UIL State Exec Committee to Meet on Rankin

TebowTime15":3ehxvbfq said:
Texlonghorn75":3ehxvbfq said:
Some people are confusing the issue here. Simply Burkhart made a few decisions, yes it involved a unique set of circumstances, and the UIL made their decision. Burkhart could have called UIL up front before hand and ask what about his situation and I'm sure the UIL would have given him the same answer he got Tuesday. He might have been able to modify his response(moving) somehow as to not prevented his son's participation somewhere, but isn't his son's safety is what this was all about anyhow??? The UIL has to be consistent with its response regardless of status. If the UIL approved this, it would open up a can of worms for everyone to ask to transfer whenever there was a problem. Remember the District executive committee ruled against Burkhart so what do you think the State committee was going to do? The facts and the depositions did not change from the District review to the State review. Hopefully Landon can play next year. I'm sure Abilene Christian High would take him and UIL can't touch him there. Happy Trails...

You are confusing the issue, my friend. For one thing, I bet the UIL wouldn't have even responded to Jerry Burkhart had he called them about this situation! For another, I remember the UIL bending over backwards to let students displaced by Hurricane Katrina play in Texas. What's the difference? The UIL thinks one is more important than the other.

Why do they get to decide what is more important than anyone else? While I understand it totally in the federal system, the State of Texas is weird because the Members of the State Board of Education are part of the state's plural executive branch.

Either way, the UIL should either A. not be able to make determinations about a player's status if extraneous circumstances led to the action in question or B. not let anyone play unless they sit out a year whether they live in the district or not. I say this because they are qualified to answer questions about UIL RULES not life threatening situations. Doing so, in my opinion, violates their mandate and separate of powers, whether it comes from the Texas Constitution or the delegation doctrine (like it does in the federal system.)

Think of it like border patrol agent not being able to arrest citizens or police not being able to arrest non-citizens. Basically, they are outside the course and scope of their jurisdiction by telling Mr. and Mrs. Burkhart that their son's live means nothing in the grand scheme of things. To me, the dangerous precedent starts when they tell Hurricane Katrina Victims that they can play, yet tell Landon Burkhart he cannot play. Both, in their minds, have legitimate reasons why the rule should not apply to them. The regulation of hearts and minds is a cancer in our society as demonstrated by this situation and Brett Kavanaugh ordeal.

Again, this is probably a mute point since Landon can simply fill out the paperwork as a new student (like I did) or Jerry takes a job at another public school. It just irritates me that the elites in Austin can tell, us, the people, how to live our lives!

you don't think this is any different than having your home/town destroyed by a hurricane?

Have you watched the meeting yet?

pistol":hafh5ajn said:
TebowTime15":hafh5ajn said:
Texlonghorn75":hafh5ajn said:
Some people are confusing the issue here. Simply Burkhart made a few decisions, yes it involved a unique set of circumstances, and the UIL made their decision. Burkhart could have called UIL up front before hand and ask what about his situation and I'm sure the UIL would have given him the same answer he got Tuesday. He might have been able to modify his response(moving) somehow as to not prevented his son's participation somewhere, but isn't his son's safety is what this was all about anyhow??? The UIL has to be consistent with its response regardless of status. If the UIL approved this, it would open up a can of worms for everyone to ask to transfer whenever there was a problem. Remember the District executive committee ruled against Burkhart so what do you think the State committee was going to do? The facts and the depositions did not change from the District review to the State review. Hopefully Landon can play next year. I'm sure Abilene Christian High would take him and UIL can't touch him there. Happy Trails...

You are confusing the issue, my friend. For one thing, I bet the UIL wouldn't have even responded to Jerry Burkhart had he called them about this situation! For another, I remember the UIL bending over backwards to let students displaced by Hurricane Katrina play in Texas. What's the difference? The UIL thinks one is more important than the other.

Why do they get to decide what is more important than anyone else? While I understand it totally in the federal system, the State of Texas is weird because the Members of the State Board of Education are part of the state's plural executive branch.

Either way, the UIL should either A. not be able to make determinations about a player's status if extraneous circumstances led to the action in question or B. not let anyone play unless they sit out a year whether they live in the district or not. I say this because they are qualified to answer questions about UIL RULES not life threatening situations. Doing so, in my opinion, violates their mandate and separate of powers, whether it comes from the Texas Constitution or the delegation doctrine (like it does in the federal system.)

