Possible Realignment

What is the reasoning for opting up for most of these schools? Travel? Unwilling to give up "traditional" 11 man football?
As I have roamed the fields over the years, I have had discussions with board members, coaches, and community members about possibly going six-man and the most common response was "We would stop playing football before we would play six-man." I asked them why the response and they would reply "Six-man football ISN'T football." I would reply "yeah its not 11 man, but are you tired of your kids getting the crap kicked out of them every week and not being able to establish a positive culture where the kids could possibly experience success on a friday night? Six-man provides an opportunity to have success on the field even when you may not have the kids or talent for 11 man. With a head shaking and a few moments of silence, they would generally agree with me and say "The community wouldn't go for it." I would reply "Go ask communities with schools like Crowell, Throckmorton, Paducah, Rankin, Garden City, May and other former 11 man schools that have experienced good success since dropping down. Remember, you can always go back up if you want, but don't knock six-man until you experience six-man."

As I roam the fields, I would like all schools, athletes, and communities to experience success on Friday nights as it brings everybody together. Football is football at any level but may have a few different rules.

We shouldn't be encouraging Munday to play six man football. They take their football seriously and could dominate sixman football for several years. Goree, a two time state champion in eight man football, consolidated with Munday in 2003 and Munday won state back in 2007 and 2012

Munday Mogul Football record since 2018: 7-49 in 6 seasons (3 seasons of 0-10 in 18, 21,23). It would serve them best to play sixman. 2018 was when the school turned in numbers to be Six-man Eligible.

As I have roamed the fields over the years, I have had discussions with board members, coaches, and community members about possibly going six-man and the most common response was "We would stop playing football before we would play six-man." I asked them why the response and they would reply "Six-man football ISN'T football." I would reply "yeah its not 11 man, but are you tired of your kids getting the crap kicked out of them every week and not being able to establish a positive culture where the kids could possibly experience success on a friday night? Six-man provides an opportunity to have success on the field even when you may not have the kids or talent for 11 man. With a head shaking and a few moments of silence, they would generally agree with me and say "The community wouldn't go for it." I would reply "Go ask communities with schools like Crowell, Throckmorton, Paducah, Rankin, Garden City, May and other former 11 man schools that have experienced good success since dropping down. Remember, you can always go back up if you want, but don't knock six-man until you experience six-man."

As I roam the fields, I would like all schools, athletes, and communities to experience success on Friday nights as it brings everybody together. Football is football at any level but may have a few different rules.
BTW.... Garden City, Rankin, and Sterling City all played 6 man in the 1950's. Rankin until 1952, GC and SC until 1957

Well my argument here is 11 man divisions take 4. Would this really be any different?
Your argument runs into number problems two different ways, if 4 teams per district advance to the playoffs, every team in the district is probably advancing. How many teams per district do you propose when there would only be about 36 teams to divide and produce another watered down playoff scheme? The most obvious number challenge is the lack of participation in those smaller schools, how many teams are able to finished their slate of district games to qualify for the playoffs.

Your argument runs into number problems two different ways, if 4 teams per district advance to the playoffs, every team in the district is probably advancing. How many teams per district do you propose when there would only be about 36 teams to divide and produce another watered down playoff scheme? The most obvious number challenge is the lack of participation in those smaller schools, how many teams are able to finished their slate of district games to qualify for the playoffs.
I'm not arguing for 4 teams. I'm arguing for a 3rd division it's not a inconceivable as you think. I'm not sure on the exact number but I would say it couldn't have been more than 10 teams not finishing this year

It always boggles my mind that people involved in the running of a school district can be that stupid, you don’t cut a sports program unless there is no money, no interest from the students or community, or just not enough kids to make it work, otherwise that is just plain stupidity and it really shows how little they really care about their students or the health of their school district as such a decision would be catastrophic

Munday Mogul Football record since 2018: 7-49 in 6 seasons (3 seasons of 0-10 in 18, 21,23). It would serve them best to play sixman. 2018 was when the school turned in numbers to be Six-man Munday has

Munday Mogul Football record since 2018: 7-49 in 6 seasons (3 seasons of 0-10 in 18, 21,23). It would serve them best to play sixman. 2018 was when the school turned in numbers to be Six-man Eligible.
Munday has large jh and elementary numbers coming up next alignment the will be back above the cutoff for awhile, they have stayed up because they would have to go back up anyway.

