6 man History

Another article on the 6 man district formed in Collin County from the August 14, 1938 edition of the San Antonio Express. Note the closed schools of Chamberlin, Josephine, and Murphy. Is there anyone who lives in that area that knows any scores from 1938?

Attachments

Tid Bits I found at the Temple Library today. Forgive me when I went to print up my articles I lost the dates, because I was unfamiliar with their system. I’ll be going back through these next Saturday.

August 1st 1938, (Temple) - "Six-Man Football take place on 1938 Interscholastic League program"
September 11th 1938, (Temple) - Briggs, San Gabriel, Schwertner and Buckholts are mentioned as interested in Six-Man League.
September 13th 1938, (Temple) - A meeting was held at the Temple Daily Telegram office September 12th to form the League, San Gabriel, Buckholts, Ad Hall were represented. Sharp was included because they had issued a previous challenge to San Gabriel. A tentative schedule was made and scheduled to begin October 14th. The tentative schedule: Oct 14th Sharp vs. San Gabriel, Ad Hall vs. Buckholts. October 28 Sharp vs. Ad Hall, Buckholts vs. San Gabriel. Nov 10 Sharp vs. Buckholts, Ad Hall vs. San Gabriel.

Apparently Sharp opted to play 11 man that season and may only play 1 six-man game, and Buckholts may have not been able to establish enough equipment to play. Seaton was included after the tentative schedule and there was no other mention Briggs and Schwartner. I could only find 2 confirmed games and 1 that was scheduled but couldn’t find where they actually played.

7 October 1938 (Temple) San Gabriel vs. Seaton, San Gabriel won 31-0 at San Gabriel
12 October 1938 (Temple by way of Cameron) Ad Hall vs. San Gabriel. No confirmation this took place
22 Oct 1938 (Temple) Seaton vs. San Gabriel, San Gabriel won 7-0 at Seaton.

Also, in the spring of 1938, Temple Junior college had a petition going to bring football to the school. In 1939 TJC creates a six-man team and plays San Gabriel. TJC wins the bout 56-8. The first half of the game TJC beat San Gabriel 31-0. The second half San Gabriel gave up their uniforms in which kids from Temple High school dressed and played the Second Half. San Gabriel may have had 2 six-man teams that year San Gabriel and San Gabriel NYA.

I don't know if I was tired or what but in 1939 there was not a whole lot of six-man mentioned.

A freaky tidbit - (Temple Oct 1939) Buckholts was scheduled to play Temple Reserves which was Temples High Schools B-team. That would be 11 Man, but there was no mention to 11 man or six-man directly in the article. I will post the articles once I have them scanned tonight.

Back