers was like watching a public school 6A team playing a 2A team. TAPPS needs to revisit the way they classify these teams. Geneva if they stay in 6 man will most likely be dominate again next year they have 11 man size numbers and seems they should have been playing 11 man this year much less 6 man again next year considering they are only losing a few seniors. Willing to bet their numbers will be even bigger next year.

I made it no secret that I became a fan of the Harvest team this season. I have no ties to them or the school but I was rooting for them and will root for them next year if they continue to play with the class and dignity that they demonstrated this year. They are what is good about high school football not just TAPPS. They were the smallest team week in and week out not just in size but also in player numbers. Harvest may have lost the football game last night but they are winners in life by their conduct during the game and afterwards.

Harvest parents and supporters should be very proud of the boys that represented your school in a Christ like manner all year. I great testament to Coach Myers.

Congratulations to the Eagles of Geneva for their first TAPPS Sixman Division 1 State Championship. They are an incredible team and they deserve every accolade for their amazing season. Watauga Harvest salutes you and congratulates on your historic accomplishment. I enjoyed watching you play last night and appreciated the respect of your players. They are obviously well coached on and off the field. Good job guys.

Thank you to the Saints of Harvest Christian for an incredible season. Your first trip to the title game in 15 years since 1999. You played the underdog role most of the year and more than anything played with character and heart. You turned a lot of heads and gained much respect with you never give up attitude. Thank you Coach Myers and the Saints. Congratulations on a great season.

dbsmith,

I realize you may have little or no knowledge about football programming, and I know you have absolutely no knowledge about the specifics of our program; however, the reality is our numbers this year would not have come close to allowing us to play a varsity 11-man schedule. At the state game, our roster included

3 seniors
5 juniors, one of whom only kicks extra points and another who did not play a game this season b/c injury
5 sophomores, one of whom had a season ending injury
9 freshmen, two of whom play with regularity

These numbers are not 11-man numbers.

As for disparity or an advantage in our games, even the one last night, while the big number of freshmen made for better practices (scout team) and a stronger program, when we line up on the field, we play about 10 boys and our opponents generally do the same; however, most of our opponents were playing many more juniors and seniors. And this is D1 six-man, the schools are bigger. TAPPS expanded this group to allow schools like Emory-Weiner, Ovilla, and Katy Faith West that were too big to play six-man last classification. Also, I know Logos Prep, Emory-Weiner, Midland Trinity, Baytown, and probably several other had as many if not more players than us on their sideline. So if you have any issue, it may be with dropping Watauga down a level than that the teams they are playing have too many people.

One thing I will agree with you about is that the Harvest kids were a classy group of athletic kids. But for the unfortunate incident of a Harvest parent videoing our semi-final playoff game and it being uploaded on the Harvest HUDL account for coaches to see in violation of TAPPS rules, the Harvest program seemed to be very respectable. I judge a program almost exclusively on what our boys say about the other team and how they played on the field, and our boys said, to a man, that the Harvest players were a really good group of kids.

I congratulate the Harvest kids and coaching staff on a great year, and their fans for bringing a lot of spirit and support to the state game. HCASaints, I am very happy for you and what you got to experience this year. You are right to be very proud of your boys and program.

Not to take away from Watauga's accomplishments as noted above, but from a fan's standpoint, the HCA players/coaches/fans did appear to be respectful until the trophy/medal presentation. During the presentation of the runner-up trophy and medals to the Watauga coaches and players, the Geneva players/coaches/fans clapped and respectfully held celebrating until the completion of their presentation. However, for some reason, what appeared to be the entire Watauga home stand fans and all players did a full blown cheer during the presentation to the Geneva coaches and players while being announced over the PA system. Some names could not even be heard. Unified cheers are great, but the timing was poor. I am almost certain that it was not done on purpose, but perhaps food for thought in the future, should the talented bunch from Watauga make it back to the state championship.

In addition, DBsmith, you appear to have become a passionate Watauga fan, despite having no skin in the game (which I love about sports in general, that an impartial fan can adopt a team-especially one that appears to be an underdog), but I find it very disappointing for you to imply such a huge discrepancy in size (6A vs 2A...really?), fresh on the heels of the Geneva Eagles realizing a dream that they have been chasing after two oh-so-close, but yet so tough (Dallas Covenant) chances. This takes away from a group of boys that deserve full credit for achieving such an honor. This commentary would be better served in another thread, completely separate.

