Newcastle #2 in DII?

If the #44 overall ranked team put 84 points on the #2 overall ranked team it looks like one of them is ranked wrong. Newcastle lost to the #13 ranked team by 12 and the #2 ranked team by 28 while scoring 84 on them. I usually stay away from Rankings as the winner in each division is #1. It’s just that by the rankings, how can Newcastle be #44?

Nowadays you got to take into account that now we have two divisions. After 2006 football season, all things changed. This give small schools like Benjamin a chance to be where they are. I doubt Benjamin wins 2 titles, let alone make it there if there was only one division even with Rigdon. Using stats up to that point is valid.
I am young but old enough to remember a spread back I thought was equal to Tyler Ethredge but didn't have the same weapons as he did, Tanner Woods of Follet. Look up his stats. He was a beast who didn't have the amazing support cast to win a ring although they made playoff runs every year.

Last edited:
There is no perfect computer system that can properly rank all the teams. Rankings are subjective. So regardless of how any of the teams were ranked, especially with this many teams, someone would argue that some team is wrong.

Knox City beat Westbrook. Westbrook beat Happy. Happy beat Knox City. How should those three teams be ranked in relation to one another?

Newcastle only beat the #75 ranked team by 4. Should they only be 4 points higher than Gold-Burg or 28 points lower than Benjamin? They can't be both...

There are always going to be things to point out to say well this team should be here, or that team should be there. The thing is, it's impossible for any computer, or human for that matter, to perfectly rank all the teams so that everyone is satisfied. This is great news for us, though, because if that were possible the games would be boring!

I'd also like to point out that The Toy, for the second year in a row, finished in the top 10% in the playoff pick'em, at #14 with a 54-8 record. Not too shabby for a computer...especially one that is so terrible at rankings...

Comes up every year. Seldom is the losing team in the state game the second best team in the state. I believe it was 2019 when Strawn 45’d Follet easily. Both Iredell and the team that Strawn played after Iredell (I forget who it was but they played in Alvarado) could have beat Follet. Just happens every year for all the previously noted reasons. Unless you want to do away with the two divisions and travel great distances between games to ensure top ranked teams don’t face each other until deep in the playoffs, it’s going to happen.

This subject is all based on personal conjecture at this point. The season has concluded, the games have been played. The champion has been crowned and everything else is just "what if's". With that said, I believe Newcastle to be the 2nd best team in D2, but that holds zero merit because they got beat in the 2nd round. The process is what it is, and I suppose it allows us discussion material to get us through the grind until next football season.

Comes up every year. Seldom is the losing team in the state game the second best team in the state. I believe it was 2019 when Strawn 45’d Follet easily. Both Iredell and the team that Strawn played after Iredell (I forget who it was but they played in Alvarado) could have beat Follet. Just happens every year for all the previously noted reasons. Unless you want to do away with the two divisions and travel great distances between games to ensure top ranked teams don’t face each other until deep in the playoffs, it’s going to happen.
Agreed. We're in TAPPS D3, and the best team we played this year was Nazarene Christian (regular season and semifinal) and it wasn't even close. We won the championship the week before the final.

This subject is all based on personal conjecture at this point. The season has concluded, the games have been played. The champion has been crowned and everything else is just "what if's". With that said, I believe Newcastle to be the 2nd best team in D2, but that holds zero merit because they got beat in the 2nd round. The process is what it is, and I suppose it allows us discussion material to get us through the grind until next football season.
I agree with Coach. Gotta have a little fun since we lost a part of our souls this week. Now to fill the void until August.
Congrats Mike.

Just for fun....
In the playoffs Gordon beat #4 Westbrook, #6 Abbott, #9 Jonesboro, #23 Milford, #36 St Jo
Without a doubt Milford battled them the hardest. Milford is #2 in my book.

