UIL State Executive Committee to Meet (Richland Springs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 16th District Executive Committee in this case are jealous snitches. Cherokee and Rochelle have not defeated Richland Springs since the Carter adminoistration.
That’s a big stretch. Pretty sure Cherokee had a lock on sixman during the Carter era. I know from experience (yep I’m that old) that the Reagan era was not RS friendly. According to the archives on this site the 90’s were not bad but nothing to write home about. Seems it’s only been since 2000 ish that RS started turning heads and winning big. Which could raise the question when did JB start at RS
The 16th District Executive Committee in this case are jealous snitches. Cherokee and Rochelle have not defeated Richland Springs since the Carter adminoistration.

That’s a big stretch. Pretty sure Cherokee had a lock on sixman during the Carter era. I know from experience (yep I’m that old) that the Reagan era was not RS friendly. According to the archives on this site the 90’s were not bad but nothing to write home about. Seems it’s only been since 2000 ish that RS started turning heads and winning big. Which could raise the question when did JB start at RS
Saying the Carter Administation was a crude satire.

But it wasn’t. JB said he talked with the kid on that 14 min phone call. Apparently every other coach in the state of Texas knows better.
Negative. There are many other people in years past who reach out to coaches. I myself have. Yes I wasn’t going anywhere but no coach has ever hung up on a student. Most coaches are mentors and are well respected and a lot of students reach out for help/advice etc. The student told his coach he wanted to go to a winning school prior to reaching out to my Dad. There are a lot of teams around the area who win more than Mullin. Williamson immediately speculated and accused my Dad of recruiting “his athletes” via text message. Which my dad responded that he had no idea what he was talking about. Williamson sent that 4 days before the student even reached out. So already there was speculation. Wether you want to believe what was truly said or not, the kid was in a depressed state, as stated by his mom in her testimony. The Student didn’t know who to talk to as his parents were fighting about this at home. As stated at the UIL hearing, his gf mom told him to reach out to Coach Burkhart and he might be able to help you out with your situation. Dad listened to the student and told the kid at the end he couldn’t move for athletic purposes. My brother who is in the car with my dad said you could hear the student crying as he was explaining all that was going on and his past at Mullin. Either way you will believe what you want but there are numerous of students current and past that have reached out. Unfortunately it doesn’t look good that the kid chose Richland only because Richland is successful. If he went anywhere else this wouldn’t be a topic.

Negative. There are many other people in years past who reach out to coaches. I myself have. Yes I wasn’t going anywhere but no coach has ever hung up on a student. Most coaches are mentors and are well respected and a lot of students reach out for help/advice etc. The student told his coach he wanted to go to a winning school prior to reaching out to my Dad. There are a lot of teams around the area who win more than Mullin. Williamson immediately speculated and accused my Dad of recruiting “his athletes” via text message. Which my dad responded that he had no idea what he was talking about. Williamson sent that 4 days before the student even reached out. So already there was speculation. Wether you want to believe what was truly said or not, the kid was in a depressed state, as stated by his mom in her testimony. The Student didn’t know who to talk to as his parents were fighting about this at home. As stated at the UIL hearing, his gf mom told him to reach out to Coach Burkhart and he might be able to help you out with your situation. Dad listened to the student and told the kid at the end he couldn’t move for athletic purposes. My brother who is in the car with my dad said you could hear the student crying as he was explaining all that was going on and his past at Mullin. Either way you will believe what you want but there are numerous of students current and past that have reached out. Unfortunately it doesn’t look good that the kid chose Richland only because Richland is successful. If he went anywhere else this wouldn’t be a topic.
😎😎😎😎😎😎😎

Reaching out to a coach that you don’t know for advice doesn’t make sense? The conversation was about coming to RS.That’s why he said you can’t come for athletic purposes. Which means, athletics was at least a major reason for the call. Why not reach out to his Rodger’s he knows him. Even if motive can be proven and I hope they were pure, it’s still against the rules. And yes if he would have went anywhere else this would not have happened because once contact with RS was made before enrollment, RS was in a position of recruitment.
RS should have said no the transfer.

After reading some of this thread and trying again to hear pieces of the meeting, my perspective remains unchanged. Seriously impacting or ruining a man's career because the committee "has a hunch" or feels funny about a 14 minute call is irresponsible and wrong. You would not want to be judged on circumstantial things like that either.

