New Mercy Rule Idea

Murdoch

Six-man fan
I had a thought about the mercy rule. How about if when one team gets up by say 45 points, thereafter any scores they make such as touchdown or extra point or whatever will count one point each. If the losing team, whose points remain normal makes a comeback and pulls within the 45 points, then the winning team's scores will revert back to the regular points until they regain their 45 point advantage. Here's what I think this would accomplish. First the scores shouldn't get too far out of hand. Second with the game going a full four quarters, the fans will get their money's worth instead of getting a half a game for their money. Third perhaps more kids will get in some more playing time and any player who has the potential to make it into the record books (rushing yards, TD passes, etc.) will get more playing time. I've heard it said "Look at (insert name here) had all those yards, passes, or whatever and only played two quarters most games. And lastly people have asked why 6-man games are never televised like the 11 man championships and it was said that they couldn't predict the time needed. Well this should solve that situation. What does anyone think?

"Stripped of its philosophical garment, logic is common sense writ large."
It sounds sensible to me initially but I'm sure others can find fault.
Tradition. Get it over with and go home. Displaying domination.

This is a great idea! Could this actually take over the 45 point mercy rule? I would like to see games actually last the whole four quarters. As a coach this would also be a great opportunity to get those guys who don't get a lot of playing time the experience.

There is no logical reason to continue a game after a 45 point rule. Maybe , to keep a concession stand open. But in my opinion more playing time could lead to an injury to either team. No way an opposing team could overcome a 45 point deficit. If anything it should be taken down to 40.

Interesting idea- would be beneficial for the kids that are on the sideline and don't get much playing time. Gives a coach the chance to develop younger players in a game situation... I really don't see the down side... While I may be in the minority, I am not sure what throwing up a 50-60 point 45 rule I. The first half does to build your program long term... Just my humble opinion...get your younger players some playing time...

How important are stats to you? When you change the scoring system after a team gets a lead of 45+ it will effect all of your stats state wide. You already have good teams trying to cram a full game of stats into a half in order for their kids to compete with stats of medicore teams who have a terrible defense but can score 90 points a game. When the two teams play head to head the good team will win going away, but will almost always be behind the medicore in individual stats. It comes with having a mercy rule. What you propose will make it worse.

JAFO":8w635yu0 said:
There is no logical reason to continue a game after a 45 point rule. Maybe , to keep a concession stand open. But in my opinion more playing time could lead to an injury to either team. No way an opposing team could overcome a 45 point deficit. If anything it should be taken down to 40.

Someone please give us the finer details of the 2002 Calvert/Sanderson State Championship game.
The basics of the story are: Sanderson goes in at half one score away from sending Calvert home by mercy rule, only to loose the game. Strange things happen...

Mercy Rule. I like it the way it is. The best team week 5 is quite likely not the best team in weak 15 because of injuries. Short games reduce injuries for BOTH teams. What was it? 1999 when Gordon wins a state championship with a 14-1 record and the one they were 45d by a team that didn't make the playoffs? Staying healthy is huge.

I have always thought the way to go is a game with a 45 point deficit at the end of the 3RD should end. Gives you another quarter after halftime to maybe put a show on, or at least a full quarter of your 2nd string.

SiXmAnMaDnEsS":lwkqc2ze said:
I have always thought the way to go is a game with a 45 point deficit at the end of the 3RD should end. Gives you another quarter after halftime to maybe put a show on, or at least a full quarter of your 2nd string.

I've thought the same. You could play with a running clock for the quarter, would allow for backups to gain game time experience and lessen chance of injury,

Also thought you could have something similar to NFL overtime rule. Each team gets one possession after half, if trailing team manages to close the gap under 45, play continues, if not, game ends. Just a thought.

