UIL State Executive Committee to Meet (Richland Springs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I read the coach at Mullin documented his conversations with the player and with his parents as things transpired so his documented deposition would be considered factual. Not hearsay. The phone records provided proof of said contact with JB. Yes the UIL had no idea what was discussed between the student and JB but that is how they roll. Doesn't help that the student in question is a talented quarterback, instead of an inspired bench warmer. Also the matter the student would need a wavier to attend RS from Mullin. Parents didn't move?

Mr. Longhorn ... long time no talk.

Not sure why you quoted my question in your response. Slightly out of context. However, I can answer your question with the limited knowledge I have. My understanding is that parents did not move. What I have read and heard from folks around here was that the kid 1) wanted to play for a winning team. 2) He wanted to be closer to his girlfriend and 3) he indicated that there were other non-athletic opportunities at RSISD that he could not get at Mullin (welding).

All of this is hearsay to me (or from sources that may or may not be reliable). I cannot vouch for any of it. Item #1 is problematic obviously ... if true. As for JB's role in it ... well that is now official isn't it? It has been ruled on by the powers that be.

Richland Springs does not have to follow the UIL decision. They can declared themselves to be an outlaw/independent, keep JB and continue to play private schools for their schedule and compete for the Independent Bowl at the end of the season. Of course that wipes out all their participation in other UIL activities such as the One Act Play.

Richland Springs does not have to follow the UIL decision. They can declared themselves to be an outlaw/independent, keep JB and continue to play private schools for their schedule and compete for the Independent Bowl at the end of the season. Of course that wipes out all their participation in other UIL activities such as the One Act Play.

I doubt they will go that route.

As someone alluded to earlier in this thread ... I am going to laugh my ass off if JB ends up in Strawn some day. lol. Beers are on you when that happens.

I have been reading a lot "stuff" that is not germane to the ruling. I am thinking that JB remaining as the AD might be taking some real chances with the probation of RS. If anyone sees him in the press box, talking to the coaches during practice or at a game, doing his job of AD, like getting the officials and paying said officials after a ball game. It wouldn't take much to get turned in again to the UIL that would make the whole situation a lot worse in a hurry. Evan if he resigns and does real estate full time, but hangs out in the press box or with the coaches on the field, it could amount to the same thing. My 2 cents for what it is worth.

My thoughts on the rulings today:

1. As I thought, the UIL denied the athlete's appeal and they did change the DEC suspension from 2 years to just 1 year. Small victory for the athlete there.

2. I thought they would uphold the recruiting violation BUT I didn't expect coach Burkhart to get a 3 year suspension. I think he will still have enough strong support in Richland Springs to be offered the job back at the end of the 3 years if he wants it.

3. I was surprised UIL just gave the program probation and I think a lot of people were. So if you are RS while it is not what you want, it is a lot better than not being able to participate in the playoffs...silver lining for the RS faithful.

As this effects the current season I think Richland Springs is still a major contender as always, coach Rogers and Ethridge will be able to guide the team without Burkhart I think and this ordeal might actually make the team stronger as I suspect they will use this as a rallying cry this year...but RS folks would be able to comment on that better than I would...just my thoughts on it today.

Also the audio for the hearing was terrible and made it mostly unwatchable for me as I couldn't make out 70% of what was said

Only Biden and the democrats have those recordings!

My thoughts on the rulings today:

1. As I thought, the UIL denied the athlete's appeal and they did change the DEC suspension from 2 years to just 1 year. Small victory for the athlete there.

2. I thought they would uphold the recruiting violation BUT I didn't expect coach Burkhart to get a 3 year suspension. I think he will still have enough strong support in Richland Springs to be offered the job back at the end of the 3 years if he wants it.

3. I was surprised UIL just gave the program probation and I think a lot of people were. So if you are RS while it is not what you want, it is a lot better than not being able to participate in the playoffs...silver lining for the RS faithful.

As this effects the current season I think Richland Springs is still a major contender as always, coach Rogers and Ethridge will be able to guide the team without Burkhart I think and this ordeal might actually make the team stronger as I suspect they will use this as a rallying cry this year...but RS folks would be able to comment on that better than I would...just my thoughts on it today.
I agree. I believe the D16EC & UIL SEC have filled the Yotes "with a terrible resolve". As for me, I am increasing my donations to the Richland Springs Booster Club.

The rumors I’ve heard about RS over the years are ridiculous. Normally I can roll my eyes and laugh it off because I know better. Like UIL stated, winning programs don’t have to recruit. They recruit themselves. People want to go where winning programs are. Most schools are going to hire a coach with athletic kids over a coach with no kids. We all know this. This isn’t recruiting. The hate for RS because they are a six man powerhouse is out of control. Richland will ALWAYS have a winning program. It’s in their blood. No worries, they will be fine.

