6 man History

Forsan... I believe this to be the 1940 roundballers. (Dad is front and center). I believe my uncle was on the '38 and '39 6 man and my dad the '40 and '42 team. 43 he was off making the world safe for democracy. Have a couple of pictures somewhere of those leather helmets just can't seem to find em.

Attachments

• Forsan.jpg
    Forsan.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 1,684
Man,
I love those old uni's!

At my school
I suggested re-instating a throw-back
from days gone by
and was almost hung.
Was told they'd rather wear a
"Pink out" style all year.

Hmmm...

The Barstow football field now

BarstowHighScoreboard302JamesFeagin.jpg

The old Mozelle school before it was demolished.

MozelleSchoolFrontTexas607MJohnson1007.jpg

An alumni remembers a Mozelle football game

As one of your contributors noted, Mozelle was never really a town although it did have a store at one point. It was primarily a school, all 12 grades. There is a history that was published in the Eighties, I believe.

My father, Sherwood Downey, graduated from the high school in the Forties, and my two brothers and I did as well in the Seventies. My father also was the vocational agricultural teacher there from 1968 until his retirement in 1983 (I think).

We lived in a house on the school grounds; I walked to school every day, but it was only a few hundred feet: no snow uphill, ever. The photo of the gym on your website brought back memories especially: I worked one summer for the school when I was 17, and one of our jobs was to spraypaint the ceiling of the gym. We had this tall scaffolding and a huge spray rig, and you'd climb up to the top in goggles and a mask and spray for as long as you could stand the heat, about 15 minutes at 115 degrees. What a tough way to make $1.25 a hour.

Mozelle played six-man football, and we had some decent teams. My all-time favorite football memory was when we won district my senior year in 1972. We played O'Brien in bi-district, and we were trailing at half-time. We did an onside kick, recovered it and scored and proceeded to do it again and again. We ended up winning something like 92-56. We would have broken 100 since I intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown in the 4th quarter, but there was a penalty. Funny what you remember decades later. I also was the extra-point kicker. There weren't many decent kickers in six-man, so extra points counted two points. I kicked nine that night; I was a soccer-style kicker despite the fact I didn't play soccer, and neither did anyone else then.

Funny that I ended up writing about sports, but that's the main advantage of a small school - you can play everything. I played football, basketball and golf, in addition to running track.

Jaime Reyes, who commented in 2003, was two years ahead of me in graduating from Mozelle. I haven't thought of him in forty years. I didn't know that about the WPA, but I did remember about the name.

Judging from the photos on the website, memories are about all that will be left of the school pretty soon. Thanks for saving what you can. - Mike L. Downey, December 17, 2011

From Texas Escapes

Back