First off I dont see how anything that is being said makes sense when put all together. People are saying extend the game so that kids get more playing time and others are saying that if you extend the game it would allow for more teams to compete statistically with the the teams that are playing all 4 quarters. You cant have both I am sorry either pull your starters to allow for other kids to get playing time or keep your starters to get more statistics and keep scoring. To me the 45 point rule is a good thing. Example you go up 45 kick off and recover a fumble and score again going up 46. (With said new rule) Now we get the ball and go down and somehow score now you are only up 38. Well we kick off and you go score on the first play making it now 46 again. Lets say on that next kickoff we score again. and then you score again. the game will always be at 46. In order for a team to overcome a 45 point deficit you will have to outscore your opponent by 5.65 touchdowns in a half while converting all PAT Field goals. Not saying that it cant be done but very seldom do you see something like that. Obviously if the team was up 45 they will probably score lets say atleast 1 or 2 times a quarter so that would mean you would have to score and convert on 9 tds in the second half and that was only being down 45. What would you do to a team that is up by 40 and then they score now they are up 48. To much to have to decipher. The idea is good to allow the kids playing time but in 6 man some teams only have 8 to 12 players and they are getting plenty of opportunities to play in a game and not adding more hits is a good thing. If coaches were better at getting kids in while up instead of trying to always prove they can win by 80 is the problem. If you have 24 kids get JV games in the non district schedule there are always teams on here saying need a game on this date. Then the excuse becomes well my kids cant compete with there varsity so you cant schedule that game. So instead you take the field on friday against a team with 6 kids and you have 25 on the sideline better find time to get them in if this is what we are wanting. Maybe 11 man should institute a mercy rule as I see games there getting way outta hand 93-6 87-0 76-6 these games are worse than in 6 man because in 6 man you can score 35 points a quarter but in 11 man it is pretty difficult to accumulate a bunch of scoring in a row. Just my opinion

The 45point rule should be an optional decision between the coaches. If they can't agree, game over. That way, the coaches decide whether to continue or not and removes all the problems talked about. You have 8 against 20 and you can't take chances, game over. You both have good #'s and want to carry on, go for it. The game shouldn't be about statistics but about life values/discipline these young men and women have the opportunity to learn.

A lot of people want to say it's not right to keep playing a game after a teams been 45d that its pretty much just bullying. Yet what about the guys on the bench that bust their tails every week in practice. They do everything that the first team does and also their parents drive two hours just to watch them on the sideline. How in the world is that fair to the 2nd string? That's how a lot teams lose players they'll start off with 30 and end up with about 12 at the end cause they never get to play.

agreed schwarz but that again goes back to the coach needing to get his kids in the game. whether you are up 45 or down 45 if you have the kids you may want to start playing them. My guess is that if you are down 45 and have 30 kids on the sideline then maybe you should be looking at some of those kids as playing more often as oppose to sittin on the sideline. All the kids deserve to play in a game if the score is outta hand I do agree to that, but just because we drive 2 hours doesnt mean that my son has to be in the game for a set time. If my son is not as good as the starter then he should be behind him but if that starter is getting beat by 40 then yeah my son deserves a shot just like the other kiddos. That would be how I'd look at it.

It's a complicated situation because nobody is going to agree on this. Everybody has good opinions about this topic but I just wish the game would last all four quarters. I believe it should be up to the coaches as well. If one of the coaches thinks his team has had enough throw out the white flag and the game will end.

Nothing to say after the game has ended early that you cant talk to the other coach about scrimmaging his B team:) You already paid for the refs..

Im not sure of a rule against it.

If you have 24+ on a team, there is no reason not to be playing a JV schedule. A lot of playing time for younger kids. Anyone carried on varsity should be good enough to be getting playing time no matter what the score is. Where you guys have an arguement is when there are 12 to 17 on a team. There is not quite enough for a full or even a partial JV schedule. The lower end of the team is not good enough to contribute to a varsity game and gets only a play or two in any game. It is not fair for those kids to be put in a Varsity game against a team that does have a JV and only carries 10 to 12 on their Varsity. There is not a good answer to this. Extending a game in that situation doesn't do anyone any good. In other states there are schools who combine their students for athletic purposes. What about combining the lower end of two schools in order to have a JV schedule. Just a thought.

Back