UIL State Exec Committee to Meet on Rankin

I can’t believe this. If you don’t think Burkhart moved for athletic reasons, then you don’t know him. UIL called him on it. Good job!

So I watched the entire hearing.. here is the link

https://www.nfhsnetwork.com/events/uil/evt1f7d7a08db

Starts at the 3:27:00 mark

I have to say, this seemed more like an inquisition on Jerry's moves and less like the best interest of Landon and his ability to be eligible to play. The PAPF and any check box in section 3, is hard to get past. The DEC decided not to rule during football season, so it went to the state. The State seemed to think that the DEC ruled unanimously against the approval in the first place. Did not understand that there was no rule made, and this was moving forward from football to basketball. I am not a fan of transfers for athletic purposes.. but I don't see this being one. I mean Jerry is a coach, so any move he makes is for athletic purposes in the end, but he made this decision thinking about the best interest of his child. As one of the SUPs even stated.. if it were for athletic purposes... he would have been better getting approved at Sterling City. Watch it and take from it what you will.

Mexican Englishman":1eqwqe8n said:
Personally, I see nothing wrong with transferring for athletic purposes. Why should a family be held hostage because their local school has a poor athletic program?

you can move.. you're not held hostage.. you just have to sit out a year if it's for athletic purposes

pistol":3qplda6j said:
Mexican Englishman":3qplda6j said:
Personally, I see nothing wrong with transferring for athletic purposes. Why should a family be held hostage because their local school has a poor athletic program?

you can move.. you're not held hostage.. you just have to sit out a year if it's for athletic purposes
What happens when it is their senior year?

Mexican Englishman":1dkv4l59 said:
pistol":1dkv4l59 said:
Mexican Englishman":1dkv4l59 said:

If their school has a poor athletic program, and they are interested in moving to a better one... I'm sure they'll know that well before their senior year. If it means that much to them, it's not that hard to ask for a little planning before their senior year

Longhorn85":hwkqi3u4 said:
he would have been better getting approved at Sterling City. Watch it and take from it what you will.

When I first heard this, I thought Jerry Burkhart was a genius for living in Sterling City's school district! I think Landon plays, no questions asked, if he stayed at Sterling City. Jerry and his family then move to Rankin, so Landon wants to go to a school where his dad now works. I have not seen any teams west of San Angelo this year, but I believe Sterling City had a better team than Rankin. That proves the move was not for athletic reasons.

I wish the ominous and elitist UIL would offer Coach Burkhart some advice as to what he should do to get his son eligible. Can Landon go back to Sterling City if he wants to play? Could he, if he chose to do so, go back to Stanton? Should he go back to Richland Springs? Should Coach Burkhart get a job elsewhere? Basically where does he belong if he moved for athletic reasons?

Asking these questions is a joke since the UIL does not have the power to make life-altering decisions. For these reasons, I think this decision violates Landon's right to due process under the 5th and 14th amendments and is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy outside the course and scope of the UIL's power. It might also violate the separation of powers doctrine since the State Education Board is constitutionally a part of the executive branch.

Someone on this site suggested that Burkhart cannot coach at anymore public schools and should go to Abilene Christian HS; that seems both illegal and harsh considering he worked at Richland Springs for 15 years without moving for any reason. Sorry to post on this so much, but I really feel bad for Landon Burkhart and think this type of thinking is the #1 threat to the United States of America whether it is Landon Burkhart or Brett Kavanaugh.

Playing varsity high school ball isn’t a constitutionally guaranteed right. Really confused where you are getting this

Cline":1srq3e2j said:
Playing varsity high school ball isn’t a constitutionally guaranteed right. Really confused where you are getting this

I wouldn't expect anything else from a two-bit superintendent who holds grudges over kicking field goals and acts completely unprofessional during interview processes. Maybe you and your buddies from San Angelo can collaborate over my posts and figure it out. I have explained my rational to you, so it’s your problem if you are too stupid to understand it!

pistol":1wl2n91x said:
Mexican Englishman":1wl2n91x said:
pistol":1wl2n91x said:
Mexican Englishman":1wl2n91x said:

If their school has a poor athletic program, and they are interested in moving to a better one... I'm sure they'll know that well before their senior year. If it means that much to them, it's not that hard to ask for a little planning before their senior year

We obviously disagree, I just don't think their is nothing wrong for leaving for athletic purposes.

Mexican Englishman":1upaf0il said:
pistol":1upaf0il said:
pistol":1upaf0il said:

We obviously disagree, I just don't think their is nothing wrong for leaving for athletic purposes.

