6 man History

They're 6 man now, but in 1941 Paducah was an 11 man bi-district Champ

Attachments

• 1941 paDUCAH SCORES.jpg
    1941 paDUCAH SCORES.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 5,541
An article on the Price Memorial College 6 man team in 1941. Price Memorial is now Amarillo Holy Cross I believe. The article is from the 11/7/1941 Amarillo Daily News.

Attachments

• Price Memorial 1941 6 man.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 5,537
Another old 6 man school now closed

Medicine Mound. It merged with Quanah in the mid 1950's.

MedicineMoundTXRuin1212ClayIsbell32.jpg

Old Bearkat":259vq85o said:
The remains of the old Bula school

BulaSchoolTexas1205STaylor52.jpg

I have uncles and cousins who played Bula in football in the 1960's. The school closed in 1975. I think they merged with Littlefield.

westexasflats":1wxi77zn said:
Just a guess but probably Kyle, Buda, Leander, Bertram, Pflugerville, Hutto were all 6 Man once

I believe you're right ... Kyle, Buda, Pflugerville all played sixman (some of those others may have); a friend I know used to play for Dowdy School (now in Seguin ISD) in the early 50s and he mentioned all those plus places like Prairie Lea and Harper were in their district. He especially liked the trips to Harper, since the cheerleaders rode on the bus with them to the games and it was a long, long trip home.

lifegatesports":3c27x4ua said:
westexasflats":3c27x4ua said:
Just a guess but probably Kyle, Buda, Leander, Bertram, Pflugerville, Hutto were all 6 Man once

I believe you're right ... Kyle, Buda, Pflugerville all played sixman (some of those others may have); a friend I know used to play for Dowdy School (now in Seguin ISD) in the early 50s and he mentioned all those plus places like Prairie Lea and Harper were in their district. He especially liked the trips to Harper, since the cheerleaders rode on the bus with them to the games and it was a long, long trip home.

I don't think Leander and Bertram were ever 6 or even 8 man. The rest all played 6 and/or 8 man for a while in the 50's.

Back