Regarding the PAPF change ... my understanding is that Burkhart did not commit that wrong (and it is wrong). The father did. So, how can JB be held accountable for that?

I will agree that a 14 minute call looks funny. I will go as far as saying that I think JB likely talked about football since that is his specialty. Did it reach the point of recruiting? I can't answer that. Nobody can with any certainty. Therefore, I would not ruin a man's career without something more solid.

All that said, what I think and what you think is totally irrelevant. Decision is made. Judgment is passed. Punishment has been meeted out. I hope that those of you that love to beat this dead horse regularly can find some peace and move on to more fruitful discussions.

Reaching out to a coach that you don’t know for advice doesn’t make sense? The conversation was about coming to RS.That’s why he said you can’t come for athletic purposes. Which means, athletics was at least a major reason for the call. Why not reach out to his Rodger’s he knows him. Even if motive can be proven and I hope they were pure, it’s still against the rules. And yes if he would have went anywhere else this would not have happened because once contact with RS was made before enrollment, RS was in a position of recruitment.
RS should have said no the transfer.
Just like I said, he listened to what his GF’s mom told him. And everyone knows my dad in this area. So what if he didn’t know him personally? Obviously he believed what his Gf’s mom said.

I hate to say it, but "the sky is not falling!" What is done, is done. Apparently RS has some good coaches that will do their jobs and RS will continue to play and have success. Everyone is replaceable, even the so-called great ones. Sixman football will continue regardless who is at the helm of any six man program. We are all replaceable!

Rules, ethics, and Texas Teaching Standards are really difficult for some of yall, and it shows. It is improper for a student to call a coach that is not their own. Full stop. It is against the rules. And I understand that in small town America, especially in the six-man community, coaches are mentors and wear many different hats. The catch is, following the rules and not putting yourself in a position that you will be forced to defend your self. In Texas, the burden of proof falls on the accused. Teachers are held to that standard. Anyone can make a claim, and it is up to the accused to prove their innocence.

Technically, teachers and coaches are not supposed to have any contact with their students outside of approved, district-monitored means. Including social media. Are you supposed to accept a friend request on Facebook from one of you students? The answer is no. Are you supposed to engage with them in a messaging app for group conversations? The answer is no, unless it is used by the district and can be monitored. The reason is so that everything is out in the open so that you can assert nothing improper happened and administrators have access to the communications.

"Electronic communication" means any communication facilitated by the use of any electronic device, including a telephone, cellular telephone, computer, computer network, personal data assistant, or pager. The term includes emails, text messages, instant messages, and any communications made through a website, including a social media website or a social networking website.

Most school districts adopt a written policy concerning electronic communications between a school employee and a student enrolled in the district.

The policy adopted under this section must:

Include provisions designed to prevent improper electronic communications between a school employee and a student;
- Allow a school employee to elect to not disclose to students the employee's personal telephone number or email address; and
- Include provisions instructing a school employee about the proper method for notifying appropriate local administrators about an incident in - which a student engages in improper communications with the school employee.

These are based on:

Standard 3.8.
The educator shall maintain appropriate professional educator-student relationships and boundaries based on a reasonably prudent educator standard.

Standard 3.9.
The educator shall refrain from inappropriate communication with a student or minor, including, but not limited to, electronic communication such as cell phone, text messaging, email, instant messaging, blogging, or other social network communication. Factors that may be considered in assessing whether the communication is inappropriate include, but are not limited to:

the nature, purpose, timing, and amount of the communication;
the subject matter of the communication;
whether the communication was made openly or the educator attempted to conceal the communication;
whether the communication could be reasonably interpreted as soliciting sexual contact or a romantic relationship;
whether the communication was sexually explicit; and
whether the communication involved discussion(s) of the physical or sexual attractiveness or the sexual history, activities, preferences, or fantasies of either the educator or the student.

The UIL... bases its policies on a blend of teaching standards and general rules for sports and activities that have been voted on and agreed to. Why would the UIL have a different communication policy? That makes no sense.

You can be a great coach. You can be a great human being and still fall when you don't adhere to the policies, standards, and rules. People slamming the UIL are ignorant of their purpose, and their duty but they are also forgetting that JB had clear operating procedures that he failed to abide by. It can happen to anyone and it is a good reminder for everyone not to get complacent.