Think of it like border patrol agent not being able to arrest citizens or police not being able to arrest non-citizens. Basically, they are outside the course and scope of their jurisdiction by telling Mr. and Mrs. Burkhart that their son's live means nothing in the grand scheme of things. To me, the dangerous precedent starts when they tell Hurricane Katrina Victims that they can play, yet tell Landon Burkhart he cannot play. Both, in their minds, have legitimate reasons why the rule should not apply to them. The regulation of hearts and minds is a cancer in our society as demonstrated by this situation and Brett Kavanaugh ordeal.

Again, this is probably a mute point since Landon can simply fill out the paperwork as a new student (like I did) or Jerry takes a job at another public school. It just irritates me that the elites in Austin can tell, us, the people, how to live our lives!

you don't think this is any different than having your home/town destroyed by a hurricane?

It's not my job to decide which is worse nor is it the job of the UIL. No, and I do not plan to watch propaganda because it is IMPOSSIBLE to know the truth. Only the Burkhart's and maybe the kid who made the threats know for sure.

TebowTime15":9g2pq3ih said:
pistol":9g2pq3ih said:
TebowTime15":9g2pq3ih said:
Texlonghorn75":9g2pq3ih said:

It's not my job to decide which is worse nor is it the job of the UIL. No, and I do not plan to watch propaganda because it is IMPOSSIBLE to know the truth. Only the Burkhart's and maybe the kid who made the threats know for sure.

I didn't ask you if you thought it was worse.. I was asking if you thought it was different or the same.

It's not propaganda, it is a recording of a public meeting where the Burkharts, SC supt, and Rankin supt, got to talk. you get to see everything they say, and get all the information. Whether it changes your opinion or not, at least you will be fully informed.

pistol":6a1ctwi5 said:
TebowTime15":6a1ctwi5 said:
pistol":6a1ctwi5 said:
TebowTime15":6a1ctwi5 said:
Texlonghorn75":6a1ctwi5 said:

I didn't ask you if you thought it was worse.. I was asking if you thought it was different or the same.

It's not propaganda, it is a recording of a public meeting where the Burkharts, SC supt, and Rankin supt, got to talk. you get to see everything they say, and get all the information. Whether it changes your opinion or not, at least you will be fully informed.

I think both the victims of Hurricane Katrina and Landon Burkhart believed that they both faced circumstances that should make them an exception to a rule....then again Landon Burkhart did not violate a rule.

Ok I'll answer it since you won't.. no it's not the same as a natural disaster wiping out your home leaving you no place to live.

pistol":3rn41jnw said:
Ok I'll answer it since you won't.. no it's not the same as a natural disaster wiping out your home leaving you no place to live.

While Jerry Burkhart might disagree, it is not the UIL's place to make those determinations as they are not a judiciary governmental body. Thanks for making my point for me! :)

Vincent J. Davis":36b4kbpz said:
And if Landon is ineligible and can’t play because of transferring then the UIL needs to have that same energy towards these 6a schools out here in DFW.... schools like Desoto, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, Dallas ISD schools all of these kids get recruited to play at these schools out here.. no homegrown talent at all!! Kids living 35-45 minutes away from the 6a schools that they play at.. and don’t give me that “open enrollment” stuff ... but the UIL doesn’t want to come down on those schools because they can’t lose money $$$ because that’s all it’s about with these folks down in Austin.. I am willing to fight this for Landon!! IF HE CANT PLAY THEN PLAYERS FROM ALLEN, DUNCANVILLE, DESOTO, and all these other 6a schools out here that recruit shouldn’t be allowed to play either then!!!! Why don’t you rule them ineligible UIL???
Don’t worry Landon, I promise you that you will be playing 6man football week 1.. if anyone wants to discuss this matter with me I will be at AT&T next Wednesday!!!

God bless,

Coach Davis
Dallas Lutheran

Mr. Vincent J. Davis,
You have the WRONG idea of what UIL does.
1- Coaches from the district schools meet WAY before week 1 and they all turn in all PAPF's/transfers information.
2- the PAPF/transfers information are then discussed by each coach/AD at the district meeting.
3 - IT IS THERE WHERE THE KIDS ARE DEEMED ELIGIBLE OR INELIGIBLE.
- If ineligible, then the DEC's get involved (Superintendents).
- then from there if the student is still ineligible, they can go to UIL and plead there case.

So what you are disgruntled about has nothing to do with UIL policing Dallas ISD, You need to blame the AD's/Coaches of DALLAS ISD and the surrounding area for not looking deeper into where those Dallas area kids live.

