Abilene Christian

Abilene had great class. They talked with Ira players after the game I'm sure with repect for one another. Ira is one if not the best team in the state and Abilene was 1 score away from victory. They're not comparing them Caveman they're just stating how the other teams matched up against top teams. IMHO I think these are 2 of some of the top teams in the state public or private, and they are both my picks for state. It was a great game on Friday played by 2 great teams. Good luck on the rest of the season.

Caveman I have read my post over many times and I dont see one place where I stated or implied ACHS was going to "hoist the state chamionship trophy". As a matter of fact I have never done anything close to that in any of my posts.
NOW I did compare our game with Ira to those you quoted out of context. the whole quote went like this.
1987":2aak4pp7 said:
Going in to the playoffs we know they (ACHS) faced the best and in the last minutes they still had a shot to win. Thats more than Austin Hill Country (36 point loss to RS) or Dallas Covenant (20 point loss to Throckmorton) can say.
According to the rankings on this site Ira is the best. And with 2 minutes left ACHS still had a shot for the win. I dont know where you got confused with the point I was trying to make.
AHC played the whole game with RS and that set the bar in this private vs. public debate. Then DC lost by twenty and the bar was moved up quite a bit. Then enter ACHS (alot of peoples punching bag) and they blow the bar off the stands. ACHS was out scored 22-6 in the first quarter. Which I guess was nerves and excited energy had alot to do with. Then they went on to out score Ira in every quarter after that.
You are one of those on here that keep bringing up all the talk and the "chest-beating" of last year. Did they beat YOUR team a long they way ? It seems to me you are just waiting for ACHS to stumble so you can be the first one to say "Ha !! All you Abilene fans are wrong". If so than you need to get away from the computer for a while and not take all this bantering so seriously.

1987, then what exactly was the point of making that comparison, other than to say Abilene is the better of those 3 teams?

Based on your last post, I believe it is you who taking this a bit too seriously. The fact is ACHS fans have been the most vocal the last year and a half in their "Look at us...we are superior...we get no respect" rhetoric.

Caveman, not saying ACHS is superior just that they performed better that the other two while on the "big stage". I Know its different teams, different venues and different situations but you play the teams your scheduled. But you know that once playoff time gets here that will be a mental aspect that the boys will have when they take the field (We almost beat the best public school. We can play with anyone) Weather it will be an advantage or not we'll have to wait and see.
I know you have no patience for Abilene fans who guarantee wins or demand respect before they earned it. I agree with you. I have never done such and you can look at my post on the "Who can beat Abilene Christian" thread and see I called those fans out myself. So please don't lump me in with them. I didn't join this board till this season so can't comment on last year. As a matter of fact I have not even read those posts.
I do believe one of the top four will win it all and after the way ACHS played last week they have just as good a chance as the others. Not guaranteeing a win but feeling a lot better about their chances.

One thing I want to point out that seems to have been ignored, ACHS never once had the lead in the whole game. You can make excuses for "nerves" or whtever but what about Ira's nerves then. There was so much pressure on the Ira boys that they didnt play their usual either. Fact is fact Ira is winner plain and simple, a win is a win no matter what the final score is. Yes ACHS is a solid team period and they will get their chance to prove it when it comes time

I do agree, ACHS is in a different class in TAPPS Division 1 along with Dallas Covenant, Bracken and Hill Country. Too bad the bracket didn't shape out as a north potential semi-final of ACHS v. Covenant and a south potential semi-final of Bracken v. Hill Country.

Let me get this straight Ira is the best team in the state because they beat Rankin by 6 in the final seconds. So where does that put Water Valley who beat Rankin?

Mustangs":30gevem7 said:
Let me get this straight Ira is the best team in the state because they beat Rankin by 6 in the final seconds. So where does that put Water Valley who beat Rankin?

That puts WV as a pretty dang good team too.

WV sounds like they're awful good. So does Ira. I bet Sands is just itching for a rematch. And Rankin. BC ain't no push over. GC is a heck of a lot better than people are giving them credit for. So is Fort Davis. This is one awful tough region. The playoffs should be fun to watch.

Class, we're getting a bit off topic with the WV talk.

1987":2gbrwcef said:
I agree Caveman. I would like to know how the seeding was decided on.

As I understand, it's a random draw by TAPPS, so no logic involved. Kind of like the World Series where the Cardinals get home field advantage because the National League won the All-Star game, even though the Cardinals snuck into the playoffs while the Rangers won their division and almost won 100 games during the regular season. Sorry, now I'm taking us off topic.

You sure right OFB, cant count out Aspermont either, I havnt seen them this year yet, and I know Aspermont hasnt played anyone solid this year but cant count them out yet. This will be a crazy playoff run to state very intresting

ryry, why do you always suggest Ira didn't play like they usually do? Seemed like they played pretty darn good to me. Had good runs and only one turnover on a fumble. Ever think maybe the other team is that good? Now Abilene missed several opportunities they usually don't miss. For example, missing open receivers and dropping some passes. It just wasn't their best night. But don't get me wrong, Ira did have a great team and the best Abilene is probably going to play so I'm not taking away from them. So they deserve credit because they had something to do with it also.

ACHS83'":3e8axuuv said:
ryry, why do you always suggest Ira didn't play like they usually do? Seemed like they played pretty darn good to me. Had good runs and only one turnover on a fumble. Ever think maybe the other team is that good? Now Abilene missed several opportunities they usually don't miss. For example, missing open receivers and dropping some passes. It just wasn't their best night. But don't get me wrong, Ira did have a great team and the best Abilene is probably going to play so I'm not taking away from them. So they deserve credit because they had something to do with it also.

ryry has done nothing but commend ACHS. As for a team not having their best night, I believe that has been said by fans of both sides. As for Shane, he gave thought to the idea they made each other look like it wasn't their best night due to them both being outstanding football teams. Maybe I'm missing something, but it appears your digging a bottom less hole.

I am very glad this game happened to take place. It was a great game. Ira and ACHS played their hearts out. I love a game like that. BUT.

You know there had to be a but, in fact reading this thread all the way through there have been several BUTTS!!!!

I am gonna just stick with my but here. You match two highly touted teams on the field, someone is gonna lose. In this game it was the ACHS Panthers that lost. Was Ira the better team? Lots of folks will say ACHS was better. Ira won. You that know me know that I try to follow all Six-Man and I am heavy on watching public schools, much more so than private schools.

I am friends with the Head Coach on both of these teams as well as lots of other Head Coaches that I have met in the last 8 or 9 years. I know a few players on each of the teams as well. I go to these games knowing someone will come out on the short end of the stick. Knowing may have been settled at all by Ira beating ACHS. But................they played. They took their best shot at each other and when it was over Ira was on top.

Really, what made me sit down as this ungodly hour to write anything at all is I was remembering a few years ago, 2005 to be exact. Throckmorton won their state championship going 15-0 and ACHS won their state championship going 13-1 losing to Aspermont by 8. Lots of people wanted to see those two teams get it on. Never happened. Well it did sort of. They played at Shotwell Stadium in Abilene the next year and Throckmorton defeated ACHS 59-40. They were both different teams from the year before. What was proved in that game was Throckmorton was 19 points better that next season but we still don't know and never will know who was best in 2005.

Ira was 8 points better this year by the score on the field. That brings me to my next question, what is the meaning of life?

Don Hardin
Abilene

Back