UIL State Executive Committee to Meet (Richland Springs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the meeting. Hard to hear everything that was said, but there was a unanimous guilty vote for Coach Burkhart and he was issued a 3 year suspension. RS received a public reprimand and will be on probation for the next 3 years. The committee discussed a playoff ban, but decided against it. Looks like this is the end for Burkhart.
Burhart shall return.

We have to be careful. Apparently threats of being sued for slander is being thrown around all over the place.

All over the place? Where? Lol

Regardless, don’t slander and there’s nothing to worry about. Right? Is it really that hard to tell the the truth? Opinions are fine. Just present them as opinions not fact. In other words, don’t lie. Seems easy to me.

Can that be proved without transcript or recording ?
Don’t have to be proved. Common sense, which obviously this whole case proves there was none of that ever used, should’ve kept him out of trouble. Play with fire, get burned. Don’t look both ways before crossing the street, get hit by a bus with the letters UIL on the side. It’s so simple.

So I know this would be different but if a educator was accused of having inappropriate conversations with a student and the students own parents presented a phone bill with multiple conversations with one being 14 mins long would y’all all be screaming he is innocent? Would that be enough proof that he should of not had 14 mins of things to say for any reason at all? Would y’all be demanding transcripts? Even though I for one would love for JB to get a lawyer and get the transcripts from his phone call and produce them. I’m just curious would everyone say the educator was probably just talking to the student about life it’s ok? Heck no y’all would say he had no business on the phone that long it’s just wrong and a bad look. That’s what this case is, he knew better with the call he just did not think anyone would produce phone records because that would mean one of the kids parents had to sell out the kid, which is what happened. Then add in that he said and lied about the papf form another big mistake. He did not misunderstand the question on the form, he’s been doing this a long time but he had just lost the Hayes kid and knew he wanted the Shelton kid eligible so they had to make no to that question. This is not a witch hunt it’s a matter of right and wrong and honesty and integrity. Roast me if you want too

This is not a criminal case. The US Constitution doesn’t apply. The UIL rules, code of conduct, and ethical responsibilities of coaches does apply. It was unethical for JB to talk to another athlete in the manner that he did. It’s not allowed. Been coaching for 20+ years. He knows better.
RS should be grateful that they still have a season. It should have been worse.
While the United States Constitution still applies, you are correct that the rules are different for civil cases than criminal cases. For instance, a person can be forced to self-incriminate during a civil case. Also the burden of proofs shifts from "beyond a reasonable doubt" to "more likely than not."

That said, I do think Jerry could try to appeal the decision of an agency [in this case the UIL] to federal district Court. Yes, you can do that per administrative code; basically, this appeals process embeds administrative actions within the framework of the US Constitution.

Although it would be a longshot, Jerry might prevail if he has nothing to hide. There is this little thing called Discovery, however, that happens in big boy court. With the government as the opposing party, those phone conversations might be heard by all of us. I am not 100% sure Jerry wants that.

Either way, I still do not like all the crap talk about Burkhart. He has kept us entertained on this site for years, instills hard work and a moral code in his players, and wins more than most coaches. If this is the "worst thing" Jerry has ever done, I think God has a pearly white uniform for Jerry Burkhart. I wish him the best as a relator and hope he comes back in 3 years.

This is a huge mess. Two lives affected overall. I believe this will open the floodgates for other schools to snitch on one another with some questionable evidence. What happened here is unfortunate and tarnishes the UIL. If anything there should have been a independent investigation if consideration of dropping the hammer on a coach.

This is a huge mess. Two lives affected overall. I believe this will open the floodgates for other schools to snitch on one another with some questionable evidence. What happened here is unfortunate and tarnishes the UIL. If anything there should have been a independent investigation if consideration of dropping the hammer on a coach.
Snitch?!? Or, accountability. You can’t preach accountability as a coach, and not expect to be held accountable as well.

I just saw with my own eyes.... Richland is selling "I stand with Jerry Burkhart shirts". I'm done folks :ROFLMAO:
Ok, in all deference to RS, they've got a coach that has led them to multiple state titles. And as a small rural community, you stand by your people. They all didn't ask about how (as I'm sure by this point they just assume it's that way every where), they just appreciated the product. It's gonna take a while, probably about 3 years, for the community to peel back the layers. When you're winning, everybody looks the other way, once the shiny veneer is peeled back, all the skeletons come out of the closet. He still lives in the community and everybody has to see everybody all the time. And guess what, in 6 months, everywhere except for on this message board, nobody will even remember this.

Unless the school has a t-shirt maker in the home ec department, I don't think ANY school makes t-shirts. They're all made by an outside person......

Ok ... let me rephrase. The school is not selling them / having them made. It is a private sale. Fair enough, no issue there. He / she can probably make one for Maury too, showing off the two Milford trophies from 1979 and 1980. Could add a Bee Gees theme to it since they were popular back then. lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back