COZMO KRAMER
I can be found on Seinfeld
I too will be at the 6 man state games
I'll be easy to locate, I'm 6'6, a little on the heavy side weighing in at 316 lbs.
I'll be cheering for the Panhandle teams of Follett and McLean

Kramer":1al60qt5 said:
Vincent J. Davis":1al60qt5 said:
And if Landon is ineligible and can’t play because of transferring then the UIL needs to have that same energy towards these 6a schools out here in DFW.... schools like Desoto, Cedar Hill, Duncanville, Dallas ISD schools all of these kids get recruited to play at these schools out here.. no homegrown talent at all!! Kids living 35-45 minutes away from the 6a schools that they play at.. and don’t give me that “open enrollment” stuff ... but the UIL doesn’t want to come down on those schools because they can’t lose money $$$ because that’s all it’s about with these folks down in Austin.. I am willing to fight this for Landon!! IF HE CANT PLAY THEN PLAYERS FROM ALLEN, DUNCANVILLE, DESOTO, and all these other 6a schools out here that recruit shouldn’t be allowed to play either then!!!! Why don’t you rule them ineligible UIL???
Don’t worry Landon, I promise you that you will be playing 6man football week 1.. if anyone wants to discuss this matter with me I will be at AT&T next Wednesday!!!

God bless,

Coach Davis
Dallas Lutheran

Mr. Vincent J. Davis,
1- Coaches from the district schools meet WAY before week 1 and they all turn in all PAPF's/transfers information.
2- the PAPF/transfers information are then discussed by each coach/AD at the district meeting.
- then from there is the student is still ineligible, they can go to UIL.

So what you are disgruntled about, You need to blame the AD's/Coaches for not looking deeper into where those Dallas area kids live.

COZMO KRAMER

Are coaches making legal determinations now?

TebowTime15":1hd76lq9 said:
Kramer":1hd76lq9 said:
Vincent J. Davis":1hd76lq9 said:

God bless,

Coach Davis
Dallas Lutheran

Mr. Vincent J. Davis,
- then from there is the student is still ineligible, they can go to UIL.

So what you are disgruntled about, You need to blame the AD's/Coaches for not looking deeper into where those Dallas area kids live.

COZMO KRAMER

Are coaches making legal determinations now?

I’ll be there as well, 972-897-2841 I’ll be happy to listen to you and look you eye to eye and tell me how the UIL does things Mr. Kramer, also I love Seinfeld lol

TebowTime15

It's always been this way..

Before any season starts
1- Coaches meet somewhere, they bring schedules, rosters, PAPF's (transfer information).
2- They discuss the PAPF
3- If a PAPF is ruled ineligible, the coaches then go to their Superintendents IF they want to PUSH the issue.
4- Superintendents then call a DEC meeting. ALL school district Supt's meet there.
5- If still voted on NO the student is ineligible, Then mommy & daddy usually go to UIL with that schools SUPT.

Same thing happens in NCAA,
Why do you think they have media day. After media day, All the coaches discuss their conference policies, eligible transfers, conference tie breaker policy, bowls there conference is tied in with, etc ...
Only its NCAA, not UIL

And I also would like to give you my opinions as well face to face, eye to eye. Hope to hear from you and meet you Kramer.

God bless,

Coach Davis
Dallas Lutheran

Mr. Vincent J Davis,

I too know very well of the UIL as I retired from that exact same UIL in 2011.
I've had coaching stints (32 yrs) at Levelland, Brownfield, Kerrville Tivy, Temple, Henderson, Palestine, 6 yrs as KATY ISD AD, then 11 years at UIL in Austin Texas.
I also played/lettered at SPARTY (4 yrs of football at Michigan State) but that's beside the point here.

The UIL that you guys are bashing is nothing like you guys are saying, THEY WORK VERY HARD TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT FOR EVERYONE AND THERE WILL BE TIMES WHERE THE UIL WILL GO AGAINST WHAT YOU THINK IS RIGHT.

The people at UIL work very hard with Academics, Athletics, Music, Spirit, Media and I was one of them for 11 years.

TebowTime15":d462qojb said:
pistol":d462qojb said:

While Jerry Burkhart might disagree, it is not the UIL's place to make those determinations as they are not a judiciary governmental body. Thanks for making my point for me! :)

But the UIL is the governing body in this situation .. so why would it not be their place? Who’s place do you think it is?

Kramer":1dlshx0n said:
Mr. Vincent J Davis,

I've had coaching stints (32 yrs) at Levelland, Brownfield, Kerrville Tivy, Temple, Henderson and Palestine then 11 years at UIL in Austin Texas

The UIL that you guys are bashing is nothing like you guys are saying, THEY WORK VERY HARD TO DO WHAT'S RIGHT FOR EVERYONE AND THERE WILL BE TIMES WHERE THE UIL WILL GO AGAINST WHAT YOU THINK IS RIGHT.

