Possible Realignment

I'll say this any time someone brings numbers like this up. Six man really needs a division 3. People argue it would cheapen the state championship or it would make travel more difficult, but people argued that before the d1 d2 split. There's a huge difference in schools with 61 vs schools in the 30s. Same vs schools with 62 vs schools with 100.
Hey Coach Bear, what would the cut off numbers be for 3 Divisions? Would you support having 2 Divisions of 6 man, a Division for the bigger schools with numbers above 80 play 8 man ball? Maybe this way Hamlin, Munday, Crosbyton, and other schools that refuse to come down could maybe put a decent showing on the field while still playing 11 man rules.

REGION 1 D2REGION 2 D2REGION 3 D2REGION 4 D2
DARROUZETTASPERMONTBYNUMBLACKWELL
FOLLETTGUTHRIEFANNIDELBRONTE
GROOMJAYTONMT. CALMLORAINE
MIAMIMOTLEY COUNTYOAKWOODOLFEN
LEFORSPATTON SPRINGTRINIDADTRENT
ANTONBENJAMINCRANFILLS GAPMORAN
AMHERSTCROWELLIREDELLPANTHER CREEK
COTTON CENTERHEDLEYKOPPERLRISING STAR
LAZBUDDIEMCLEANMORGANSTRAWN
WHITHARRALPADUCAH1115
37BUCKHOLTSBLANKET
BALMORHEAPAINT CREEKCALVERTMULLIN
FORT DAVISLUEDERS AVOCAOGLESBYPRIDDY
GRANDFALLSRULEPAWNEESIDNEY
SANDERSONTHROCKMORTON12ZEPHYR
SIERRA BLANCAWOODSONBLUFF DALE16
48EVANTBROOKESMITH
DAWSONCHILLICOTHEGUSTINECHEROKEE
KLONDIKEFORESTBURGTHREE WAYLOHN
LOOPGOLD-BURGRICHLAND SPRINGS
SANDSHARROLDROCHELLE
SOUTHLAND
WILSON

Just my opinion.., D1 to come.

Basing this on geography and prior district alignment.
Why would you put McLean in that district? Mclean is 30 miles east of Groom 20 miles south Lefors. 30 miles north of Hedley. Groom, McLean, Hedley should be in the same district IMO.

Why would you put McLean in that district? Mclean is 30 miles east of Groom 20 miles south Lefors. 30 miles north of Hedley. Groom, McLean, Hedley should be in the same district IMO.
Should be, but I couldn’t balance the districts and you are the farthest east along with Hedley.

I know the significance, I spent some years up in the panhandle but it just doesn’t fit that way, and can’t think like a fan or coach when doing these, have to think like the blind UIL monkey.

Here’s my edit after some more thought,

D2 R2 D5
Hedley
McLean
Motley
Paducah
Patton

D2 R2 D6
Aspermont
Benjamin
Crowell
Guthrie
Jayton

This works better for travel but I will say in my observation UIL doesn’t like to disband existing districts for 20 min difference, so I could easily see the other one working out just the same.

Also, it’s still not a whole lot better for McLean but they have played in a very similar district before with motley, Patton, and hedley

Hey Coach Bear, what would the cut off numbers be for 3 Divisions? Would you support having 2 Divisions of 6 man, a Division for the bigger schools with numbers above 80 play 8 man ball? Maybe this way Hamlin, Munday, Crosbyton, and other schools that refuse to come down could maybe put a decent showing on the field while still playing 11 man rules.
I think 8 man probably wouldn't be a good idea, It's just really not that popular. I don't think adding two more players is that much different. I think it's kind of a cool gimmicky game to play every now and then when a small 11 man school needs a game and a six-man school is willing to do it.

But to answer your question really all you would need to do is take all the numbers divided by 3 and split them that way. Essentially what they do with the split now. I can't remember what I looked up but I think it was 45, 75, 105

D2 R2 D5
Hedley
McLean
Motley
Paducah
Patton

D2 R2 D6
Aspermont
Benjamin
Crowell
Guthrie
Jayton

This works better for travel but I will say in my observation UIL doesn’t like to disband existing districts for 20 min difference, so I could easily see the other one working out just the same.

Also, it’s still not a whole lot better for McLean but they have played in a very similar district before with motley, Patton, and hedley

I think 8 man probably wouldn't be a good idea, It's just really not that popular. I don't think adding two more players is that much different. I think it's kind of a cool gimmicky game to play every now and then when a small 11 man school needs a game and a six-man school is willing to do it.

But to answer your question really all you would need to do is take all the numbers divided by 3 and split them that way. Essentially what they do with the split now. I can't remember what I looked up but I think it was 45, 75, 105
How many teams will there be in Div. 3 if done this way?