Munday has large jh and elementary numbers coming up next alignment the will be back above the cutoff for awhile, they have stayed up because they would have to go back up anyway.
I reached out to a friend living in the Munday area and he told me the same thing. It's a shame that is the reason to keep the kids in grades above them from possibly having a better chance to succeed on the field on friday nights.

I'm not arguing for 4 teams. I'm arguing for a 3rd division it's not a inconceivable as you think. I'm not sure on the exact number but I would say it couldn't have been more than 10 teams not finishing this year
3 divisions in 6Manfootball??? No thank you. I'd rather have 1 division back. Playoffs actually are "hard".
You have what you have and you got what you got. I'd like to see one example with the largest school enrollment-wise in 6man winning a state championship. I'll wait...

3 divisions in 6Manfootball??? No thank you. I'd rather have 1 division back. Playoffs actually are "hard".
You have what you have and you got what you got. I'd like to see one example with the largest school enrollment-wise in 6man winning a state championship. I'll wait...
Easy there fella. Coach Bear was just spit balling. I like the idea of 1 division with 4 teams making the playoffs just like 11 man.

The split is a good thing!! It is not impossible but extremely rare for a school to compete with another school that has 2x or 3x the enrollment numbers. I actually believe the 6man cutoff could be dropped down to 85-90
The idea that the larger sixman schools have more football players or participation is flawed at best. Some years all those boys seem united in purpose and everyone wants to play, kind of like what Westbrook has experience since they won state a couple of times. But, some of those bigger schools have boys who don't want to play football and the boys that do want to play aren't as committed. It's an apple or orange situation. Sometimes the boys are all in but sometimes they aren't. Once a team isn't on the edge of winning most of its games the interest in playing drops. Rodeo participation has always been another option in a lot of schools.

The idea that the larger sixman schools have more football players or participation is flawed at best. Some years all those boys seem united in purpose and everyone wants to play, kind of like what Westbrook has experience since they won state a couple of times. But, some of those bigger schools have boys who don't want to play football and the boys that do want to play aren't as committed. It's an apple or orange situation. Sometimes the boys are all in but sometimes they aren't. Once a team isn't on the edge of winning most of its games the interest in playing drops. Rodeo participation has always been another option in a lot of schools.
So you are saying numbers dont make a difference? Seems like Comanche should match up well against Stephenville using your theory?

So you are saying numbers dont make a difference? Seems like Comanche should match up well against Stephenville using your theory?
Some years Comanche could match up well with Stephenville. I remember years when Stephenville couldn't beat its way out of a wet paper sack. But the topic is about six man football schools and player participation. Look at the schools with the highest sixman enrollments and see if they played for state the last few years.

Some years Comanche could match up well with Stephenville. I remember years when Stephenville couldn't beat its way out of a wet paper sack. But the topic is about six man football schools and player participation. Look at the schools with the highest sixman enrollments and see if they played for state the last few y

Some years Comanche could match up well with Stephenville. I remember years when Stephenville couldn't beat its way out of a wet paper sack. But the topic is about six man football schools and player participation. Look at the schools with the highest sixman enrollments and see if they played for state the last few years.
Im not talking about the rare exceptional talent that comes around every once in a while. Im talking about consistently competing. A school with enrollment numbers in the 30’s cannot consistently compete with schools with numbers in the 90’s. Its just common sense.

The split is a good thing!! It is not impossible but extremely rare for a school to compete with another school that has 2x or 3x the enrollment numbers. I actually believe the 6man cutoff could be dropped down to 85-90
Teams knocked out: Westbrook, Garden City, Jonesboro, Irion County, Milford, to name a few. That would hurt 6 man.

Back