Future Changes (Suggestions Welcome) 2023-24 Edition

Mike

Six-man master
Administrator
So I've done one of these at around this time for the last few years and thought it'd be a good idea to do it once again. I've got a lot of things I'd like to update during this off-season, and this list will be updated to reflect where the priorities are, but feel free to list any suggestions y'all have too so I can consider getting those added to the list.

Once again, a list of things I'm looking to get done this off-season in preparation for next year:

• Get the weekly pick 'em sorted. I dropped the ball on this one last year. Actually, I didn't drop the ball. I just couldn't figure it out in time. I do believe I have a solution now, and this will be my #1 priority this off-season.
  • Expand live scores throughout the site. In many places on the site, where we show individual games, we either don't list a score or only show final scores. For example, we don't show scores on the broadcasts page and we only show final scores on the playoff bracket info box. I want to expand on that so that we're showing live scores, if we have that data, and a final score doesn't exist.
  • Create box/list views for main scores and live scores page. Right now we're showing a list of scores on the main score page and a block view on the live scoreboard. I'm going to make it so that members can filter those pages by what they want to see (default, starting next year, will be the block view).
  • No more scores in the forums. 😲 After 20+ years, I think it's time to move on from having scores in the forums. Starting next year, I'd like to only have all scores listed in a single place. Live scores on the live scoreboard page and final scores on the final score page. So, starting next season, in all likelihood, the score central forum will simply redirect members to the main scores page. ✅
  • List view for playoff brackets. Sometimes the playoff brackets can be a little hard to read, especially if you're on a mobile device. So, just like the scores pages, I want to create a filter option to allow members to change those to be a list view of playoff games instead.
  • Possible merging of final/live scores pages. I'm still not entirely sure I want to do this but I'm leaning towards it. The thought is to have a single page, with filters that members can use to choose between all scores, live scores, or final scores. Again, it's just about making things easier to find and I think having all scores in a single location does just that.
  • Separate rankings for playoff teams. This is another one that was suggested last year that I simply didn't get to so, hopefully, I'll be able to give this a look before next season.
  • Better team archives such as showing common opponents and records in those games.

As always, if you have any suggestions on how to make the site better, or easier to use, please list those here. I can't guarantee they'll all be implemented, but I can guarantee they'll all be considered.

Last edited:
Add a venmo or zelle to take payments on bets.;)

Ugh Frustrated GIF by Equipe de France de Football

Don't know if this is possible, but you should do something to what the old LoneStarFootball.net website used to have where on the team pages a list of each team's most common opponents.

I do have a different plan for the team pages, which will make them drastically different than they are now. That said, I do like that idea. I'll look into adding something like that somewhere. Thank you for the suggestion!

First, love the site as it has given me a window into sixman football as my son started playing a couple years ago.

I would like to see a scoreboard filter by Division, so if I want to see all TAPPs D2 scores I can see that in a single place. Maybe a landing page for each division to show rankings and standings for their division and last weeks scores.

I would like to see a scoreboard filter by Division, so if I want to see all TAPPs D2 scores I can see that in a single place. Maybe a landing page for each division to show rankings and standings for their division and last weeks scores.

Yeah, I think that's something that could be doable with the filters I'm adding for the list view and live/final scores.

We do already have a divisions page, and I'll try to get some more information added to that for next season (division/district records for example).

One idea that I’ve had before is a in-depth analysis of each matchup similar to how it is listed on maxpreps. The way this would work is there would be a button on the schedules tab and on the individual team schedules for each game. This tab would show a season recap for each team like a comparison of home, away, and neutral site records for that season, common opponents for that season, (If Westbrook is playing Rankin that week, and both Westbrook and Rankin have played similar opponents ( Buena Vista, Ira,) it would show each team’s record vs those teams compared to the other. Lastly it would show each team’s individual rankings in the overall standings as well in their respective classifications and as well as league( if they aren’t in the same already, like if a UIL is playing a Tapps school it would show the UIL schools ranking vs the TAPPS schools ranking. For an example look into the pictures below.

Attachments

• IMG_9346.png
    IMG_9346.png
    477.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_9347.png
    IMG_9347.png
    307.6 KB · Views: 9
I agree! It would be awesome to have though. No doubt it would take active coaches to maintain and keep up to date.

I know there are quite a few coaches who would keep it up, but by "quite a few" I'm talking about less than a tenth. Less than half the schools even have a coach with an account associated with the school. Now, that could be because they just haven't asked me to associate them yet, or it could be that a lot of those coaches don't frequent this site. I'm not sure which.

One idea that I’ve had before is a in-depth analysis of each matchup similar to how it is listed on maxpreps. The way this would work is there would be a button on the schedules tab and on the individual team schedules for each game. This tab would show a season recap for each team like a comparison of home, away, and neutral site records for that season, common opponents for that season, (If Westbrook is playing Rankin that week, and both Westbrook and Rankin have played similar opponents ( Buena Vista, Ira,) it would show each team’s record vs those teams compared to the other. Lastly it would show each team’s individual rankings in the overall standings as well in their respective classifications and as well as league( if they aren’t in the same already, like if a UIL is playing a Tapps school it would show the UIL schools ranking vs the TAPPS schools ranking. For an example look into the pictures below.

Yeah, I like all of that. Definitely something I'll look into. Thanks!

I've considered that since I took over but I think that's something that would be incredibly difficult to get and maintain for each team.
If even 1 coach from each district would gather and submit the info at the start of each season for all teams in the district then it would, at the least, be a starting point. Having it up to date from week to week I know would be very hard as players get shuffled due to injuries or whatever the circumstances. I mean I’m sure all these coaches have plenty of free time at the start of each new season! Lol

If even 1 coach from each district would gather and submit the info at the start of each season for all teams in the district then it would, at the least, be a starting point. Having it up to date from week to week I know would be very hard as players get shuffled due to injuries or whatever the circumstances. I mean I’m sure all these coaches have plenty of free time at the start of each new season! Lol

I'll consider it. If I get everything else I want done, and have the time to code it, I think it might be worth at least trying. The worst that could happen is we have a bunch of blank roster pages.

I'll consider it. If I get everything else I want done, and have the time to code it, I think it might be worth at least trying. The worst that could happen is we have a bunch of blank roster pages.
With the difficulty of gathering that information, I personally wouldn’t devote lots of time to it at this point. You keep making improvements every year and over time, hopefully, more and more people will come here for any and everything 6man. then maybe it will be easier to gather information like that as the site grows and hopefully more and more coaches turn to it. We all appreciate your work and love this site!

Ability to like or dislike a point spread.

Future schedule on team page. Start adding opponents for the next year.

Win probability?

The like/dislike point spread isn't probably something worth spending time working on just because they only last from week to week.

I think the ability to add the next year's schedule is something I could make work with how I store that data in the database now. I'll look into it.

I not sure how win probability would work. I have something in mind so I'll play with that this off-season and see how it would have played out this year. If it's fairly accurate, we'll roll with it next year. Otherwise, I'll look into something else.

Back