Only thing I have a hard time processing is how unfairly Coach Burkhart was treated. And the idiots who comprise the UIL State Executive Board. Watch the video of the hearing. It really doesn't matter to me who wins next month. The game that will really count will be their match-up in the playoffs. Richland Springs has the home field advantage though and better talent. If Richland can vastly improve their kicking game (PATs), they will win. And their is an intangible at play. The injustice towards Burkhart has the Yotes fired up. The Cherokee High superintendent, Rochelle High superintendent, and the UIL State Executive Committee (the culprits behind Coach Burkhart's suspension) have filled the Coyotes "with a terrible resolve". It will definitely be an extremely hard-hitting game. 2021 All-State defensive player Keston Lusty will live up to his moniker "The Beast".
So when JB found out kids broke rules or did something they knew better than to do…..do you think he blamed himself for their punishment? I’m pretty sure he thought accountability and responsibility for your actions. He was not unfairly punished, he was held accountable for making poor decisions that violated the rules that he has agreed to abide by.

Rules, ethics, and Texas Teaching Standards are really difficult for some of yall, and it shows. It is improper for a student to call a coach that is not their own. Full stop. It is against the rules. And I understand that in small town America, especially in the six-man community, coaches are mentors and wear many different hats. The catch is, following the rules and not putting yourself in a position that you will be forced to defend your self. In Texas, the burden of proof falls on the accused. Teachers are held to that standard. Anyone can make a claim, and it is up to the accused to prove their innocence.

Technically, teachers and coaches are not supposed to have any contact with their students outside of approved, district-monitored means. Including social media. Are you supposed to accept a friend request on Facebook from one of you students? The answer is no. Are you supposed to engage with them in a messaging app for group conversations? The answer is no, unless it is used by the district and can be monitored. The reason is so that everything is out in the open so that you can assert nothing improper happened and administrators have access to the communications.

"Electronic communication" means any communication facilitated by the use of any electronic device, including a telephone, cellular telephone, computer, computer network, personal data assistant, or pager. The term includes emails, text messages, instant messages, and any communications made through a website, including a social media website or a social networking website.

Most school districts adopt a written policy concerning electronic communications between a school employee and a student enrolled in the district.

Include provisions designed to prevent improper electronic communications between a school employee and a student;
- Allow a school employee to elect to not disclose to students the employee's personal telephone number or email address; and
- Include provisions instructing a school employee about the proper method for notifying appropriate local administrators about an incident in - which a student engages in improper communications with the school employee.

These are based on:

Standard 3.8.
The educator shall maintain appropriate professional educator-student relationships and boundaries based on a reasonably prudent educator standard.

Standard 3.9.
The educator shall refrain from inappropriate communication with a student or minor, including, but not limited to, electronic communication such as cell phone, text messaging, email, instant messaging, blogging, or other social network communication. Factors that may be considered in assessing whether the communication is inappropriate include, but are not limited to:

whether the communication was made openly or the educator attempted to conceal the communication;
whether the communication could be reasonably interpreted as soliciting sexual contact or a romantic relationship;
whether the communication involved discussion(s) of the physical or sexual attractiveness or the sexual history, activities, preferences, or fantasies of either the educator or the student.

The UIL... bases its policies on a blend of teaching standards and general rules for sports and activities that have been voted on and agreed to. Why would the UIL have a different communication policy? That makes no sense.

You can be a great coach. You can be a great human being and still fall when you don't adhere to the policies, standards, and rules. People slamming the UIL are ignorant of their purpose, and their duty but they are also forgetting that JB had clear operating procedures that he failed to abide by. It can happen to anyone and it is a good reminder for everyone not to get complacent.
YEA

These are based on:

Standard 3.8.

Standard 3.9.

I don’t understand why this is so hard for some to understand. this is talking about the students at his own school not even mentioning the fact this kid was at a rival school and then transferred 4 days later. UNACCEPTABLE.

It doesn't matter whether the call was 14 seconds or 14 minutes, the call was not transcripted or record. Were you their? Was the DEC there? Was the SEC there ? I didn't think so. All heresay. No concrete evidence whatsoever. "Telling" him to get of the phone was none of their business.
He is not allowed to speak to a student athlete before transferring or any other time. Idc what was discussed and neither does anyone else.