I did start this thread with more than one thought in mind. First, my opening post, then a couple of thoughts since (like deserved recognition for Newcastle). Also, though to stir things up. Season's over, no more games to speculate or debate over next week. I know from past history most posters will pretty much disappear from here. Yes, I thought it might stimulate a legitimate discussion (imo) a few more days and postpone the inevitable a few more.
I wasn't really thinking about the Toy per se. After perusing the site for near 20 years now and commenting for 15 I realize it's not perfect, it makes what we sometimes think are mistakes and maybe occasionally they are. It is an awesome "Toy" though, refined over the years by Guru and now Mike. It get's better as a year progresses every year, with more info to work with. Better than anyone posting on here usually, me included.

Then there is this. Strawn and Newcastle are in the same district as many know. SHS started the year getting 45'd by then top 10 Crowell but they put up 55, a ray of hope? They 45'd Dallas Lutheran the next week. Then came Gordon, they made it to the 3rd quarter. Then they won four in a row big, 45'ing 3 of them.
Seasoned I thought, Newcastle lost to Jonesboro, maybe they could make a game of it. They put up 24 points but were 45'd. Newcastle is good, up there with Crowell or better, maybe not too far behind Gordon. I remembered they had a couple of backs from the prior year that were all region or maybe honorable mention all state or second team, who were seniors this year (King and Strawbridge it turns out) along with most of the team.
I tried to watch the Strawn - Newcastle game on line. No connection/signal/bars, the announcers came through twice for maybe 30 seconds during pregame. I heard Coach Mallory and Shane Mallory and thought what? He's the superintendent. Asking about this on here I was told he was helping out as the oc. Great HC to have them where they were the last two years. But, Okay I thought eventually. With Coach Mallory calling plays for a talented, experienced offense, they could put up 84 on Benjamin.

51eleven, Unfortunately you are right. Since all games are over, there will be a few more crickets on here, myself included but not intentional.
However, we do have realignment in February and not to forget the coaching carousel that is bound to start up soon. So there is some good stuff ahead.

Would you dare to say if Rigdon had stayed at Strawn, that he would be 45-0? If so, the kids in his grade would also be 45-0 with 3 three rings. Are they better than Ethridge? I venture to say no, so stats still make an argument for validity.
"Environment" is determined by the competitive nature of both teams (talent). Not everyone can be at every game to view the "environment", so we have to have stats to better understand the "environment" with context. I wouldn't call anyone lazy, dim, or biased who uses stats.
Its stats + context = reasoning.
And at the end of the day is still a personal opinion. Any "the best" conversation is just an opinion. I have enough self confidence to not worry if someone thinks their opinion is "right" making mine invalid. *yawn

51eleven, Unfortunately you are right. Since all games are over, there will be a few more crickets on here, myself included but not intentional.
However, we do have realignment in February and not to forget the coaching carousel that is bound to start up soon. So there is some good stuff ahead.
Speaking of coaching carousel, I sure am interested to see who we end up with. We have some pretty decent speed.

It is nice to see the Texas Sixman Coaches Association recognize Newcastle. While the DII Region 2 MVP is Grayson Rigdon, the Defensive MVP is Tallon Hayes and the Newcomer of the year is Keegan Hayes, Coach of the Year is Isaih Archer and Staff of Newcastle.

Also, 1st team SB is Issac King, TE is Ty Strawbridge and the Tight Center is Lucas Owen, all of Newcastle. Also of note for me is the 1st team Fullback, Robert Hinkson of Strawn.

Note, this is mis labeled as Region 1.

Nowadays you got to take into account that now we have two divisions. After 2006 football season, all things changed. This give small schools like Benjamin a chance to be where they are. I doubt Benjamin wins 2 titles, let alone make it there if there was only one division even with Rigdon. Using stats up to that point is valid.
I am young but old enough to remember a spread back I thought was equal to Tyler Ethredge but didn't have the same weapons as he did, Tanner Woods of Follet. Look up his stats. He was a beast who didn't have the amazing support cast to win a ring although they made playoff runs every year.
I played against Tanner Woods and he was the best player I played against. And I played against a very good East all star team when there was no division split. Mason Pierce is another name that needs to be mentioned as well. Tanner didn't make the playoffs his senior year. Wheeler and Samnorwood did.

Back