6 man football info for old ball coach!

ks6man

11-man fan
Hello coaches,
I am head coach at an eight man school in Kansas (don't hold that against me lol). We have decided to take the plug into 6 man football, because of enrollement dropping so much. We have been a successful program for many years in eight man, going 8-2 last year with only 12 players. I've coach eight man football for 30 years.
Let me get to the point, I've dove into researching the 6 man game after this season and I'm deciding on what direction we are going to go both offensively and defensively! I feel like I'm starting all over again, which is both scary and exciting to me! I'm looking for any help and contacts that I can get.
Our team will have about 12-15 players next year and will be extremely young (1 Sr, 1 Jr, 5 So, 5 Fr). The good thing is we should be quick, fast, and athletic. We don't have a lot of size, so we will be spreading people out and we are used to that. Our currrent offense is a shotgun spread that uses a lot of motion. I like the looks of the option game in six man, I think. Our Qb will be young so we will be working on our passing game a lot here in the off season. We are use to throwing the ball (throw more then most teams up here). Anyway, I'm looking for as much help and info I can find and thought this looked like a great place for that!
Thanks in advance guys!

Great place to start is this thread:

ks6man, I would say the best place to start would be to contact Jerry Burkhart. Aside from being the best Sixman coach of all time, he sponsored the Heart of Texas Coaching Clinic for several years and has recordings of presentations by all of the top coaches in the state, from both public and private schools. You can get Vance Jones offenses, Mike Reed on both sides of the ball, Danny Medina, Mitch Lee, Doyle Clawson, Dwaine Lee, and numerous other top Coaches in the State.

ks6man, I would say the best place to start would be to contact Jerry Burkhart. Aside from being the best Sixman coach of all time, he sponsored the Heart of Texas Coaching Clinic for several years and has recordings of presentations by all of the top coaches in the state, from both public and private schools. You can get Vance Jones offenses, Mike Reed on both sides of the ball, Danny Medina, Mitch Lee, Doyle Clawson, Dwaine Lee, and numerous other top Coaches in the State.
Thanks that’s great. Where is the best place to find Coach Burkhart? And don’t guys have a six man clinic somewhere?

Back