Dbsmith quote from previous post: "Harvest may have lost the football game last night but they are winners in life by their conduct during the game and afterwards."

I have to respond to the above quote. First off, I was at the game. And at the end of the game, the Geneva players went to mid field and respectfully faced the Watauga stands while quietly watching the TAPPS Officials present awards to the Watauga team. Even the Geneva fans, along with the Geneva players, were respectfully cheering for Watauga as each award was presented. As Geneva should. Then I was shocked when the Harvest band, fans, players, and coaches were cheering and chanting while the TAPPS Officials were attempting to present Geneva with their awards. I felt it was very disrespectful and I was simply embarrassed for the Watauga folks. So, dbsmith, as a witness of the game, I respectfully disagree with your quoted sentence. I did not see good-sportsmanship conduct after the game. I bring this topic up... hoping that we all learn a lesson to be mindful of our conduct and properly show respect to our opponents.

I am absolutely shocked at the replies to my earlier comments. Obviously Geneva has issues with me or with Harvest no idea which and no idea why. I congratulated Geneva a fantastic game and season, and I still do. I said in my opinion I thought they were the best team last night and all season. Their boys played great. I guess that's not good enough for them and now they feel the need to be critical of me and my lack of knowledge of football programming whatever that is. Sorry that I complemented the Harvest group on a good season. My comments were not meant to take anything away from Geneva at all I apologize if it came across that way. I guess I should not have made the prediction that Geneva will be dominate again next year, would you rather have had me say you will be bad?

Now in regards to numbers GSB you stated you guys had 22 players on the roster which are not 11 man numbers. In the TAPPS program last night it showed you had 26 players. So check your knowledge, and you're correct I know no specifics about the program other than what is reported to TAPPS. Harvest had 14 players.

In TAPPS division III 11man playoffs 2014 there were at least 4 teams that similar roster sizes as Geneva.

Dallas 1st Baptist 24 players
Irving the Highlands 22 players
Schertz John Paul 26 players
Bryan St. Joseph 29 players

So maybe they are 11 man numbers and these are just teams that made the playoffs.

I will agree with you that maybe Harvest should drop down they are even smaller in size than several 6 man division II schools and appear to more similar in size to division III schools. Maybe some food for thought Harvest.

6 man Division II schools in the playoffs 2014
Austin Veritas 21 players
Dallas Lakehill 19 players
Denton Calvary 18 players
Waco Live Oak 18 players
2 others had 16 players

6 man Division III schools in the playoffs 2014
Granbury North 19 players
Wichita Falls 16 players
San Marcos 15 players
Richardson 14 players
Longview 13 players

My issue was not and has never been with Geneva. I have no reason not to like the product they put on the field my issue was as I stated with TAPPS; or maybe even with Harvest administration for not playing in the appropriate division where they probably should be at least according to the numbers. I'm not familiar with their program either, again I have no tie to them.

As far as video or whatever I have no idea what you are talking about there. So I can't and won't comment. You sound like a very bitter person GSB considering your team just won state why can't you be happy?

I agree with Kee about the Harvest fans cheering during Geneva player awards I thought that was out of line and chalked it up to their inexperience and excitement of being there. They unlike Geneva had no idea what to do. I liked the fact that Geneva stood at midfield while Harvest was presented with their medals and thought that Harvest should have reciprocated hope they remember that if they ever make it back. That was classy of Geneva unlike the attacks at my lack of knowledge. HA. Check the numbers. Maybe TAPPS is giving out bad information.

Again CONGRATULATIONS TO GENEVA on a well deserved state championship.

I've already commented on the actions of the Harvest players and fans after the game. No excuse they were wrong and hopefully they will learn from that in the event that they ever make it back to a big game. Why beat a dead horse you Geneva fans are the unhappiest winners I've ever seen. I guess its easy to throw rocks when you live in a glass house.

When I said afterwards I was meaning in life. They seem to be a good bunch of kids who lost their minds while in the moment.

I stayed off here prior to the game to avoid all the drama and I thought it would be ok to give kudos to Geneva on a great season and Harvest on a good one. Guess I was wrong.

This is private school 6 man isn't it you guys act like its the SEC. Good thing its Sunday.

Back