Coaching Carousel

truthhurts17":42uxpq7r said:
I've seen several times a team was up 30 and end up losing. Why risk that, why risk injuries? Teams that are getting whooped tend to start playing dirty...so yea let's put in our young guys to get hurt. 9 x out of 10 the other team isnt going to put in there other kids to play your younger. I think you need to just let coaches make the best decision about their teams and mind your own. Or how bout get a degree and apply for a coaching job.
We were talking about games that has already been decided by 45 points and scrimmaging with players who had not seen the field or seldom see it. Just an idea to get more reps for the younger or less played teammates. Injuries will always be a fear of any athletic endeavor and thanks for pointing out that the coaches are in charge. Even coaches need help or new ideas now and then, that's why they have so many assistants now and this totally enlightening website. Do I need to have a degree to call an offensive play or two, such as Right Wing Right Sweep or End Around Pass to that tall skinny receiver? So you need to be a coach to have an ideas or input? I think not Sherlock.

TebowTime15":1trw5tce said:
Johnny and Bluecat both make excellent points. Maybe you could leave it up to the losing coach whether you go home after half or run X number of plays (with a maximum number in place) via the scrimmage format. To be frank, I think this would be more helpful in a non-district game.

I'm not a coach anymore, but did do it for a while. Personally, I would always pick reps unless my team has nothing left. It builds character, and the winning team can get back ups reps without having to worry about winning or losing. As it is now, the best I have ever seen it handled is when Vance Jones played his back ups when he was one TD away from the mercy rule and his starters when he was 2 TD.

I love sixman, but hate that teams play less ball because of the mercy rule.

These are the rules we adopted for the Texas Sixman Football Independent Bowl Series that may address some of your concerns:
1. When a team is ahead by 31 points or more they can only rush one player.
2. When a team is ahead by 31 points or more they cannot pitch or pass. There must be a hand off.
3. When a team is ahead by 31 points or more they must kick away, no on side kicks.
4. Every player must play one down per quarter or four plays per game.
This last rule is a result of attending too many “All Star” games where some players never got in the game because one coach or the other was trying for a “45” point win. Too many players, parents and family members never got the chance to cheer for their All Star.
We use TASO Officials and they have no objection to these modifications and in 20 games they were only instituted for about 3 series of one game. No problem!

FCSA football":2xh9a2qo said:
TebowTime15":2xh9a2qo said:
Johnny and Bluecat both make excellent points. Maybe you could leave it up to the losing coach whether you go home after half or run X number of plays (with a maximum number in place) via the scrimmage format. To be frank, I think this would be more helpful in a non-district game.

I'm not a coach anymore, but did do it for a while. Personally, I would always pick reps unless my team has nothing left. It builds character, and the winning team can get back ups reps without having to worry about winning or losing. As it is now, the best I have ever seen it handled is when Vance Jones played his back ups when he was one TD away from the mercy rule and his starters when he was 2 TD.

I love sixman, but hate that teams play less ball because of the mercy rule.

These are the rules we adopted for the Texas Sixman Football Independent Bowl Series that may address some of your concerns:
1. When a team is ahead by 31 points or more they can only rush one player.
2. When a team is ahead by 31 points or more they cannot pitch or pass. There must be a hand off.
3. When a team is ahead by 31 points or more they must kick away, no on side kicks.
4. Every player must play one down per quarter or four plays per game.
This last rule is a result of attending too many “All Star” games where some players never got in the game because one coach or the other was trying for a “45” point win. Too many players, parents and family members never got the chance to cheer for their All Star.
We use TASO Officials and they have no objection to these modifications and in 20 games they were only instituted for about 3 series of one game. No problem!

I actually don't like that because teams can comeback from 30 points down. The first sixman game I ever played in, my team was up 24-0 at half, our best player got ejected, and the other team won 37-24.

To the gentleman that said we should go get degrees, I actually agree with you. My plan would help coaches get reps, which may be in their best interest. You said "just end it," but I don't understand why 11-man has made it all this time without a mercy rule. Why even play football if we are going to let injuries dictate how much we play?

