Coaching Carousel

It looks like the recruiting issue has split to another session but I guess I will stay with this one. Of course the one thing no one has mentioned is money. Making the playoffs and winning state championships equals money coming into a school district. And just because it's been done in the past doesn't make it ok. stopping it starts with coaches, then administrators and then school boards.the uil can only make so many rules and if you choose to it's easy to work around it. the easiest way is with teachers and coaches. they move a lot anyway. so as their talented kids approach high school age their value goes up. of course every town wants the prestige of a state championship, it just wouldn't seem that valuable if you're cheating to get one. or 7 or 8.

wrenchman540":39hv387b said:
It looks like the recruiting issue has split to another session but I guess I will stay with this one. Of course the one thing no one has mentioned is money. Making the playoffs and winning state championships equals money coming into a school district. And just because it's been done in the past doesn't make it ok. stopping it starts with coaches, then administrators and then school boards.the uil can only make so many rules and if you choose to it's easy to work around it. the easiest way is with teachers and coaches. they move a lot anyway. so as their talented kids approach high school age their value goes up. of course every town wants the prestige of a state championship, it just wouldn't seem that valuable if you're cheating to get one. or 7 or 8.
In sixman football one or two players can make the difference in winning and losing when the supporting cast of both opponents are similar in talent. Since a lot of teams have the same players on both offense and defense you are talking about eight to ten primary players who carry the load in games. That was my experience when I played and what I observed with opposing teams. We didn't play the Borden County or Garden City type schools who fielded up to sixty players on their squads(probably included some jv players too). It of course can vary, I noticed Milford played pretty much the same eight to ten players last year except when they had a blow out win. I think that may be the 45 point rule might be better implemented at the end of the third quarter to give second team players a chance to play more. it couldn't hurt. Fans make the trip and paid their ticket, let them watch the kids play a little longer. Or if the coaches are against that idea, agree to let their respective second team players scrimmage each other for ten minutes after the game has ended. They came to play right? I'm sure the kids would like scrimmaging at night in front of their friends and parents too. A new wrinkle or idea to keep the players more engaged.

Texlonghorn75":146fhdl7 said:
wrenchman540":146fhdl7 said:
In sixman football one or two players can make the difference in winning and losing when the supporting cast of both opponents are similar in talent. Since a lot of teams have the same players on both offense and defense you are talking about eight to ten primary players who carry the load in games. That was my experience when I played and what I observed with opposing teams. We didn't play the Borden County or Garden City type schools who fielded up to sixty players on their squads(probably included some jv players too). It of course can vary, I noticed Milford played pretty much the same eight to ten players last year except when they had a blow out win. I think that may be the 45 point rule might be better implemented at the end of the third quarter to give second team players a chance to play more. it couldn't hurt. Fans make the trip and paid their ticket, let them watch the kids play a little longer. Or if the coaches are against that idea, agree to let their respective second team players scrimmage each other for ten minutes after the game has ended. They came to play right? I'm sure the kids would like scrimmaging at night in front of their friends and parents too. A new wrinkle or idea to keep the players more engaged.

I agree completely with this idea, I hate mercy rule games, especially with a sideline full of young kids in clean jerseys

TebowTime15":4qfa4ybh said:
The students scores are not near as impressive as the football scores, but no one is talking about that because of the championships Richland Springs holds.

Everyone's test scores stink on ice! That's not news worthy! I heard on the news that in some Baltimore schools that not a single kid in THE ENTIRE schools can pass the basic standard on English and Math. I think you go help them because RS at least has a few!

The saddest thing is that things don't change if you continue to keep doing them the same way. The school board keeps letting Burkhart come back and yet again same old same old. So until Richland Springs makes some changes they are a joke to the rest of the world.

Cleveland let LeBron come back and won their first ring in 64 years. I would say Jerry Burkhart and Landon Burkhart equal LeBronesque talent.

Can Jerry win #10? (I think it's #10 at least!) Rankin really screwed up; poor Jerry probably had to take a pay cut to go back to RS.
Maybe Rankin didn't screw up and Jerry wins #9 anyway!

Rankin really should be better than they are, and I think Burkhart knew that. If I were them, since Jerry didn't work out, I would throw a crap ton of money at Vance Jones. Rankin should be more talented than Balmorhea more years than not.

The mercy rule is so silly! I think they should either A. get rid of it B.change it to where the team ahead 45 by points wins the game still, but you treat the 2nd half like a scrimmage to make sure sixman teams get the same reps as eleven. The mercy rule is really bad for everyone because it limits reps like other posters stated above. It is also bad for the fans; I haven't seen my high school play in a long time because virtually every game will be over at half haha!

The mercy rule has its purpose. When you have 6-10 good players, there is only so much that can be done to keep the score down against bad teams. You would never want to embarrass the opposition by punting on first down nor just hand the ball back to them. And some teams are so bad that they would muff the punt or drop the ball and your defense would score anyway.

