My proposal to TAPPS

pup

11-man fan
In my opinion, here's how to fix all that's wrong with the current three bracket system.

1- Have a true two division system. Fine tune that top end number between DI and DII. A couple teams will move up to DI. Then you will have more equal numbers of teams in each division. Having 25-30 teams per division would be good.

2- Go to 16 team brackets. No byes. District champs play lower seeded teams in first round. South half and north half on the brackets. Top team from the south plays the top team from the north in the finals.

3- Combine a couple of districts. Seeing as a few schools will bump up to DI, district 2 & 3 could combine to make a nice 8 or 9 team district. Districts 4 & 5 could do the same. Scheduling would be much easier and district games would have meaning again. No, not everyone makes the playoffs. Much like life, not everyone wins. That would make an even four districts. Top 4 make the playoffs.

A major problem in TAPPS is the "squeaky wheel syndrome." Seems like every year there is a squeaky wheel and things change because of "that" school or "that" district. If TAPPS had a sound system and stuck by it then things would be equal for all. Yes I know, equal is not always fair. Sometimes those really small schools have trouble fielding a team or making the playoffs. Instead of changing the system for those few schools how about teaching those boys the lesson of perseverance and sometimes, no matter how hard you try or want something, it just doesn't work out. Instead instill an atmosphere of "we gave it our all and we are proud of what we did."

TAPPS, please make the playoff system meaningful and competitive again. Let's see some small school warriors battle against the bigger schools. Let's see teams fighting for district crowns again. Please make winning a State Championship a true accomplishment and not just a free ride to the quarters or semis. Most of all please fix it for the boys playing ball.

1) 16 teams in the playoff out of 25 teams?...over half the field there bub. Seems you want it watered down in a way that is refreshing to you.
2) T.A.P.P.S. is not public. They have more consistent numbers to build up from.
I doubt they have to fix "a squeaky wheel" Allen Eagles all of a sudden dropping down to 1A numbers. I notice in T.A.P.P.S. that some schools numbers are very fluid.
3) Teams bail for 11-man. More "squeaky wheels"
4) If you don't think some of the 11 man programs have cake walks to the regional finals and state semis then you haven't paid attention to football at all. WOS walks through nearly yearly, Katy walks through nearly yearly, Lake Travis walks through, Aledo walks through, Bremen breezed through...figuring this out? There are filler-playoff games no matter the classifications.
5) I want some BBQ right now.
6) In the end the better teams will play each other no matter. Let's enjoy the play!

SicEm74":1ljtg7kz said:
1) 16 teams in the playoff out of 25 teams?...over half the field there bub. Seems you want it watered down in a way that is refreshing to you.

Let's look at current numbers. The way the playoff system is now only 7 teams don't make the playoffs! SEVEN!! I am suggesting two divisions, two playoff brackets. There are currently 52 teams in TAPPS sixman. Put 16 teams in DI playoff bracket, 16 teams in DII bracket. That'd be 32 out of 52. By my calculations that would be 20 teams starting basketball early.

I still maintain that TAPPS would have to modify the enrollment number between large and small schools. What is it now, 100? What would numbers in two divisions look like if they went with 90 or 95? And does anyone know why they don't count just boys enrollment for football anymore?

Problem with D2 would be teams dropping out. Last season they had to axe and entire district in D2! If I'm not mistaken. D1 would be ideal but the low end numbers is where you have your issues.

And what happens when you're looking at an "NBA West vs East" situation. Last year in the D3 bracket it was clear the state champ would be either Baytown, Freddy, or Seguin.
The tougher half of the 3 brackets were the South teams. LO walked through their back while NBCA faced stout opponents. Same can be said in the D1 bracket. The meat was in the South.

So the "need" to play a first round game is just one of nostalgia.

Back