Round 1 Playoff Predictions

There are 63 folks who have submitted round one picks so far. I hope y'all all remember to come back for round two!

There's still room for more, y'all! Who else?

103 people listed, that’s awesome engagement! We never got that many, even if you combined the last 2 years I made a thread to do it! Great job & congrats, Mike!

103 people listed, that’s awesome engagement! We never got that many, even if you combined the last 2 years I made a thread to do it! Great job & congrats, Mike!

I can't take credit for this. It was y'all's idea. I think picking like this instead of having to type out the picks just makes it easier so folks are more likely to take the time to do it.

Ok, so I just made a change here, but after installing the update I realized it's missing something. 🤦‍♂️

I've added a "Pick distribution" page. On that page you'll be able to see the percentage of picks for one team vs the other. The progress bar displays that. The number that you're seeing there is the average spread for that team. Then, if you've picked a winner for that game, you'll see a check mark next to the team you picked to win.

What's missing here is that I'd like to show how many members have picked each team to win, along with a way to click on that number to see a list of all the members who picked that team. I won't get to either of those things tonight, but that is coming. I just need to find a good way to display both numbers (member count and spread) in a way that makes sense. I'm thinking the member count will go where the spread is now and the spread will move to the far right side.

Anyways, hope you guys like the way I've done the pick distributions. As always, I'm open for suggestions on ways to make it better. I'll try to finish up on the few changes I've mentioned tomorrow evening.

So I realized that there was a bug that prevented the check mark from showing up if you picked the second team in the list. So, while I fixed that right quick I also went ahead and added the pick count. So now the first number is the number of members who picked that team to win. The number at the end is the average spread for that team.

Ok, so I just made a change here, but after installing the update I realized it's missing something. 🤦‍♂️

I've added a "Pick distribution" page. On that page you'll be able to see the percentage of picks for one team vs the other. The progress bar displays that. The number that you're seeing there is the average spread for that team. Then, if you've picked a winner for that game, you'll see a check mark next to the team you picked to win.

What's missing here is that I'd like to show how many members have picked each team to win, along with a way to click on that number to see a list of all the members who picked that team. I won't get to either of those things tonight, but that is coming. I just need to find a good way to display both numbers (member count and spread) in a way that makes sense. I'm thinking the member count will go where the spread is now and the spread will move to the far right side.

Anyways, hope you guys like the way I've done the pick distributions. As always, I'm open for suggestions on ways to make it better. I'll try to finish up on the few changes I've mentioned tomorrow evening.
$100 entry fee would be nice! Just kidding....kinda!

Looks good Mike! Only thing I might add at some point would be to show the toy’s picks and spreads on a separate line for each game for quick reference

Looks good Mike! Only thing I might add at some point would be to show the toy’s picks and spreads on a separate line for each game for quick reference

Sure, I can do that. I noticed another bug that shows a check mark on a random team for folks who aren't logged in so when I fix that, this evening, I'll try to see what I can do about getting The Toy's prediction in there somewhere too.

$100 entry fee would be nice! Just kidding....kinda!
If this was done I suspect there would be a drop in engagement unless there was something like a “premium pick em” that people could enter for a fee in which I would think there would need to be some sort of prize for winning to get people to sign up. I wouldn’t mind that, personally and would probably sign up. Although I’m guessing you could run into state gambling law issues. 🤷🏻 I don’t know that as fact but would suggest it be researched.

So I realized that there was a bug that prevented the check mark from showing up if you picked the second team in the list. So, while I fixed that right quick I also went ahead and added the pick count. So now the first number is the number of members who picked that team to win. The number at the end is the average spread for that team.
Some interesting observations here:

1) Very interesting to see that only Balmorhea was the only unanimous pick in the entire bracket.
2) It is interesting to see what I assume are some 'homer' picks in there.
3) Also interesting to see the differences in my own picks, where teams I picked to 45 another, may have 10-15% of the votes for that team, winning by a couple of touchdowns.
4) Some teams had easy schedules this season (IMO some of them may be exposed in the playoffs, as they haven't had a true test), so it is interesting to see some of these picks and their average spreads.

D1 Picks

R1 - Knox City over Happy
R2 - Westbrook over Rankin
R3 - Abbott over Gordon
R4 - May over Jonesboro

D2 Picks

R1 - Balmorhea over Whitharral
R2 - Benjamin over Jayton
R3 - Bluff Dale over Oglesby
R4 - Cherokee over Loraine

Such tough choices for all the brackets. Think.its gonna be hard for teams to beat really good teams twice.

I have lots of questions though...

Cedric Ware, is he 100% yet?

Can Benjamin, even without being truly tested or pushed, go wire to wire?

Is Region 3 in D1 the most wide open?

Who are we, aka the masses, sleeping on?

Who has upset potential?

I'm actually most surprised by the Westbrook/Garden City results. Garden City has already beat Westbrook earlier in the season and Westbrook is still picked to win by a member count of 135-16. I really thought that one would be a lot closer in the polls.

I'm actually most surprised by the Westbrook/Garden City results. Garden City has already beat Westbrook earlier in the season and Westbrook is still picked to win by a member count of 135-16. I really thought that one would be a lot closer in the polls.
Not making excuses. Go back and look at Ware playing time in that game. Westbrook had a 24-8 lead when Ware hurt his foot. He did try to play but he wasn’t 100%

Also consider Westbrook first 5 games (including GC). That’s a brutal schedule.

I think it will come down to who is healthiest, turnovers and whose ground game is the best.

Not making excuses. Go back and look at Ware playing time in that game. Westbrook had a 24-8 lead when Ware hurt his foot. He did try to play but he wasn’t 100%

Also consider Westbrook first 5 games (including GC). That’s a brutal schedule.

I think it will come down to who is healthiest, turnovers and whose ground game is the best.

Oh yeah, I realize that. I'm not saying I'm surprised people are picking Westbrook to win. I figured they'd probably be the favorite. I just didn't expect it to be so lopsided.

Oh yeah, I realize that. I'm not saying I'm surprised people are picking Westbrook to win. I figured they'd probably be the favorite. I just didn't expect it to be so lopsided.
I gotcha. Yea it was pretty lopsided.

Man there is going to be some good games this first week.

Back