Here's an idea. It's halftime or later and one team is ahead by 45. Game's over, right? How about if both teams want to keep playing for the kid's sake and the fan's sake. Turn off the scoreboard. Keep stats and play like normal. If the better teams wants to put in their subs and allow the other team to "catch up" it won't affect the outcome. Or if they want to keep their starters in and whip the other team's butt, it's their choice. It at least gives more kids a chance.

Murdoch":i9t24d7t said:
It at least gives more kids a chance.
It gives the kids on the weak team a chance to be destroyed. When the stronger team played a JV game the night before and only brought 6-10 real varsity player's, I will guarantee you that nothing good will happen for the little weak team in a second half of slaughter. Thus the name. IMO

Why isn't there a mercy rule in 11-man? I think something good come out of Richland Springs' 3rd team play a fringe sixman schools starters; hence, why I advocated for going to a scrimmage format. You turn the scoreboard off, no special teams, and breakaways result in the offensive team getting the ball on the 20.

That's a good idea, but only if that fringe team you talk about is playing a JV schedule. When they play the varsity it's game on! The second and third stringers played on Thursday.

The problem is in the numbers. When you have 45 kids in high school, there’s a good chance you may not have many good players. If that D2 team keeps playing someone with much better players the risk of injuries goes up. Also, those players on the sidelines with a clean jersey are there for a reason and shouldn’t be handed playing time after the game is over. It’s competition and this generation needs to learn to compete.

Johnny and Bluecat both make excellent points. Maybe you could leave it up to the losing coach whether you go home after half or run X number of plays (with a maximum number in place) via the scrimmage format. To be frank, I think this would be more helpful in a non-district game.

I'm not a coach anymore, but did do it for a while. Personally, I would always pick reps unless my team has nothing left. It builds character, and the winning team can get back ups reps without having to worry about winning or losing. As it is now, the best I have ever seen it handled is when Vance Jones played his back ups when he was one TD away from the mercy rule and his starters when he was 2 TD.

I love sixman, but hate that teams play less ball because of the mercy rule.

TebowTime15":s01uantj said:
Johnny and Bluecat both make excellent points. Maybe you could leave it up to the losing coach whether you go home after half or run X number of plays (with a maximum number in place) via the scrimmage format. To be frank, I think this would be more helpful in a non-district game.

I'm not a coach anymore, but did do it for a while. Personally, I would always pick reps unless my team has nothing left. It builds character, and the winning team can get back ups reps without having to worry about winning or losing. As it is now, the best I have ever seen it handled is when Vance Jones played his back ups when he was one TD away from the mercy rule and his starters when he was 2 TD.

I love sixman, but hate that teams play less ball because of the mercy rule.
I agree with Tebow. If a team gets 45'ed and the coach wants to scrimmage his players, back up or not, with more reps against different competition why not after the game is called. Both coaches are attempting to do the same thing, win or lose, train the kids to be better players. Both teams are already there, the parents of kids who didn't get to play in the game are there, the lights are on, Frito pie at the concession stand, the cheerleaders still have some bounce to their step, and the bus hasn't left yet. The old adage of "That's Not How We do Things" shouldn't stop meaningful change. Change is very threatening to some fans. That kind of thinking is why many small high schools still only play basketball. Change can be a good thing too. The mercy rule only shows the competitive imbalance of that particular game.

A bigger problem is most coaches don't play their younger kids when they are up 35 or 40 points. I know of many teams that don't have a jv and still 45 opponents without letting everyone play. This should never happen.

Murdoch":1twx5v4n said:
Here's an idea. It's halftime or later and one team is ahead by 45. Game's over, right? How about if both teams want to keep playing for the kid's sake and the fan's sake. Turn off the scoreboard. Keep stats and play like normal. If the better teams wants to put in their subs and allow the other team to "catch up" it won't affect the outcome. Or if they want to keep their starters in and whip the other team's butt, it's their choice. It at least gives more kids a chance.

If it matters, which it probably doesn't, the teams can certainly agree to proceed as proposed. They still do it at some schools and call it a 5th quarter. However, once the game is officially over the game officials will leave, as they should. Their insurance will not cover any liability once the game is officially over. So you can certainly keep playing but "play like normal" will not necessarily be normal.

The way around school liability is to officially change the language of the mercy rule to incorporate the some of elements we have detailed in this thread. I would venture to guess that the inventor of the game rather than the UIL came up with it.

To the guy that mentioned the 5th quarter thing, (isn't that a dance?) It would be the 3rd quarter because we are only talking about after the mercy rule so sixman schools can play a full game.

Edward Golden":633awut7 said:
A bigger problem is most coaches don't play their younger kids when they are up 35 or 40 points. I know of many teams that don't have a jv and still 45 opponents without letting everyone play. This should never happen.

While I think you are right a lot of the time, sixman can change in a hurry. That's why I think you give the team 45 points ahead the win and worry about getting reps.

I've seen several times a team was up 30 and end up losing. Why risk that, why risk injuries? Teams that are getting whooped tend to start playing dirty...so yea let's put in our young guys to get hurt. 9 x out of 10 the other team isnt going to put in there other kids to play your younger. I think you need to just let coaches make the best decision about their teams and mind your own. Or how bout get a degree and apply for a coaching job.

Back