I have a question. If this has been answered in another thread I apologize. What will happen to the student, his eligibility, and what is he classified as now? After reading the thread about the Richland Springs situation I just got to wondering what impact it would have on the player. Seems like he might've sat a year of eligibility from varsity now anyhow, but I would hope it doesn't have an impact on future years if he is younger and does want to compete in anything UIL based you know. Thanks for the site and the hard work. JENSON GAINER
I’m not sure if you are broadcasting anymore but I liked your brand

I hate to say it, but "the sky is not falling!" What is done, is done. Apparently RS has some good coaches that will do their jobs and RS will continue to play and have success. Everyone is replaceable, even the so-called great ones. Sixman football will continue regardless who is at the helm of any six man program. We are all replaceable!
I

These are based on:

Standard 3.8.

Standard 3.9.

These are based on:

Standard 3.8.

Standard 3.9.

And that is why track meets are the most dangerous places for coaches to be. Easily someone could record a coach talking to a kid from a different school out on the field. Having being a coach’s son and coaching with my dad a few years back a lot of kids come up and talk. For example, district track meet in 2021, Cherokee Senior athlete Arkansas came up to my Dad and I. My dad asked him what his plans after high school were and then they started talking about how he was leading the hurdle times in 1A. Dad told him to keep up the work and stay humble. (Of course coach White did a good job and Arkansas won state.) Now based off of what I just told you, you would say that’s harmless. Some might disagree. But now let me tell you the other part. Cherokees RB who was a Junior that year who graduated last year was also standing there with Arkansas when he approached my Dad. Whoa, that throws a huge red flag now. Someone could have easily recorded my Dad, myself, Arkansas and the junior athlete and speculated what was being said. We wouldn’t be able to prove it right? This happens all the time at every track meet. Harmless conversations between Athlete and coaches. In HS I had a mentor coach for Track. Coach Martin at Priddy. Who was at Cherokee at that time. He helped me with my 400 time he talked to me every chance I saw him. Still to this day when he sees me he gives me a hug and asks how I am. To say that this is illegal is ridiculous. Just my opinion.

After reading some of this thread and trying again to hear pieces of the meeting, my perspective remains unchanged. Seriously impacting or ruining a man's career because the committee "has a hunch" or feels funny about a 14 minute call is irresponsible and wrong. You would not want to be judged on circumstantial things like that either.

Regarding the PAPF change ... my understanding is that Burkhart did not commit that wrong (and it is wrong). The father did. So, how can JB be held accountable for that?

I will agree that a 14 minute call looks funny. I will go as far as saying that I think JB likely talked about football since that is his specialty. Did it reach the point of recruiting? I can't answer that. Nobody can with any certainty. Therefore, I would not ruin a man's career without something more solid.

All that said, what I think and what you think is totally irrelevant. Decision is made. Judgment is passed. Punishment has been meeted out. I hope that those of you that love to beat this dead horse regularly can find some peace and move on to more fruitful discussions.
JB turned in the form and knew he had multiple conversations before the kid moved. He knew the form was wrong.

I

And that is why track meets are the most dangerous places for coaches to be. Easily someone could record a coach talking to a kid from a different school out on the field. Having being a coach’s son and coaching with my dad a few years back a lot of kids come up and talk. For example, district track meet in 2021, Cherokee Senior athlete Arkansas came up to my Dad and I. My dad asked him what his plans after high school were and then they started talking about how he was leading the hurdle times in 1A. Dad told him to keep up the work and stay humble. (Of course coach White did a good job and Arkansas won state.) Now based off of what I just told you, you would say that’s harmless. Some might disagree. But now let me tell you the other part. Cherokees RB who was a Junior that year who graduated last year was also standing there with Arkansas when he approached my Dad. Whoa, that throws a huge red flag now. Someone could have easily recorded my Dad, myself, Arkansas and the junior athlete and speculated what was being said. We wouldn’t be able to prove it right? This happens all the time at every track meet. Harmless conversations between Athlete and coaches. In HS I had a mentor coach for Track. Coach Martin at Priddy. Who was at Cherokee at that time. He helped me with my 400 time he talked to me every chance I saw him. Still to this day when he sees me he gives me a hug and asks how I am. To say that this is illegal is ridiculous. Just my opinion.
Had that kid if transferred 4 days later then yes speculation would have been made. If On his form your dad submitted it saying no contact was made knowing he just spoke to him 4 days before then yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back