6 man History

So would that make San Gabriel, Ad Hall and Seaton ghost schools? Seatons mascot wat the Outsiders, wth that is.

It appears that San Gabriel had two school, San Gabriel HS and San Gabriel NYA. Im not sure what the NYA stood for?

They may have been "town"teams or club teams...I know some towns had Knights of Pythias that would field a football team and play others and even High School teams. The "Outsiders" that sounds like a town/club team to me

Ill have to wait until I go back before I can get the dates of the papers. They were lost because it was the first time I used their system.

My money is...Ad Hall and Sharp were HS team and the other 2 were club teams of some kind...I could be wrong about Seaton but that mascot is kind of like the ones I have see for town or club teams during that era...I think Merkel had one in the mid 30s...maybe Rising Star as well...

There were a few colleges that played six-man on some level...I have seen a few and have photos of some (all over the country)...I am not well versed enough on how they were made up or the purpose for them fielding a six-man team...the ones that did had both a six-man and an 11-man team in almost all cases...OBK might be able to shed light on it more...

In WWII six-man football was used as a rec. sport by the military...maybe in some camps and bases up into the 50s...once on ebay there was a team photo of one of the league champions from a WWII base...I didn't win the bid...

Here is a sample...

1983 - Week 3:

Benjamin 54 Guthrie 18
Blackwell 38 Woodson 30
Blum 33 Cranfills Gap 24
Borden Co. 32 Lueders-Avoca 14
Buckholts 42 Venus 7
Carbon 58 Talpa-C. 20
Cherokee 78 Abbott 46
Covington 49 Walnut Springs 47
Dawson 66 Christoval 20
Gordon 63 Mullin 16
Harrold 36 Goree 26
Highland 66 McCaulley 20
Higgins 49 Miami 0
Ira 28 Grady 0
Iredell 44 Bynum 22
Loop 42 EP Jesus Chapel 39
May 56 Harper 7
Morgan 29 Jonesboro 22
Mozelle 48 Novice 6
Northside 50 Weinert 26
Paint Rock 59 Brookesmith 20
Richland Springs 58 Star 19
Sidney 40 Gustine 32
Southland 77 Midland Christian 32
Strawn 39 May JV 25
Texline 44 Yarborough, NM 33
Three Way 34 Silverton 8
Trent 64 Hermleigh 14
Whitharral 55 Marathon 34
Rochester 32 Patton Springs 30

CT6MFL: these sources may help you if you wanted to find out about those schools

Lelia M. Batte, History of Milam County, Texas (San Antonio: Naylor, 1956). Milam County Heritage Preservation Society, Matchless Milam: History of Milam County (Dallas: Taylor, 1984).

Sweet, thanks for the info.

Speaking of box scores, Temples paper had a big list going in 1938 and on. If anyone needes them let me know.

From what I gathers TJC played the game against San Gabriel as a road show to help fund a regular football program. I never even knew they ever had a football program till yesterday.

oneday":2bxx1as8 said:
OBK...I think I have every Texas Six-Man HS score from 1983-85 seasons! Or at least 85% of them all! Thought you'd be excited about that!

173700.jpg

Did you post 'em yet?

Back