Coaching Carousel

Murdoch":3k5ytnp3 said:
And what pillar of higher education might you be a distinguished alumni of?
EXCELLENT QUESTION!

Also a reply to:
“Bleed Hornet Blue”
I’ve known Coach Cherry for a number of years. He helped me tremendously in moving to the six man game.
He offered information and encouragement that has helped hundreds of kids. Based on my personal knowledge and experience with Coach Cherry I can say with confidence that you and your kids are fortunate and Blessed to have him.
Best of Luck !

“Bleed Hornet Blue”
I’ve known Coach Cherry for a number of years. He helped me tremendously in moving to the six man game.
He offered information and encouragement that has helped hundreds of kids. Based on my personal knowledge and experience with Coach Cherry I can say with confidence that you and your kids are fortunate and Blessed to have him.
Best of Luck ![/quote]

Thank you we are thrilled to have him.

don't know anything about the Rochelle situation. my beef is with RS and "legalized recruiting". I suspect it has been happening for a long time. pretty easy to win state championships when you hire kids not coaches

Propotential":2ze5s5i6 said:
That’s football in Texas! It happens quite often.

Yep. It's been going on for years. Over 20 years ago, my dear sweet wife worked for a large San Antonio area district football powerhouse (then with 1 HS, now with 3). Anyway, the star athlete was in her math class. He didn't live in the district, but his dear sweet momma had a cafeteria job for at least his high school football playing days. The neighboring district AD wasn't too thrilled, but there wasn't anything he could do.

By the way, that school had some decent discipline for football players during the season. Each player was assigned to one of the assistant coaches who would tell the player's teachers to contact them if there was any problems with the football players. This being before the days of wifi and email regular access, teachers would go to the office and put a note in the assigned coach's mailbox. One day, my wife had an issue with lack of doing homework or something like that with the aforementioned star athlete. So, she heads down to the office during her off period, drops a note in the coach's mailbox and does a couple other errands in the next few minutes. When she returned to the classroom, the assigned coach was already there! Their response time did drop off following football season, though.

Just about every school in Texas has or would do it under the right circumstance. That's just how the world turns. There's worse things.

Murdoch":2mjnytp4 said:
Just about every school in Texas has or would do it under the right circumstance. That's just how the world turns. There's worse things.
While it's true that there are more important things in this world than sixman football (very few), condoning it is just perpetuating the problem. To adopt the attitude that, RS is just trying to win and winners do whatever is necessary, probably doesn't send the best message to the student-athlete... now does it? The WV is as guilty of it as the next school (although not to the RS level) as evidenced when they imported folks from Follett, and I believe you are correct that most every school in Texas has or would do it under the right circumstance, but that doesn't make it right. RS has elevated this to an art form and all the cedar-chopper banter in the world cannot change this obvious thing. Burkhart... this cat really does have nine lives.

bleedhornetblue":26oeeuho said:
Not trying to start a pi##ing match here, but here are the facts that 6manfamily wanted from TEA website.
State Accountability rating
Richland Springs 2018 TEA School Report Card Rochelle
Overall 73 84
Student Achievement 70 85
School Progress 76 86
Closing the Gaps 66 80

I do not understand the Rochelle is a circus comment we hired a new AD in Shawn Rodgers and he gave us his word that Rochelle was where he wanted to be then signed a contract with us. He then within weeks signed a contract with Richland Springs but just forgot to inform us. In fact he finally informed us he was leaving weeks after but we did not find out he had another job until Coach Cherry asked to be allowed to make the transition to Rochelle and we were told sure as long as you will let Rodgers go ahead and come over here. Not trying to bad mouth anyone because Rochelle is thrilled with how this all worked out. We love having Coach Cherry and his family and are extremely blessed to have him mentoring our kids. I assume RS is happy as well. Just stating some facts because I do not agree with the circus comment. Dave Lewis has done amazing things with Rochelle and our future is bright.
Your school board makes Rochelle a circus. When you have board members publicly bad mouthing former coaches, you become a circus. Rochelle was "thrilled" when Coach Phillips left and the next coach took over. Then, that coach pissed off a school board member and he was sent packing. School board members tried to get Rigdon to come in, but of course, he was way smarter than people thought. Next, you hire Rogers. That lasted 6 weeks. Finally Cherry comes in. All three with Richland ties. For a school community who claims the Coyotes as their biggest rival, they sure tried to snatch up any available Richland coach. December through May makes Rochelle a circus, sir/ma'am.

Morey P.":1xlkjk0i said:
bleedhornetblue":1xlkjk0i said:
Not trying to start a pi##ing match here, but here are the facts that 6manfamily wanted from TEA website.
Overall 73 84
School Progress 76 86
Closing the Gaps 66 80

I do not understand the Rochelle is a circus comment we hired a new AD in Shawn Rodgers and he gave us his word that Rochelle was where he wanted to be then signed a contract with us. He then within weeks signed a contract with Richland Springs but just forgot to inform us. In fact he finally informed us he was leaving weeks after but we did not find out he had another job until Coach Cherry asked to be allowed to make the transition to Rochelle and we were told sure as long as you will let Rodgers go ahead and come over here. Not trying to bad mouth anyone because Rochelle is thrilled with how this all worked out. We love having Coach Cherry and his family and are extremely blessed to have him mentoring our kids. I assume RS is happy as well. Just stating some facts because I do not agree with the circus comment. Dave Lewis has done amazing things with Rochelle and our future is bright.
Your school board makes Rochelle a circus. When you have board members publicly bad mouthing former coaches, you become a circus. Rochelle was "thrilled" when Coach Phillips left and the next coach took over. Then, that coach pissed off a school board member and he was sent packing. School board members tried to get Rigdon to come in, but of course, he was way smarter than people thought. Next, you hire Rogers. That lasted 6 weeks. Finally Cherry comes in. All three with Richland ties. For a school community who claims the Coyotes as their biggest rival, they sure tried to snatch up any available Richland coach. December through May makes Rochelle a circus, sir/ma'am.

