Future Changes (Suggestions Welcome) 2023-24 Edition

I made a few changes with a quick update today. The first thing is I added each team's "SoS" to the game matchup pages. I also added a link to the matchup pages from the spreads page. This was actually manually added yesterday but just installed permanently today.

New Feature Alert!

I know, I'm dramatic...but today I've added a small feature that I think most folks on this site will like. If you navigate to the live scoreboard, you'll now see a "Quick search" search box above the scores. Typing into that box will only search for scores that match your search term.

You can search for anything that's in the block, including team name, score, time remaining, and quarter. If you're looking for a final score of a particular team, just start typing that team's name, or mascot name. If you want to only show games that are finals, type "final" into the box. Want to see games that are still in the first quarter? Just type in "1st".

I've only been able to test this on my computer, and my phone, but I'm hopeful it will work for everyone. Please let me know if you encounter any issues so I can work to get them fixed ASAP.

Also, I am working to get this added to the main scores page, too, but I've run into a snag with the way they display that I'm still trying to work out. It will be added soon!

Kick all these Pop-Ups I’m getting to the curb.

If you're getting any popups, when you're logged in, please take a screenshot and send it to me so I can forward it to the ad company that manages the ads on the site. Please be sure to include the navigation bar, so it's clear that you're logged in. There aren't supposed to be any kind of popup ads, or video players, or anything like that, for folks who are logged in.

If you're logged in, and on desktop, you should have one banner ad at the top of the page and one sticky ad at the bottom of the screen. If you're on a mobile device, such as a phone, you should only see the sticky ad at the bottom of the page, and maybe the occasional ad inside the forum threads, between posts.

When I got my supporter membership, all the pop ups etc went away and being able to maneuver the site became a lot easier. Nothing is free. Before becoming a supporter, I had to work around pop ups etc.

I'm not sure what pop-ups y'all are talking about, other than the video player, and that shouldn't display for anyone who is logged in, regardless of whether they have the supporter membership or not. I've browsed the site for hours on my wife's account and have never seen a pop-up, unless I'm logged out. I've submitted a support ticket with the ad company, too, and they repeatedly tell me it shouldn't be happening for folks who are logged in.

Again, if someone could provide me with a screenshot of what you're seeing, I could better troubleshoot why it's showing up and get the ad company to remove it, if it's something that's not supposed to be there, and if it's a pop-up, it's not.

Ugh! I was finally able to figure out the issue with the "quick search" on the main scores page, so it's now live on that page too. Simply type some key words into that block to remove any game that doesn't have text that matches your search term.

Now that I have finally worked all that out, I also wanted to add a quick note that it's very likely that within the next few weeks, if I can figure out how to make it work, the live scoreboard and the main scores pages will be merged into a single page. I'll probably show games without scores on this same page. Basically, ever game will be listed on the scores page, with whatever score we have for it.

Here's how I'm thinking it'll work...

At the top will be all the live scores, in their own block, similar to how the date blocks are on the main scores page. I'll simply add a "Live scoreboard" block at the top of the page.

All the final scores will follow, and will look exactly like they do now. Worth noting that now that we have the quick search, simply typing the word "final" into the quick search will only show final scores, just like how it looks right now.

Finally, after all that, I'll add another block for "Scores needed", which will list all the games we don't have a live score, or a final score, for. This is simply so that if someone uses the quick search to search for their team's score, they'll see that we still have it as a 0-0 score. As it is now, the game won't show up on either page if we don't have any score for it.

This might be a long shot idea but if the toy has collective data rankings/rating numbers over previous seasons, could we have a “matchup simulator”. This could also be used to run predictions for current season games.
Example 1: 2016 Richland Springs vs 1998 Trinidad
Example 2: This season Knox City vs Perrin Witt for the probable d1 district 6 championship game.

This might be a long shot idea but if the toy has collective data rankings/rating numbers over previous seasons, could we have a “matchup simulator”. This could also be used to run predictions for current season games.
Example 2: This season Knox City vs Perrin Witt for the probable d1 district 6 championship game.

That data does exist, but something like this is probably not posible, with that data, because The Toy has been tweaked so many times, and is so different, through the years. For example, the 2004 Richland Springs team had a final rating of 245.3. That would put them ranked at #106 this season.

I could do a matchup simulator for the current year, but not from within past years. I'll look into that and see what I can come up with.

Now that I have finally worked all that out, I also wanted to add a quick note that it's very likely that within the next few weeks, if I can figure out how to make it work, the live scoreboard and the main scores pages will be merged into a single page.

Well, it didn't take a few weeks, like I thought it might. Working until 4am Sunday morning and 2am this morning I was able to get it done sooner. 😴 Anyways, all scores (live and finals) will only be shown on the main scores page now. No more separate live scoreboard page. I think with the addition of the quick search on the scores page, it will be much faster for folks to find scores, if we have them, with everything being right there.

Please note, I've also added a quick search to the spreads page, too, to make it easier to find spreads for specific games, or teams.

There was a site awhile ago, like 10-15 years ago that had a matchup simulator. It was pretty fun throwing different teams in it and seeing the predicted outcome. I can't remember who or where it was....

Back