Burkhart kid transfering

Champion1":2d0jflie said:
Any thoughts on Burkhart moving his kid to Sterling city? Eligibility"

talk is they moved in.. so if you move in and pops is signing the papf I would guess he will be set to go?

Looks like a rough year in Stanton. Hedging his bets? Turnarounds take time. Hamilton was a tough turnaround for Mike Reed. Stay tuned.

Old Bearkat":w2uz2sv4 said:
I do not think he'll be eligible to pay varsity until next year this time.

The rule you are referring to requires a transfer student to sit out of varsity sports for a calendar year in most cases. However, the story here is the Burkharts reside in sterling city's school district. As long as he did not move for athletic purposes he is only required to sit out for 14 days and can play varsity sports on the 15th day.

So jumping into drama with both feet, I should be to old for this. There are what 5 or 6 closer districts to Stanton to move your child to, if Stanton is not the right place for you? You just happen to choose the one ranked 5th in the state? However, Garden City is closer to Stanton and they are ranked 2. So maybe it was the education foundation at sterling city that offers scholarship to their graduates that prompted that choice? Which is an athletically legal reason to choose a school. Or is it something else entirely?

I would hate to be sterling city admin/coaches because it looks shady regardless of what the reality is.

How about the students at Stanton? Seems they are getting a short draw here. A place that is in need of a person of strong character to stick out some time in order to get some stability going.

Interesting. That is a pretty far commute from Sterling City to Stanton. I did not know about SC's foundation. Is it funded with tax money, private money, or both?

What day does that make him eligible to play? How much better does Burkhart make SC? Should be a battle last game of the year. Circle your calendar. Sterling City vs Water Valley 11/9

Old Bearkat":29f7vfya said:
Interesting. That is a pretty far commute from Sterling City to Stanton. I did not know about SC's foundation. Is it funded with tax money, private money, or both?

I can only answer what is typical in this situation, the superintendent of Sterling City would be the authority on this. Foundations can never use tax money from what most people would consider the norm for taxes, that money has to go into the school account and can not be used for scholarship.

Most cases, and there are several, the previous law of 313 agreements allowed the entity/company paying the tax rebates to pay into a foundation instead of the district. That can be used for scholarship. This happened in some places (I think Texas City had one) for quite a few years, but somehow it only became an issue when small West Texas communities could take part in it and the law has been rewritten.

Of course a private donor could do the same thing if they donated to an education foundation associated with a community instead of giving it to a specific college/university.

Old76er":1zvk3bl6 said:
What day does that make him eligible to play? How much better does Burkhart make SC? Should be a battle last game of the year. Circle your calendar. Sterling City vs Water Valley 11/9

I think you are thinking of the Sterling City vs. Garden City match-up, Old76er. The Eagles manhandled my Wildcats pretty good last Friday night. I'd really rather not do that again on November 9. :)

WV Backer":2lh0vw4h said:
Old76er":2lh0vw4h said:

I think you are thinking of the Sterling City vs. Garden City match-up, Old76er. The Eagles manhandled my Wildcats pretty good last Friday night. I'd really rather not do that again on November 9. :)

yes sir you are correct thats what I meant
my apologies

WV Backer":39vyf3kv said:
Old76er":39vyf3kv said:

What about Highland vs. Sterling City? Highland with the upset in two weeks?

Old76er":3tymn5z9 said:

Actually, it's Garden City vs Sterling City on Nov. 9th....

Texlonghorn75":2pxfg27h said:
That is a tough situation for Burkhart and son.

The situation could have been handled very differently had it been some roughneck family’s son being threatened.The father could have made a visit to the kid and his family and had a “heart to heart” discussion, and more than likely, the kid making the threats on the Burkhart kid’s life would have been the one to leave town. Or a visit by a couple of big brothers could have accomplished the same outcome.

But, since the Burkharts are a higher profiled family there, I’m sure they didn’t want to handle it that way. Not that they couldn’t have, but I imagine they wanted to stay on the side of the law. They wound up being the ones who had to leave. I’m sure the risk of staying was just too high.

Back