Calvert vs Richland?? Who saw the game?

BLUERIBBON

11-man fan
I am not bashing Calvert, I just wanted to give my opinion and that my friends ain't worth much!

Why did it look like Calvert had only been practicing a week? I mean how big is Calverts playbook, 3 plays?
I swear Calvert ran the same play (if you can call it a play) 90% of their plays. Spread formation, empty backfield, snap back to the Qb and everyone go deep! Certainly made it real easy to defend.

why would you take the run option away with a direct snap?
The kid playing qb was a big kid that had RS kids struggling really hard to get him down if they got a hold of him. If they had kept the run option available to the kid I think we would have seen a closer game because Calvert would have gotten some first downs and kept the RS offense off the field. Instead of 3 failed passes and punting like happened all night. Can anyone answer how many rushing attempts did Calvert have?

Some famous coach said something to the effect that he was so good that he could take his or your players and beat you with them. I think the same may apply here. If the RS coaches had coached the Calvert kids for 2 weeks I think Calvert may have won. Calvert had some size, speed and athlectic kids!

I like coaches, well most coaches and do not know the Calvert coaches. I do not know what their strategy was last Friday and not being the smartest individual I thought maybe someone that watched this game could enlighten me. Anybody that watched the game agree or disagree with my theories?
Again I don't want to come off like I am bashing Calvert.....maybe you guys were all young, I never got to see a program. If thats the case I wish you guys luck next season!

I saw the game. I was amazed that Calvert's QB was taking a direct snap. I agree that if he had been given the option to run, the game may have turned out differently.

I saw the same thing. They did not run not even once. Totally baffling. The score was 40-0 before they completed a pass for a first down. RS scores on first possession(and every possession except one) Calvert fumbles kickoff one play later its 16-0. Calvert goes three and out and RS scores again 24-0. Calvert goes three and out. RS scores. 32-0 Calvert three and out RS scores 40-0. All in the first quarter. Sure seemed like an awful lot of Calvert talent was under utilized.

Ok thanks guys for speaking out...I was rooting for the coyotes but would have like to see them pushed a little, they may need the work in 2 weeks granted they take care of business Friday.

Cohn, I enjoy your write ups, very creative way to give a game summary!

Thanks, I'm definitely not a journalist, just decided to try and make the same ol' blah, blah, blah stats a little more interesting. With these guys its still difficult for me to come up with another way to say "RS beats the crap out of another one".

The Drive for Five continues. Mentioned last year after the semi about the lack of competition at that level. How do they do it? More hours coaching? Conditioning? Practice? (all extra voluntary, dedication). It's all in the water they bring up from mills crossing..

RS fans hoping for a full game, HA that is funny. They will get a full game out of the next two games, both will be over at the half.

Blue Ribbon, Actually watched the last 3 Calvert games and I thought they had the most prolific passing game that I had seen in years. Receivers ran great routes, QB was extremely accurate. Calvert dominated Cherokee, and Gustine with their passing game. Size, didn't see any size on Calvert teams. they all weigh around 130, and plus they only dressed out 12 guys. thought they had the right game plan of getting those smaller guys out in space. Richland did a great job of taking the quick pass away, and getting pressure on their QB. # 3 IS A QUARTERBACK, AND NOT A SPREAD BACK. He's not a threat running ball, not because he wasn't given the run/pass option. Richland did a great job of jamming Calvert receivers up at the line of scrimmage. I personally thought Calvert could have thrown over the top all night. Richland played a tight bump/run style of defense that called for deep passes and crossing routes. Calvert receivers which all weigh about 130lbs couldn't get off the line. Calvert abandoned the running game after they lost #15, and #20 to knee injuries. Calvert had zero size, and their biggest player was #3 the QB, and he's still battling back from an ACL, injury. You go with what got you to the dance, and that's throwing the ball. Looked like they attempted to go deep, because they had no choice. Richland was just more physical and stronger at the point of attack. Calvert did not return any starters from 2010, and they have 11 of the 15 players returning next year. Young team that will get better. Don't think you can run the ball when you have A line weighing 130lbs, blocking for a backs they weigh a 130lbs, doesn't make since. You have to score vs a team like Richland and when your down 16 pts before your offense ever touches the ball, than ha that's tough. You play to win the game not to take a team passed half. 45'd is 45'd regardless of what quarter.

Calvert will be back. Pretty impressive to have a rebuilding year and advance as far as they did. Young team gained a lot of experience.......

Just for grins I wuz looking up the requirements for lettering in high school to see if Richland Springs and other powerhouse football teams meet the requirements. The last line says they do because Texas high school six-man football games last at least two quarters.

From Wikipedia:
The term comes from the practice of awarding each such participant a cloth "letter", which is usually the school's initial or initials, for placement on a "letter sweater" or "letter jacket" intended for the display of such an award. In some instances, the sweater or jacket itself may also be awarded, especially for the initial award to a given individual.

Traditionally the athletic letter is associated with elite athletes, though in the last few decades there has been movement to make the letter award more accessible to all students by removing performance requirements.

Today, in order to distinguish "lettermen" from other team participants, schools often establish a minimum level of participation in a team's events or a minimum level of performance in order for a letter to be awarded.

A common threshold in American football and basketball is participation in a set level, often half, of all quarters in a season.

Effie, I've seen Calvert play 3 times this year as well, and your 130 pound estimate is way off. I'd guess average player weight at 170+. Their QB weighs at least 200.

Cowboy I believe Effie needs glasses! lol

Heck Effie, take a look at the Calvert\RS pictures posted on this site and come back with a realistic weight guess.
Overall size wise Calvert was bigger than RS and may have had more speed. Ok so the passing game had been working all season did they stop and think what if someone stops our passing game we might need a plan B!

Have you ever watched basketball Effie? Have you ever heard of the 4 corner offense? Before shot clocks teams could run the 4 corner offense to slow the game down if they felt they were overmatched. Obviously the point is not to make it to the 4th quarter. In my opinion Calvert should have tried to control the ball and not get in a homerun hitting contest like they attempted. They could have tried to keep a low scoring game and hope RS made a few mistakes.

Effie, I will buy that they may have a young team but you can't convince me those boys averaged 130 lbs!

Trust me Calvert was no where near the size of Richland Springs. Calvert only had again, two guys that weighed over 170. #3, and #9. Just stating facts. Cowboyp if you would have said average size for Calvert was 135, I probably would have agreed. Bottom line was those guys were little. Richland was the biggest team that I have seen all year, # 8,11,13,7,42,20, and 21 all had great size. Plus I don't think you can combine Jonesboro, Calvert, and Newcastle together and beat Richland Springs.

Effie, Calvert played Aquilla in Aquilla. I ran chains for that game. That put me in very close proximity to those young men, and I even spoke to several of them. I can tell you, most of them are well beyond 130 pounds.

Trust me Calvert was no where near the size of Richland Springs. Calvert only had again, two guys that weighed over 170. #3, and #9. Just stating facts. Cowboyp if you would have said average size for Calvert was 135, I probably would have agreed. Bottom line was those guys were little. Richland was the biggest team that I have seen all year, # 8,11,13,7,42,20, and 21 all had great size. Plus I don't think you can combine Jonesboro, Calvert, and Newcastle together and beat Richland Springs.

#21 is 5ft 5 135 pounds from richland I dont recall that bein considered big.

Back