Future Changes (Suggestions Welcome) 2023-24 Edition

Mike,
You might not be the GOAT, Granger kinda' has that one tied up, but you are clearly the Bomb-digitty and that ain't bad. The innovations you've made/added are a lot like Granger taking things from nothing to the Huntress Report to this website. For old guys like me that have seen the site grow and change over the years it's like night and day. I would never disparage Granger and I get a kick outta' reading what he says anytime he posts but you keep doing what you're doing and someday people might say, "I remember a guy name Granger started this website a long time ago." Now if I could just get this in green...

Mike,
You might not be the GOAT, Granger kinda' has that one tied up, but you are clearly the Bomb-digitty and that ain't bad. The innovations you've made/added are a lot like Granger taking things from nothing to the Huntress Report to this website. For old guys like me that have seen the site grow and change over the years it's like night and day. I would never disparage Granger and I get a kick outta' reading what he says anytime he posts but you keep doing what you're doing and someday people might say, "I remember a guy name Granger started this website a long time ago." Now if I could just get this in green...

Yeah, I'm definitely not trying to out-do him. There are definitely parts of the site "ahem...rankings" that he had a much better handle on than me. I'm just doing what I can, the best I can, and hoping it all turns out for the best.

Anyway to show week to week rankings movement?
Up, down, or no change.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240904_140810_Samsung Internet.webp
    Screenshot_20240904_140810_Samsung Internet.webp
    69.2 KB · Views: 6
Anyway to show week to week rankings movement?
Up, down, or no change.

That may be something I look to add in the future, but probably not something I'll get to now. I don't actually store ranking numbers for any weeks other than the current week. In fact, even when you view the current week's rankings, it's not actually showing the ranking that I have saved in the database. It's using a quick counter that just increments each time it prints a new team in the list and resets to 1 if the division changes.

I'm not saying it's not something I won't/can't add in the future. It's just not something that's easily accessible right now and I'm not sure when I'll have the time to figure out the best way to store/access that data. I will look into it when I can, though.

Mike,

Been thinking about a Pick 'em suggestion or two:

* Re-arrange games in order (or somehow break out completed games vs upcoming) - not that important, but would be cool.

* Where there's the green checkmark today to represent what we picked:

Use blue dot for our pick in games that are not completed (or something besides green checkmark. (mouse-over still show our spread)
Use green check for our pick in complete games that we guess correct - update mouse-over spread to be +/- points (I guessed 6, they win by 10, display "+ 4")
Use red X for our pick in complete games that we guessed wrong - update mouse-over spread to be +/- points

* OR -- a "Results" page for this (each?) week with games in tables:
TeamScore*OPT SMFB Spread*My SpreadPoints
Happy448126
Rankin38
Avalon4645
Gholson01
47​
(maybe highlight correct-pick rows in green, incorrect in red?)

I think this would be easier to see what we didn't get right when we see our record for the week

Re-arrange games in order (or somehow break out completed games vs upcoming) - not that important, but would be cool.

This is a good idea. I'm actually not sure why I never thought to order the games before, but I'll add something to order them by game time.

Where there's the green checkmark today to represent what we picked:

Use blue dot for our pick in games that are not completed (or something besides green checkmark. (mouse-over still show our spread)
Use green check for our pick in complete games that we guess correct - update mouse-over spread to be +/- points (I guessed 6, they win by 10, display "+ 4")
Use red X for our pick in complete games that we guessed wrong - update mouse-over spread to be +/- points

I think you're definitely right here. The green check does seem to imply that you got that one right. I'll make a change there. I like the green check/red X idea, and I'll do something else to indicate picks in incomplete game. Actually, a blue dot sounds fine to me. I'll definitely make a change here.

I like the idea of adding something to indicate your points gained from each game too, but it's not likely to be something that's a mouse-over action because over half of the people who visit this site are on mobile devices and those have no mouse-over so I try to keep mouse-over actions to a bare minimum. Again, we'll make a change of some sort here.

OR -- a "Results" page for this (each?) week with games in tables:

This should be simple enough to make, but I'm thinking it might be a bit redundant with the pick distribution page changes. Let's see how that goes once I have a chance to get those changes made.

Earlier today I had a suggestion, that I knew wouldn't take long to implement, so there is now a new block on the team archive pages that lists all the years that we have data on for that team, along with the team's record for that season.

The block is directly below the team's game listing for that year, and it's on all team archive pages.

To see the block, check out any team's archive page. Here is an example: https://sixmanfootball.com/teams/balmorhea-bears.1036/archive

Been thinking about a Pick 'em suggestion or two:

* Re-arrange games in order (or somehow break out completed games vs upcoming) - not that important, but would be cool.

* Where there's the green checkmark today to represent what we picked:

I think this would be easier to see what we didn't get right when we see our record for the week

So I've made the changes we talked about and they should be live on the site before tomorrow's games start.

Turns out the games were already sorted by game start time so I didn't make a change there. I may eventually make a change where completed games are listed at the top, regardless of start time, but that's not really a quick change and I didn't have the time to spend on that right now.

For the pick markers, all your picks in incomplete games will be a gray user icon. Once the game is complete it'll either change to a green check mark, or a red X, depending on whether you picked right or wrong in that game.

Back