History of 6-Man Football

Cowboy drew me out of the woodworks! Dogface...30 isnt that old is it? Though I do have a few grey hairs!

Cotton - when will yall be honoring Mr. Clements and those teams/schools? I may see if I can get away from the meathooks long enough to attend!

Also I would be happy to give information and share resources with who ever is putting the thing together.

The coach of the 1936 McCaulley team was still alive last time I checked...I interviewed him as well. In my paper I concluded that the Hobbs coach was the one whos idea it was to start up the six-man football league. Sylvester won the league going 6-0 (every school played each other twice)

texaslonghorn75":3ghwmmqu said:
I was noticing with more than a little interest about the winningest 6 man football teams and to reference the lone star football website for the getting the yearly football records of each respective school. According to whatever source gave Lone Star their information, there a some errors in the yearly won loss records for the Strawn Greyhounds. I went to school in Strawn from 1965 through 1970 and the won-loss record for 1967 was 8 wins and 2 losses not the zero wins and 2 losses listed on the Lone Star website. I have not had the time to research any of the other years where the number of games played versus the typical won loss record( approximately 10 games per year ) appears to have some errors. At any rate Strawn seems to taken a hit on the all time wins list and all the glory that entails. It appears Jayton, Richland Springs, Gordon and a few other schools might have a better winning percentage over the last 50 years but Strawn appears to have beaten Jayton, Richland Springs and Gordon more often than they have beaten Strawn in head to head matches. Richlands Springs has especially been the victim of Strawn's last two state championship teams. Of course Strawn lost to Gordon both years they won state so it goes without saying that a strong Gordon team helps Strawn to be better in the playoffs.

If you have some scores, send them on, or post them in a comment in one of the games for the years for which you have them. They will eagerly be entered in.

I will get with some my high school historians and review the old football schedules and records. Most of us were more worried about making money somehow, hauling hay, mowing yards, pumping gas at the local service station, etc than getting ready for football each summer back in the 1960's.

Regarding all-time winningest programs, how far back do you want to go? And are we just talking UIL? There are some newer private school programs (2-3 years) that probably have a winning percentage of over .600,

Yes, I finished pharmacy school in 1975. I spent three years at Tarleton before transferring to UT. Only in Austin from June 1973 to August 1975. Amazing what a motivator poverty and the Vietnam war was in those days.

Plans are to honor Mr. Melvin Clements in Rotan on Friday night ---September 7 th. Game starts at 7:30 but our plans are to have Mr. Clements toss the coin prior to kickoff. Hope the event goes as planned. Mr. Clements had a pacemaker for his heart installed about 2 weeks ago and put our plans on hold. But Melvin gave his OK today for Sept. 7 th. Plan on getting my golf cart shined up and ready to roll. We are Go for Sept. 7 th unless something unexpected arises. Will post if the situation changes.

oldfat&bald":5zf1br2o said:
Old Bearkat":5zf1br2o said:
BTW...did you graduate from UT in 1975?

I graduated there in 1979. BS

Why am I not surprised you have a degree in BS?
Actually,
come to think of it,
my degrees a BS too!
Although I'm sure that has nothing to do with it.

And no, thirty's not old.

Old Bearkat":21mdon6y said:
On Percentage

Jayton 431-228-12
Borden Co 375-202-14
Valley 266-148-5
Gordon 407-226-7
Highland 353-208-11

Panther Creek 200-83-0
Jayton 431-228-12
Borden Co 375-202-14
Valley 266-148-5
Gordon 407-226-7
Highland 353-208-11

Panther Creek has a 71% winning percentage.

oneday":3vok85qu said:
The coach of the 1936 McCaulley team was still alive last time I checked...I interviewed him as well.

Mr. Courtney is in fact still alive . . . my father (deceased) played for him on that McCauley team and I put you in touch with his daughter to set up the interview.

Thanks Long Ball...I am pretty sure you did that for me back in 2009! Yes both he and his daughter were very nice, he loved talkinng about his former players.

Leman

Back