History of 6-Man Football

COTTON-7

11-man fan
For any of you folks that are interested in 6-Man Football History --go on "Facebook" and type-----Six-man football --in the search block. The first 6-man football game played in Texas was on Sept. 29, 1936 between Sylvester High School and Dowell High School (country school about 3 miles east of Rotan) at the high school field in Rotan.
Melvin Clements ( in his 90's) still lives in Rotan and played QB for Dowell HS in that first game. He is the only known living survivor of that game. In the process of organizing a recognition for Mr. Clements at one of our Rotan home games this season. Student from McMurry University published a research paper a couple of years ago that resulted in Mr. Clements being recognized at --- I believe a Trent game and a Borden County game.

COTTON-7":2ywijcbe said:
For any of you folks that are interested in 6-Man Football History --go on "Facebook" and type-----Six-man football --in the search block. The first 6-man football game played in Texas was on Sept. 29, 1936 between Sylvester High School and Dowell High School (country school about 3 miles east of Rotan) at the high school field in Rotan.
Melvin Clements ( in his 90's) still lives in Rotan and played QB for Dowell HS in that first game. He is the only known living survivor of that game. In the process of organizing a recognition for Mr. Clements at one of our Rotan home games this season. Student from McMurry University published a research paper a couple of years ago that resulted in Mr. Clements being recognized at --- I believe a Trent game and a Borden County game.
Great Info Cotton very nice!

If I remember right, it was the Richland Springs vs BC Rumble in the Jungle at Trent 3 years ago. I'm glad to hear the Yellowhammers are going to honor the gentleman at their first six man game. That goes a long way in showing they "get the deal" about our favorite sport.

COTTON-7":2wu46v9k said:
Melvin Clements ( in his 90's) still lives in Rotan and played QB for Dowell HS in that first game. He is the only known living survivor of that game. In the process of organizing a recognition for Mr. Clements at one of our Rotan home games this season.
That's first class, Cotton.
First class.

Not only will we be recognizing Mr. Melvin Clements in Rotan -----he will be in fact representing both teams (players and coaches) for their pioneering historic effort. Even though all the other players and coaches are now deceased ----maybe their family members can feel that same historic connection through this recognition.

Just out of curiousity, does anyone know the winningness program of all time? I know very recently idk if anyone's been able to match Richland Spring's success (at least not in D2) but sixman goes way back...

Thanks Bearcat. So we are saying that Jayton is historically the winningest team in sixman.. I wonder how far behind Richland Springs and some of the more recent successful teams are?

I was noticing with more than a little interest about the winningest 6 man football teams and to reference the lone star football website for the getting the yearly football records of each respective school. According to whatever source gave Lone Star their information, there a some errors in the yearly won loss records for the Strawn Greyhounds. I went to school in Strawn from 1965 through 1970 and the won-loss record for 1967 was 8 wins and 2 losses not the zero wins and 2 losses listed on the Lone Star website. I have not had the time to research any of the other years where the number of games played versus the typical won loss record( approximately 10 games per year ) appears to have some errors. At any rate Strawn seems to taken a hit on the all time wins list and all the glory that entails. It appears Jayton, Richland Springs, Gordon and a few other schools might have a better winning percentage over the last 50 years but Strawn appears to have beaten Jayton, Richland Springs and Gordon more often than they have beaten Strawn in head to head matches. Richlands Springs has especially been the victim of Strawn's last two state championship teams. Of course Strawn lost to Gordon both years they won state so it goes without saying that a strong Gordon team helps Strawn to be better in the playoffs.

Back