While I agree with Mexican Englishman, I do not think the UIL should be in the business of judging intent of someone without any evidence. Furthermore, I do not give a crap what the superintendents of Stanton, Sterling City, Rankin, or any other school thinks about the move.

Mexican Englishman":13pim3av said:
pistol":13pim3av said:
pistol":13pim3av said:

I don't really care if someone wants to move for athletic purposes, if thats what they want to do then do it. Just know the rules

I can understand a need for the rules, buts thats a different topic

TebowTime15":234hu2b4 said:
While I agree with Mexican Englishman, I do not think the UIL should be in the business of judging intent of someone without any evidence. Furthermore, I do not give a crap what the superintendents of Stanton, Sterling City, Rankin, or any other school thinks about the move.

you also stated you didn't care to watch the meeting.. so you are mainly going on what you read in a newspaper piece or heard.

Also they had a bunch of statements and evidence sent in that they had to look over that may not have been presented in the meeting

Mexican Englishman":24ust190 said:
pistol":24ust190 said:

How do you suggest determining if someone moved for athletic persons? Right now, it feels like a French Revolutionary-like Committee on Public Safety which oversaw the deaths of about 100,000 people from 1793 to 1794!

TebowTime15":10dm9u5v said:
Mexican Englishman":10dm9u5v said:
pistol":10dm9u5v said:

How do you suggest determining if someone moved for athletic persons? Right now, it feels like a French Revolutionary-like Committee on Public Safety which oversaw the deaths of about 100,000 people from 1793 to 1794!

First thing-- it does not feel like that at all no.

I believe the PAPF came from Stanton marked with yes.. so while you have been concerned with the UIL .. if that PAPF doesn't come through like that it doesn't ever go to a DEC or the SEC. so You'd have to talk to the stanton supt about what caused him to determine that.

pistol":27za8aop said:
TebowTime15":27za8aop said:
Mexican Englishman":27za8aop said:
pistol":27za8aop said:

First thing-- it does not feel like that at all no.

I believe the PAPF came from Stanton marked with yes.. so while you have been concerned with the UIL .. if that PAPF doesn't come through like that it doesn't ever go to a DEC or the SEC. so You'd have to talk to the stanton supt about what caused him to determine that.

First of all, thanks for trying to tell me and others how to feel! Honestly, that is the bigger issue at hand rather than Landon Burkhart! The UIL wants to control everyone's thoughts and feelings.

I do not know nor care what those acronyms mean. You should probably explain them if you expect someone to take you seriously on this issue, however. I would venture to guess you are a coach or an administrator since you expect the reader to be familiar with them.

Instead of talking to the Stanton Superintendent, I would just sue him if I were Jerry Burkhart because he has NO proof that Coach B left for athletic reasons.Why do I say that? How can you prove someone's intent? Is there a standard or burden of proof of that the UIL uses to prove these cases? If not, it sounds like the Committee on Public Safety to me!

Stanton could instruct TEA To hold Coach Burkhart's contract if he was upset with the way he left; I just think it is petty as hell to take it out on his son.

TebowTime15":3k3r598b said:
First of all, thanks for trying to tell me and others how to feel! Honestly, that is the bigger issue at hand rather than Landon Burkhart! The UIL wants to control everyone's thoughts and feelings.

I do not know nor care what those acronyms mean. You should probably explain them if you expect someone to take you seriously on this issue, however. I would venture to guess you are a coach or an administrator since you expect the reader to be familiar with them.

Instead of talking to the Stanton Superintendent, I would just sue him if I were Jerry Burkhart because he has NO proof that Coach B left for athletic reasons.Why do I say that? How can you prove someone's intent? Is there a standard or burden of proof of that the UIL uses to prove these cases? If not, it sounds like the Committee on Public Safety to me!

Stanton could instruct TEA To hold Coach Burkhart's contract if he was upset with the way he left; I just think it is petty as hell to take it out on his son.

you said it felt like it, I said it didn't.. how is what I did any different than what you did?

SEC is literally in the name of the thread.. change state to district and you have DEC...

Because I am not the one telling the Burkharts A. your concern for your son's life is invalid and B. you moved for athletic reasons and used this "threat" as a farce to cover it up. I don't see how anyone or anything could reach this conclusion without those two premises. What's the proof? Some clown in Stanton?

I'm sad for every student, parent, and administrator that was placed in this situation. May everyone have learned something whether the result was what anybody wanted!

Back