Very well said, the problem is the board members love to feel important or most anyway, they talk to everyone about everything and when decisions need to be made they are all old high school buddies so they just stick together, Lewis is a good guy from what I know but u hired a inexperienced superintendent and a inexperienced principal then in same year let them hire inexperienced teachers, assistant girls coach(with no degree) and inexperienced AD HC and sat back and let them run off good students and families as they tried to figure out what they were doing.. and can’t say you were not aware of mistakes they were making cause you were right there pushing ur kids in front of their faces the entire time!! This is why Rochelle is a circus, best of luck tho!!

6manfamily":1pyfxoad said:
Morey P.":1pyfxoad said:
bleedhornetblue":1pyfxoad said:
Overall 73 84
School Progress 76 86
Closing the Gaps 66 80

Very well said, the problem is the board members love to feel important or most anyway, they talk to everyone about everything and when decisions need to be made they are all old high school buddies so they just stick together, Lewis is a good guy from what I know but u hired a inexperienced superintendent and a inexperienced principal then in same year let them hire inexperienced teachers, assistant girls coach(with no degree) and inexperienced AD HC and sat back and let them run off good students and families as they tried to figure out what they were doing.. and can’t say you were not aware of mistakes they were making cause you were right there pushing ur kids in front of their faces the entire time!! This is why Rochelle is a circus, best of luck tho!!
Spot on! Don't forget the teachers with over 10 years experience they also ran off. Many of whom had no intention of leaving the school district. You can't mess with people's careers and livelihood and expect something good to come out of it...

The problem with a lot of smaller schools that experience a lot of athletic success is the fact that a lot of people(parents,school board members,Monday morning quarterbacks,etc.) all of a sudden become experts about the game. When the successful coach leaves and a new one is hired, those so called experts think they know more than the newly hired coach and when those so-called influential people start the moaning and groaning, the lynch mob mentality takes over. Grow up folks! It's a game for the kids. Not life and death!

Little Doc":2zv97xye said:
The problem with a lot of smaller schools that experience a lot of athletic success is the fact that a lot of people(parents,school board members,Monday morning quarterbacks,etc.) all of a sudden become experts about the game. When the successful coach leaves and a new one is hired, those so called experts think they know more than the newly hired coach and when those so-called influential people start the moaning and groaning, the lynch mob mentality takes over. Grow up folks! It's a game for the kids. Not life and death!

A wise and successful coach once told me that if the choice was between listening to the locals (administrators, school board, parents, others) on how to coach or winning football games, always choose winning football games. There will always be a job for a winning coach.

Little Doc":1zjeha7f said:

Add to that when the so called expert/board member or members is a parent of kids with at best, average talent but they want them to be the star of the team at the same school that they themselves was average at best at its a recipe for disaster!! But like I said before I’m rooting for all the small town schools I just happen to live in BRADY Texas and have friends close to the RS and Richelle programs so I see a lot! Well lohn too but they may not have a team since Rochelle has lured away the Sr. And Freshman kid, but I am curious if the administration is seriously going to accept the utility bill from a address they do not live at just so they can be eligible... that can’t be legal right?? I mean it’s my understanding that those boys use to go to Rochelle and everyone know for sure where they live and will be living and they should not be eligible, so let’s see just how bad they want to keep their CIRCUS status!!

Hopefully both schools have made the necessary moves to put their district and student on paths for success, like all small towns little changes can make a huge difference, I’m sure they all know that! So even tho I don’t have a dog in the fight I pay close attention to sixman schools in my area. I have pretty strong feelings about the disaster that is lohn and the up and coming eden program as well as the downward spiral of the panther creek panthers as well. At the end of the day all any adult wants is the people in charge to treat people fairly, put students and education first, and to see that tough decisions can be made by those leaders when needed to reignite a spark in the schools moral and performance when it’s needed! Food for thought..... what if rigdon left for Cherokee, lohn, or PC and we could add that school to the contender list for district championship and watch the competitiveness of the coaches/teams go way up as none of them(cherry, rigdon,burkhart, Rogers) would want to accept a L from the other?? Sounds exciting!!

This site isn’t called academics! It’s called sixman football . Who cares about Academics on here lol ? Should be know one considering we are on this website for football ! Lol if your a stud you will graduate ! So be good at sports!

The students scores are not near as impressive as the football scores, but no one is talking about that because of the championships Richland Springs holds.

Everyone's test scores stink on ice! That's not news worthy! I heard on the news that in some Baltimore schools that not a single kid in THE ENTIRE schools can pass the basic standard on English and Math. I think you go help them because RS at least has a few!

The saddest thing is that things don't change if you continue to keep doing them the same way. The school board keeps letting Burkhart come back and yet again same old same old. So until Richland Springs makes some changes they are a joke to the rest of the world.

Cleveland let LeBron come back and won their first ring in 64 years. I would say Jerry Burkhart and Landon Burkhart equal LeBronesque talent.

Can Jerry win #10? (I think it's #10 at least!) Rankin really screwed up; poor Jerry probably had to take a pay cut to go back to RS.

Back