As far as the 14-minute phone call, I don’t know; I wasn’t there. Neither were any of you. I know it doesn’t look right; but I honestly believe it was nothing inappropriate. That’s not “his way.”

I can speak from first-hand experience about “his way”. With him, it’s not just about football and winning games. My kid wasn’t “home grown” but was treated as such. My kid didn’t even play sports but JB made them feel like they were the most important kid at that school. He made them feel like they were part of the Coyote family since the first day they set foot on campus. He included them in everything and even though not part of the team, they felt like it. He’s a true man of God. He has instilled great things in our kiddos for years. He doesn’t just talk the talk, he walks the walk. Quit believing the rumors and gossip about him. If you know him, you know what kind of guy he is and how loved he is. If you don’t, sit down.
Well said. I was at the meeting (or Kangaroo Court as I call it)). The SEC alluded repeatedly to the 14 minute phone call. I still contend that this was a bondafide witch hunt. In a real court of law, basing a ruling on a phone conversation, without transcription or recording is baseless. All heresay. To the DEC & SEC, perception appears to be reality. A defense attorney bound by the U.S. Constitution would have torn the SEC to shreds. Unfortunately, the DEC is only bound by their own Constitution. They are the Supreme Court of the UIL. Accountable to no one.

Well said. I was at the meeting (or Kangaroo Court as I call it)). The SEC alluded repeatedly to the 14 minute phone call. I still contend that this was a bondafide witch hunt. In a real court of law, basing a ruling on a phone conversation, without transcription or recording is baseless. All heresay. To the DEC & SEC, perception appears to be reality. A defense attorney bound by the U.S. Constitution would have torn the SEC to shreds. Unfortunately, the DEC is only bound by their own Constitution. They are the Supreme Court of the UIL. Accountable to no one.
Correction. The SEC is bound by the UIL's Constitution. And as we all know, a Constitution is always open to interpretation adjudicated by the Supreme Court.

From what I read the coach at Mullin documented his conversations with the player and with his parents as things transpired so his documented deposition would be considered factual. Not hearsay. The phone records provided proof of said contact with JB. Yes the UIL had no idea what was discussed between the student and JB but that is how they roll. Doesn't help that the student in question is a talented quarterback, instead of an inspired bench warmer. Also the matter the student would need a wavier to attend RS from Mullin. Parents didn't move?
But documenting conversations can be subjective if not verbatim.

Sooooo…..it takes 14 minutes to tell a kid, “I’m sorry, I can’t discuss this with you. If you come here and your coach checks you moved for athletic purposes, you will have to play jv in every sport for a full year.”
Can that be proved without transcript or recording ?

This is not a criminal case. The US Constitution doesn’t apply. The UIL rules, code of conduct, and ethical responsibilities of coaches does apply. It was unethical for JB to talk to another athlete in the manner that he did. It’s not allowed. Been coaching for 20+ years. He knows better.
RS should be grateful that they still have a season. It should have been worse.

This is not a criminal case. The US Constitution doesn’t apply. The UIL rules, code of conduct, and ethical responsibilities of coaches does apply. It was unethical for JB to talk to another athlete in the manner that he did. It’s not allowed. Been coaching for 20+ years. He knows better.
RS should be grateful that they still have a season. It should have been worse.
Correct. I’m glad some people in this thread have some sense.

If the UIL wanted to make an example out of Richland Springs for recruiting, they failed miserably. That being said, 2 kids could've died in a rollover yesterday, one of those kids was Grayson Rigdon, the other his girlfriend. Integrity and honesty is a very crucial part of the 6man game and yes the Richland Springs drama is worthy of comments recieved, but what really matters is we dont have to hear about the funeral(s) of kids that couldve very well happened.
To me, the bottom line is this ... it's only a game. A form of entertainment. Safety foremost, student development on and off the field, and then sportsmanship. 100 years from now, who in the hell will remember or care who beat who ? When I'm in Heaven eating fried chicken with Moses, sports of any kind will be the last thing on my mind. In Heaven, we are all be winners. And by the way ... John 3:16.

What's your thoughts on the Claude boys who transferred to white deer last year? Was that recruiting?
We have never had a transfer from Claude since I have lived here going on 20 years. If I am missing one I can guarantee & provide proof that they have never played Varsity. Please prove me wrong.

We have to be careful. Apparently threats of being sued for slander is being thrown around all over the place.
Can’t be sued for making factual statements. When it comes down to it, I’m glad the kids get to come out and still have a season. I don’t think kids should have to pay the consequences of adults who should know better mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back