New Rule for 2023

Legacy Zebra

Six-man fan
There was a pretty substantial rule change made by the UIL this year that has somewhat flown under the radar. It has to do with field goals and extra points, and since most teams don’t run those units in scrimmages, I figured I’d post it here so people aren’t surprised or confused when it gets called this year. You can find the actual rule language in the UIL Rule Exception document, but here is the basic version.

When the offense is in formation to attempt a place kick (which includes field goals from scrimmage and kicked extra points) the defense is not allowed to move forward and make contact with an opponent within 1 second of the snap unless they are in a 3 or 4 point stance and stationary within a yard of the line of scrimmage at the snap.

That means that if a defensive player is standing up, he cannot move forward and initiate contact with any offensive player within 1 second of the snap. It does not matter if a kick is actually attempted, only that the offense was in formation to attempt one.

This will be a personal foul. That means that if the kick is no good, it will be a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down on a field goal attempt from scrimmage. On a try, it would be half the distance and replay the try. If the kick is good on a field goal attempt from scrimmage, the offense would have the option of keeping the 4 points and enforcing the penalty on the kickoff, or taking the points off the board and taking the penalty at the previous spot. If the kick is good on a try, the penalty will carryover to the kickoff.

This rule will apply in both 11- and 6-man football. It will NOT be a foul in any college games you watch. Unlike most rules we play by (NCAA rules with UIL exceptions), this was created fully by the UIL. It is not an NCAA rule.

Mike, I put this in the general forum for the traffic, but feel free to move it to the Ask A Ref section if you’d rather have it there.

So does this new rule eliminate a defensive rusher from running across the line of scrimmage where there isn't an offensive player to contact?? A speed guy on the outside?

So does this new rule eliminate a defensive rusher from running across the line of scrimmage where there isn't an offensive player to contact?? A speed guy on the outside?
I think it says you can rush all six if you want to as long as they come out of a 3 or 4 point stance. They have to be lined up within a yard of the line of scrimmage and stationary before snap. Like a sprinter coming out of the blocks.

No. If there's no contact, there's no foul.

I think it says you can rush all six if you want to as long as they come out of a 3 or 4 point stance. They have to be lined up within a yard of the line of scrimmage and stationary before snap. Like a sprinter coming out of the blocks.
They don't necessarily have to be in a 3 or 4 point stance to rush. They just have to be in a 3 or 4 point stance to make forcible contact within 1 second of the snap.

No. If there's no contact, there's no foul.

They don't necessarily have to be in a 3 or 4 point stance to rush. They just have to be in a 3 or 4 point stance to make forcible contact within 1 second of the snap.
The rule doesn't specify that the contact has to be "forcible". Only says contact cannot be initiated. What's now being said is if a player is not in a 3 or 4 point stance at the snap and he is within one yard of the LOS, if that player moves forward and makes contact, it is to be a foul. The only stipulation we are being given is if it's a standing (not in a 3/4 point stance) player coming from the edge and he barely makes contact that is deemed "unintentional" we leave that alone. But if an interior defensive player rushes up the middle and makes any contact with the offensive lineman, it's a foul.

I talked to the referees at our game last Friday about this and they didn’t call one penalty about all 6 of the opposing teams players standing up and rushing in/making contact. So apparently not every chapter understands this new rule…

This is a very misunderstood rule. The interpretation that I got from a referee was you can rush as usual, but must have a a hand on the ground. I think this was intended to keep someone from getting a running start and guess the snap.

Team A is lining up for PAT or Field Goal
Team B (Defense) if lined up in front of offensive players must be in a 3 or 4 point stance
Team B may have gunners from the outside standing and can proceed in similar fashion as in the past to block kick just as long as pre-snap they are not lined up directly in front of offensive player.
If Team B is to surge through the gaps initial contact must be made by defensive players that begin a 3 or 4 point stance.

This is to the judgement of the particular crew and or interpretation for which their chapter is prepared to apply.

As we all know in our 6 man game PAT means everything between a W/L, my suggestion would be to clarify with each crew before your contest and coach kids up on the fly to adjust/adapt as needed.

so what was the reason for the new rule, i don't see a meaning for it, if its for safety purposes then change the ruling on onside kicks, thats where usually kids get hurt in sixman

The rule doesn't specify that the contact has to be "forcible". Only says contact cannot be initiated. What's now being said is if a player is not in a 3 or 4 point stance at the snap and he is within one yard of the LOS, if that player moves forward and makes contact, it is to be a foul. The only stipulation we are being given is if it's a standing (not in a 3/4 point stance) player coming from the edge and he barely makes contact that is deemed "unintentional" we leave that alone. But if an interior defensive player rushes up the middle and makes any contact with the offensive lineman, it's a foul.
This is one interpretation that has been passed around. Apparently even TASO/UIL can’t agree on what the true philosophy is supposed to be. From what I’ve heard different instructors gave inconsistent information at different regional clinics.

And the rule doesn’t use the word forcible, but it says “incidental or slight contact should be ignored”. So if it’s not slight or incidental, it would be forcible right?
so what was the reason for the new rule, i don't see a meaning for it, if its for safety purposes then change the ruling on onside kicks, thats where usually kids get hurt in sixman
Nobody up the chain can give an answer other than a generic “for player safety”. But if I had to guess I would say that somebody on the rules committee got a kid hurt on a pat and this became a pet project for them. Most coaches that I’ve talked to don’t even know the rule exists, much less a reason for it. I don’t see how the rusher being in a 2 pt a more dangerous for the blocker than being in a 3 pt. If it was restricting getting a running start, that might make sense. I think it was a poorly conceived and poorly written rule.

There was a pretty substantial rule change made by the UIL this year that has somewhat flown under the radar. It has to do with field goals and extra points, and since most teams don’t run those units in scrimmages, I figured I’d post it here so people aren’t surprised or confused when it gets called this year. You can find the actual rule language in the UIL Rule Exception document, but here is the basic version.

When the offense is in formation to attempt a place kick (which includes field goals from scrimmage and kicked extra points) the defense is not allowed to move forward and make contact with an opponent within 1 second of the snap unless they are in a 3 or 4 point stance and stationary within a yard of the line of scrimmage at the snap.

That means that if a defensive player is standing up, he cannot move forward and initiate contact with any offensive player within 1 second of the snap. It does not matter if a kick is actually attempted, only that the offense was in formation to attempt one.

This will be a personal foul. That means that if the kick is no good, it will be a 15 yard penalty and an automatic first down on a field goal attempt from scrimmage. On a try, it would be half the distance and replay the try. If the kick is good on a field goal attempt from scrimmage, the offense would have the option of keeping the 4 points and enforcing the penalty on the kickoff, or taking the points off the board and taking the penalty at the previous spot. If the kick is good on a try, the penalty will carryover to the kickoff.

This rule will apply in both 11- and 6-man football. It will NOT be a foul in any college games you watch. Unlike most rules we play by (NCAA rules with UIL exceptions), this was created fully by the UIL. It is not an NCAA rule.

Mike, I put this in the general forum for the traffic, but feel free to move it to the Ask A Ref section if you’d rather have it there.
What is the purpose of this rule

They usually state safety were there actual injuries and at what level per play. My observation is that kids with less experience are put in on those plays and are not taught the fundamentals. Just my observations. Most do not know how to block and how to react and take contact.

Back