How many teams will there be in Div. 3 if done There is no way with 16 districts to have 3 divisions
WHITEFACE
108​
SILVERTON
72​
RISING STAR
51​
LEAKEY
104​
WILDORADO
72​
RUNGE
50​
PERRIN-WHITT
103​
PRAIRIE LEA
71​
LEFORS
50​
SPRINGLAKE EARTh
101​
EDEN
71​
MOTLEY COUNTY
50​
SAINT JO
100.5​
SANTA ANNA
70​
PANTHER CREEK
50​
AVALON
100​
NORTHSIDE
69​
WHITHARRAL
50​
AQUILLA
98​
BRYSON
68​
GOLD-BURG
49​
GARDEN CITY
98​
IRA
68​
STRAWN
49​
BLUM
96​
KNOX CITY
68​
IREDELL
48​
MAY
96​
MEADOW
68​
CHEROKEE
46​
O'DONNELL
96​
HIGH ISLAND
67​
KOPPERL
46​
UNION HILL
96​
LEVERETTS CHAPEL
67​
SIDNEY
46​
BOOKER
94​
VALLEY
67​
THROCKMORTON
46​
JONESBORO
94​
PENELOPE
66​
BENJAMIN
45​
WATER VALLEY
93​
HART
66​
MORGAN
45​
BOYS RANCH
93​
ROTAN
66​
TRINIDAD
45​
BUENA VISTA
93​
APPLE SPRINGS
65​
CROWELL
44​
LOMETA
93​
HIGHLAND
65​
HARROLD
44​
BAIRD
92​
WELLMAN-UNION
65​
LORAINE
44​
MENARD
92​
MARFA
62​
PRIDDY
43​
HAPPY
91​
PAINT ROCK
62​
CALVERT
43​
WESTBROOK
91​
SPUR
62​
THREE WAY SCHOOL
43​
CLAUDE
88​
WALNUT SPRINGS
62​
OLFEN
43​
GORMAN
88​
ZEPHYR
61​
TRENT
41​
PETERSBURG
88​
FORT DAVIS
61​
BLANKET
39​
COVINGTON
87​
ASPERMONT
60​
RULE
39​
IRION COUNTY
87​
MCLEAN
60​
LAZBUDDIE
38​
GHOLSON
86​
MIAMI
60​
LADONIA FANNINDEL
36​
MILFORD
86​
WOODSON
60​
LOOP
36​
VERIBEST
85​
KLONDIKE
59​
MORAN
36​
KRESS
84​
CHILLICOTHE
59​
GRANDFALLS-ROYALTY
35​
NUECES CANYON
82​
BALMORHEA
58​
MOUNT CALM
35​
ROBY
82​
SANDS
58​
WILSON
34​
BORDEN COUNTY
81​
BRONTE
57​
SIERRA BLANCA
34​
ROBERT LEE
80​
BYNUM
57​
SANDERSON
33​
COOLIDGE
79​
FORESTBURG
57​
GUSTINE
33​
LINGLEVILLE
79​
OGLESBY
57​
DAWSON
32​
KNIPPA
78​
RICHLAND SPRINGS
57​
AMHERST
30​
BURKEVILLE
78​
EVANT
56​
MULLIN
30​
RANGER
78​
BLACKWELL
55​
COTTON CENTER
29​
RANKIN
78​
BLUFF DALE
55​
LOHN
29​
HERMLEIGH
77​
BROOKESMITH
55​
LUEDERS AVOCA
27​
NEWCASTLE
77​
OAKWOOD
55​
SOUTHLAND
27​
WHITE DEER
77​
BUCKHOLTS
54​
PATTON SPRING
26​
ABBOTT
76​
PADUCAH
53​
PAINT CREEK
26​
CAMPBELL
76​
FOLLETT
53​
GUTHRIE
25​
GORDON
75​
JAYTON
53​
DARROUZETT
25​
GRADY
74​
ANTON
52​
PAWNEE
25​
NAZARETH
74​
ROCHELLE
52​
HEDLEY
23​
BENAVIDES
73​
CRANFILLS GAP
52​
49 schools
CHESTER
73​
GROOM
52​
LORENZO
73​
51 schools
MEDINA
73​
SAVOY
73​
54 Schools
this way?

Last edited:

D2 R2 D5
Hedley
McLean
Motley
Paducah
Patton

D2 R2 D6
Aspermont
Benjamin
Crowell
Guthrie
Jayton

Makes sense.
My thinking is if they start at Follett , Darrouzett, Miami, Lefors, McLean. If 5 team districts. If 4 team districts McLean, Groom, Hedley, and pull one up . Paducah, or Motley. Just a thought. Really who knows what they decide. But it's kind of a fun discussion. Have a Happy New Year!

I’m thinking, to satisfy everyone who wants all of this equity and equality and even-steven stuff, just make 32 divisions of Sixman. Then, the team who would have formerly have been their district champion, would now be the Sixman Division 27 State Champion!
More than 2 divisions of Sixman is ridiculous! Actually, more than 1 is.

I’m thinking, to satisfy everyone who wants all of this equity and equality and even-steven stuff, just make 32 divisions of Sixman. Then, the team who would have formerly have been their district champion, would now be the Sixman Division 27 State Champion!
More than 2 divisions of Sixman is ridiculous! Actually, more than 1 is.
🙄 Yeah okay... Well 2 divisions is absolutely necessary. The most players I've ever had was 17. That was every boy in HS playing. The lowest I've ever had was 6. We've never turned in more than 36 kids. Some schools have over 40 boys playing football. How can I or anyone at my level compete with that?

As I said previously I know 3 divisions sounds like it would water down state championships, but I personally believe 6 man is unique in this situation just because numbers are so crucial.

Just a thought I had. I know TAPPS coaches have had a lot of positive things to say about their 3 divisions.

Good dialogue is fun.

I was really kind of messing with you about 32 divisions. My actual opinion is that the very top for Sixman should be 80-85 in high school. With an average of 20 kids per class, a decent 11 man team should be had. When you get up to that 90-105 number, they are more likely to have a couple of studs. A good team will seldom beat the studs.

Back