6 man History

Leman Saunders":p88nzziv said:
OBK...do you know if Maryneal ever played football? I believe they played basketball and baseball but don't think I have seen a football team photo or score...have you?

None at all. Didn't they merge with Highland?

hornkeeper12":26tbi59b said:
Leman Saunders":26tbi59b said:
All apologies to my buddies at Gordon...Panther Creek was a top team the whole decade start to finish, Gordon was really a top team from 1994-99...

But call it a tie and let the tie breaker be the head to head for the decade...Panther Creek beat Gordon 2 out of 3 times in the 90s...so I got to say still Panther Creek was team of the 1990s....plus they didn't need help from the refs to win a state title...o wait they did...but that was in 2000 so it doesn't count for this discussion...(tongue in cheek of course)

Ya I went there!
(this is where the Gordon Zupruder film is trotted out)
How about we call it a tie and let the overall record decide for the decade.
Or we could go with, hmmmmm, playoff appearances? 10 beats 8

"Panther Creek was a top team the whole decade start to finish"
1994? Panther Creek NOT a top team
1991? Panther Creek NOT a top team

Gordon actually had to beat good teams to get out of their district. Panther Creek had Blackwell.

PC had to contend with Christoval for the first 4 years before they went 11 man. Christoval was ranked 9th with 65 points for only 4 years in 6 man, Strawn was 26th with 26 points for the whole decade

coachjdjones":39ashvxw said:
Did Barnhart ever play football?

If they did, they never reported any scores. I know they never played 6 man. I saw lots of basketball scores. My mom played volleyball against them too back in the 50's and I have seen basketball scores that had Barnhart listed.

I know the kids at Sagerton go to Rule now. is that who they merged with? Also, what about a conference for schools that don't play football anymore, but still have schools? Maybe even one for schools unlucky enough to stay 6-man and have to settle for 11-man now?

I have seen an article or 2 I think from the San Angelo Standard Times from the early 1930s that mentioned Barnhart playing football but I did not find any scores...I was researching Sherwood which did play football and I think they were mentioned as being an upcoming game for Sherwood.

But that was before 6man was even invented.

sinfonian":2h437sij said:
I know the kids at Sagerton go to Rule now. is that who they merged with? Also, what about a conference for schools that don't play football anymore, but still have schools? Maybe even one for schools unlucky enough to stay 6-man and have to settle for 11-man now?

That would be the Wussie Commie Pinko Conference. Charter members Lipan and Martin's Mill.

Leman Saunders":2c0gc7r3 said:
I have seen an article or 2 I think from the San Angelo Standard Times from the early 1930s that mentioned Barnhart playing football but I did not find any scores...I was researching Sherwood which did play football and I think they were mentioned as being an upcoming game for Sherwood.

But that was before 6man was even invented.

Scores from the rural schools in the 1920's and 1930's are hard to find in any paper.

I ran across a little tidbit in the 9/239/1957 Avalanche-Journal. It seemd that Sierra Blanca had their football season suspended by the UIL along with Haskell and Eustace for mistreatment of referees by both spectators and coaches.

I know the following schools no longer have high schools, but do have Elementary or Junior highs. How many of them used to play football? Bluff Dale (Plays 6-man), Coupland (plays 6-man), Damon (plays 6-man), Devers, Dew, Divide, Doss, Driscoll (plays 6-man), Etoile, Excelsior, Ezzell (plays flag), Garner, Gause (plays 6-man), Harts Bluff, Hallsburg, Hubbard (In Bowie County), Hunt, Kenedy County Wide, La Gloria, Leary, Malone (plays 6-man), Malta, Matagorda (plays flag), McDade (plays 6-man), Meyersville (plays flag), Montague, Morgan Mill (plays 6-man), Murchison, Nursery, Olfen (plays 6-man), Palo Pinto, Pawnee, Pringle-Morse, Ramirez, Red Lick, Ricardo, San Vicente, Sivells Bend, Spring Creek, Sweet Home (Plays flag), Texhoma, Three Way, Vysehrad (plays flag), Walcott, Westhoff (plays flag), Westphalia (plays 6-man), Wildorado, Winfield

sinfonian":2qvxzu1r said:
I know the following schools no longer have high schools, but do have Elementary or Junior highs. How many of them used to play football? Bluff Dale (Plays 6-man), Coupland (plays 6-man), Damon (plays 6-man), Devers, Dew, Divide, Doss, Driscoll (plays 6-man), Etoile, Excelsior, Ezzell (plays flag), Garner, Gause (plays 6-man), Harts Bluff, Hallsburg, Hubbard (In Bowie County), Hunt, Kenedy County Wide, La Gloria, Leary, Malone (plays 6-man), Malta, Matagorda (plays flag), McDade (plays 6-man), Meyersville (plays flag), Montague, Morgan Mill (plays 6-man), Murchison, Nursery, Olfen (plays 6-man), Palo Pinto, Pawnee, Pringle-Morse, Ramirez, Red Lick, Ricardo, San Vicente, Sivells Bend, Spring Creek, Sweet Home (Plays flag), Texhoma, Three Way, Vysehrad (plays flag), Walcott, Westhoff (plays flag), Westphalia (plays 6-man), Wildorado, Winfield
I don't know about all of them, but Bluff Dale, Morgan Mill both have JH and play 6 man. Three way & Garner has JH, not sure what football or if they play. Palo Pinto stops at 6th grade.

Back in the day, Damon, Devers, and Coupland played High School 6 man too. I know Pringle played 6 man for a couple of years and Morse played 6 and 8 man.

Where do the kids from P-M go to high school?

hornkeeper12":2z9nh5r6 said:
I don't know about all of them, but Bluff Dale, Morgan Mill both have JH and play 6 man. Three way & Garner has JH, not sure what football or if they play. Palo Pinto stops at 6th grade.

My daughter-in-law has little brother who plays JH football for Morgan Mill.

One Day Bearkat this information on six man football will be a collector items. That is so extensive research. The College Kids need to get a look at all this research.

Wow RJ we would pass by Morgan Mill but changed directions when my parents moved. Mom and Dad got Jerry into 6 man football. He was Quarterback at Carter Riverside. he played 11 man. After seeing how 6 man football was played that's all it took. 6 man football be is the best sport in the athletic world. I love the game, the fans, and people I've met on this board. I appreciate all of you and I know Jerry does too. Your the best thing that ever happened to Grangers Board. All of you are so very smart. YOU KNOW THE GAME!!!! Your the best part to me!!!!

MelaniB":1j59dkyv said:
RJ your son and daughter in law are close to us. Do they go watch the games.

They don't get to see many games. My son is in the Air Force and stationed outside London England. My D-inlaw came over few a few weeks ago to see her brother play.

MelaniB":3np1dfvx said:
One Day Bearkat this information on six man football will be a collector items. That is so extensive research. The College Kids need to get a look at all this research.
I know a couple of college kids that have used this thread for papers and speeches.

Back