972-897-2841 get in touch with me Wednesday around 10am at AT&T you may convince me more in person on how th UIL runs things.

God bless,

Coach Davis
Dallas Lutheran

Kramer":icpnodh7 said:
TebowTime15

It's always been this way..

Before any season starts
1- Coaches meet somewhere, they bring schedules, rosters, PAPF's (transfer information).
2- They discuss the PAPF
3- If a PAPF is ruled ineligible, the coaches then go to their Superintendents IF they want to PUSH the issue.
4- Superintendents then call a DEC meeting. ALL school district Supt's meet there.
5- If still voted on NO the student is ineligible, Then mommy & daddy usually go to UIL with that schools SUPT.

Same thing happens in NCAA,
Why do you think they have media day. After media day, All the coaches discuss their conference policies, eligible transfers, conference tie breaker policy, bowls there conference is tied in with, etc ...
Only its NCAA, not UIL

Landon moved to Rankin at the start of football season, so he would not have been discussed at Rankin's district meeting. The Burkhart's moved to Rankin, they claim, because of inaction by the Stanton City Police and/or the Sheriff of the County Stanton exists within.

Given this fact, I dare you to show me a single example where the UIL, or heck NCAA for that matter, told parents/athletes that they should be punished for feeling threatened in a situation. While I understand not letting him play the rest of the football season, the UIL is being vindictive against the Burkhart's for all the allegations people leveled against Jerry at Richland Springs. This is outside the course in scope of their mandate and, in my informed opinion, violates the Separation of Powers doctrine.

This situation reminds me of charging OJ Simpson with "kidnapping" for moving someone an inch. I have said it several times, but crap like this will destroy our country! Whether it is Brett Kavanaugh or Landon Burkhart, not giving the presumption of innocence is wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The UIL is judging the intentions of the Burkharts, which is a very very hard thing to do and regulate. You or someone in your camp brought up poor precedents; like the coach from Dallas Lutheran said, other places actually recruit and no one gets onto them.

I think it is time for someone to curtails the power of the UIL's board of elitist once and for all! Factor in my personal experience with this process, and I think Landon Burkhart is getting railroaded because of his last name!

pistol":3vxqe86v said:
TebowTime15":3vxqe86v said:
pistol":3vxqe86v said:

But the UIL is the governing body in this situation .. so why would it not be their place? Who’s place do you think it is?

I think it needs to be litigated in court because the UIL overstepped their authority! Maybe a kid during Hurricane Katrina used that situation as an excuse to go to Southlake Carroll or Lake Travis or something!

I think that the ruling is a shame and honestly believe that the Burkharts intent was nothing but honorable. Situations like this are not black & white and I believe that Coach did what he thought was best for his family. The Burkharts are a Christian family and will become stronger through this adversity.

Kramer":sggnfg9l said:
Mr. Vincent J Davis,

I've had coaching stints (32 yrs) at Levelland, Brownfield, Kerrville Tivy, Temple, Henderson, Palestine, 6 yrs as KATY ISD AD, then 11 years at UIL in Austin Texas.
I also played/lettered at SPARTY (4 yrs of football at Michigan State) but that's beside the point here.

The people at UIL work very hard with Academics, Athletics, Music, Spirit, Media and I was one of them for 11 years.
Kramer, Thanks for your UIL service and your post on this thread. Your post is a light in the dark.

Response number 1. Kramer “A rich man will walk by a five dollar bill and not pick it up”. I may not be rich but you and I see a penny on the ground at the same time it’s gonna be a race my friend. Pennies have friends that turn into dollars, etc,etc.........you get the picture I’m sure.

Response number 2. I have personal knowledge of a situation this year where a new administration came in to an area school district and denied transfer requests of kids that had been transferring for most of their school years. They gave various reasons for the denials, I’m sure it’s just a coincidence the kids denied were black. Oh and by the way, when one of the kids transferred to another school in the district the original school fought their eligibility When the appeal reached the UIL they denied it, so the kid lost a year of eligibility. In reality not too many folks currently employed in school districts under the UIL are going to go to the mat with the UIL. It is an adversarial procedure where you have to prove yourself innocent. Too much to lose, not enough to gain to take the risk. There is a saying:
“Power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely. No doubt there are good honest people trying to do a good job in difficult situations, but sometimes the justifications just don’t sound right, and anyone who believes ANY Organization is Always Right is beyond naive. So, at this time there’s really no one to appeal to. If enough people complain to their elected representatives, perhaps someone will look into the entire situation. Until then, complaints fall on deaf ears.

Back