When/if the the 31 point deficit changes to less than 31, regular rules resume. As I said, in twenty games it was only instituted for about 3 series of play then regular rules resumed. It causes strategy sessions and keeps the game interesting. The institution of the rules into the game are very discrete. Many fans didn’t notice the change at all. We have received much more praise than criticism for these additions.

Johnny South":2bz21ye7 said:
I'm not positive, but more than likely the schools liability would go through the roof sanctioning participation in such a debacle as that.

DEBACLE? DEBALCE? How rude!

I will say Landon is better then the middle child . Prolly faster then the older .The older one is a bull dozer and is a good player . I would figure Landon will get most of the touches . Now the younger son will be the stud of them all . Landon on the team makes it a state team . Richland had the same kids last year including the Rigdon boys and didn’t win it . So I would say Landon and the valley boys will determine . With help of bigger Rigdon

This was another crazy year of coaching changes...51 new head coaches...that's with two schools changing twice...so 49 schools have different head coaches (that I am aware of!)

The past 3 years the turnaround has been crazy...why is that?

I think the Parham kid will be a big loss for them...by far the best defensive player on their team and a great blocker. Talking to some Valley people they seem to not be too worried about losing them. Im more excited to watch the Coach Burkhart vs Coach Rigdon bowl! Anyone want to start a pool on which week it happens?

One _pac2018":2bplwhcm said:
I will say Landon is better then the middle child . Prolly faster then the older .The older one is a bull dozer and is a good player . I would figure Landon will get most of the touches . Now the younger son will be the stud of them all . Landon on the team makes it a state team . Richland had the same kids last year including the Rigdon boys and didn’t win it . So I would say Landon and the valley boys will determine . With help of bigger Rigdon

I would recommend waiting until you see the valley boys play, one of them is as big strong and tough as any kid around, a absolute monster in weight room and against the sled and dummy, fast too!!!! The other is also fast and strong, this will be the deepest team in the state I can guarantee that!! Burkhart’s hardest decision is going to be which 6 out of 10 studs should he start each week!!
This squad without Landon or older rigdon kid could get to second or third round easy!!! Now add two special talents to that!!

Johnny South":2wqx87it said:
6manfamily, I am just curious. Do you commute from Melvin to RS to watch practice, or just hear through the grapevine? Just wondering.

I hear a lot I have friends in the area, but I work out that way and pass thru a lot so I never pass up a chance to stop in and watch football. I wish Rochelle was in the evening I would like to see what they have going on. The word I hear is they have retooled with some transfers from Brady and lohn(legit or not idk) and they plan to win that district. They seem to believe and the cherry brothers have them ready to take down the coyotes. Should be fun

Dear 6familyfeller,

So Dos Cherrys got them thinkin’ they iz gonna take down Richland? I knowd they is runnin’ ISO on offense, but iz it true they iz runnin’ a 1-4-1 defense?

Goob":k5t51wgt said:
Dear 6familyfeller,

So Dos Cherrys got them thinkin’ they iz gonna take down Richland? I knowd they is runnin’ ISO on offense, but iz it true they iz runnin’ a 1-4-1 defense?

I could not tell you, I just know the spirits are high and they expect to make a playoff run. I’ll say this.... I ain’t seen them yet but from what I’ve seen and heard bout the coyotes they will need more than 1-4-1 to slow them down. Maybe a 4-4-4 would work.

todaysnottheday":1oczhz2z said:
Johnny South":1oczhz2z said:
All the wusses who want to talk about one-act-play need to go to one-act-play.com, and those who want to talk about test scores should go to test scores.com. This is the site to talk sixman football. And longhorn, I seriously doubt that you would even know the difference in a classic example and a paradigm.

Johnny we are all aware of what this sight is and that just goes to show you are only a football supporter not a student supporter. You only want to win football games to get some glory of whatever you were never able to accomplish in your own life. The kids at Richland Springs do not have a choice because they are told you will play football. The choice is taken away from them because if they don't play the game of football they are treated with disrespect and the coaches go out of their way to get them into trouble. So hopefully you can stand on the side lines and live out your glory years through these student's lives. Sounds pathetic if you ask me, but you didn't ask me and I dang sure don't give a crap about your opinion.
Well said.

Back