Rumor Mill

You can't just transfer out for basketball season and be eligible
You would be surprised...22-23 school year a kid from the HS to the west of us left that HS during BB season and moved to a Wichita Falls school realized they would not be eligible for athletics in the school they wanted to attend in WF so transferred back to the school they started the school year and was still eligible to play that season...the kid did eventually leave the school they had been a transfer at for 5 years (7th through 11th grade) and attend the WF school they would be eligible for their senior year.

Because 6man football was its own classification until the UIL decided to call ot 1A. 1A is now 2A. 6man schools had to play "2A schools" until the uil decided to create 6A. So to make it easier, nowadays 1a & 2a were both considered 1a. Now 6man is considered 1A. The 11man 1A schools are now considered 2A. Forgot what year it happened but yeah, that's what happened.
1A schools that elected to play 11 man were classified as 2A schools for Football only but were 1A in all other sports ie Electra and Munday, so that is not why schools "gave up" on 11 man football. Nazareth held onto 11 man for the longest time but played 1A Basketball.

1A schools that elected to play 11 man were classified as 2A schools for Football only but were 1A in all other sports ie Electra and Munday, so that is not why schools "gave up" on 11 man football. Nazareth held onto 11 man for the longest time but played 1A Basketball.
Yes I am aware, and Naz most likely could have won a couple of championships if they would've made the switch to 6man sooner.

Most teams in that situation wait a few years too many and only embrace sixman when the well has all but run dry. Throckmorton and Calvert stand out as exceptions who got the timing right.
You're right, but don't forget about Jayton! They were ready when they started 6man. Didn't they play independent/outlaw prior to starting? That was back.in the 80s so I really can't say since I was born in 86. I only remember mid 90s to present.

You're right, but don't forget about Jayton! They were ready when they started 6man. Didn't they play independent/outlaw prior to starting? That was back.in the 80s so I really can't say since I was born in 86. I only remember mid 90s to present.
I'd never heard of sixman football in 86, though I was born in 56. I too only remember mid-late 90's to present. Though I've heard and read several stories of earlier times. My brother-in-law played in the late 70's. I played 11 man.

I'd never heard of sixman football in 86, though I was born in 56. I too only remember mid-late 90's to present. Though I've heard and read several stories of earlier times. My brother-in-law played in the late 70's. I played 11 man.
Gordon Shorthorn 1967-1968, Gordon Longhorn 1969 - 1972.
Been a lot of changes to the game in that time.
Back then only District winner got to advance to playoffs. 1969 - 1971 Regional was the last playoff game for B classified (6man) schools. 1972 all 10 games were District games.

Most teams in that situation wait a few years too many and only embrace sixman when the well has all but run dry. Throckmorton and Calvert stand out as exceptions who got the timing right.
I would argue Throckmorton waited too long as well...had they made the move sooner they would have won state in 2004 instead of losing a razor thin game to Richland Springs in the semi-finals...and maybe one in 2006 as well. Im sure Throck folks would back me on this (but probably not RS folks)

The best time to make the move is 2 years before you are eligible with going full 6man in JRHS, scheduling JV 6man games if possible and scheduling a few non-district 6man games if not going full outlaw.

Jayton is the best example I know of that kind of did this. They knew it was coming and moved the jrhs to 6man before HS and pushed to host 6man playoff games in the 1980s to get the community use to seeing the game. But Jayton also had a history prior in 6man as well.

I would argue Throckmorton waited too long as well...had they made the move sooner they would have won state in 2004 instead of losing a razor thin game to Richland Springs in the semi-finals...and maybe one in 2006 as well. Im sure Throck folks would back me on this (but probably not RS folks)

The best time to make the move is 2 years before you are eligible with going full 6man in JRHS, scheduling JV 6man games if possible and scheduling a few non-district 6man games if not going full outlaw.

Jayton is the best example I know of that kind of did this. They knew it was coming and moved the jrhs to 6man before HS and pushed to host 6man playoff games in the 1980s to get the community use to seeing the game. But Jayton also had a history prior in 6man as well.

They also played some JV 6man games before going 6man in 1984. Jayton played 6man from the 1944 to 1957 seasons. From 1958 to 1963 they played 8man. Unlike a lot of schools that become 6man, Jayton had a successful 1983 season, finishing runner-up in district to the eventual state champion, Knox City. They also hired a coach in 1981-1982 that had experience with 6man.

Last edited:
15 days away.
Will GR be a Richland Springs
Coyote are a Strawn Greyhound?
Which 1A D2 school has the best chance at winning State this season?

15 days away.
Will GR be a Richland Springs
Coyote are a Strawn Greyhound?
Which 1A D2 school has the best chance at winning State this season?
Could be one or none of those schools, who knows? We will know soon. lol and the answer of the first question is probably the answer to the second question

I will agree on this . I could see them stomping through town just to make everyone think he is going there . 😂 sounds believable. If he does play I bet he transfers out to a state contender basketball school after football season . That’s just my prediction which is prolly wrong
Hornet , you don’t know the rules , and you clearly don’t know ball …..smh

Back