Top 5 best coaches

1. Jerry Burkhart, Richland Springs. It is hard to argue against 8 state rings along with a total domination of the sport.

2. Vance Jones, Balmorhea. I call him "the Father of west Texas sixmanfootball" because EVERY team west of the Pecos runs his offense. He also bolsters an impressive resume with at least 2 state rings.

3. Nathan Hayes, Crowell. I believe I am right about this stat: Besides this year, Hayes has made it to the state game every year when he is not employed by Lohn or Blackwell. Truly one of the underrated coaches in Sixman.

4. Terry Crawford, Abbott. The King of eastern sixmanfootball in my opinion, Crawford has at least 2 rings, several appearances in the state game, and a long track record of excellence at Abbott.

5. Dewayne Lee, Strawn. It seems like Strawn has been down a bit recently, but Lee had a run of 3 or 4 years ending about 2012 where his team could beat anyone in the state on a given night.

Coaches to watch in the future:
* John Benavidas, Buena Vista
* Isaiah Archer, Southland

crawford":3s3a5ogt said:
That “fact” on Hayes is far from true

Any list without Coach Richey at BC is hard to take serious.

Are you sure? Hayes was at Lohn for two years, took Jayton to the state game, stayed at Blackwell for a while with limited success, and then took Crowell to the last 4 state games. If I wrong, then it is maybe a few years after he left Blackwell and before he went to Crowell.

I have only seen Borden County play a few times and one of those was the worst state game ever where BC beat Highland like 14 to 10. You are entitled to my opinion as am I, but I will put my list up against anyones.

On reputation, Richie would be right there with Jones
Hayes, Abbott, and Lee; I think the only concrete fact is that Jerry Burkhart is #1!

Coach Richey may very well go down as one of the best coaches ever. I think Tebow is a little salty because Coach Richey either A. Knocked him(player) out of the playoffs, B. Knocked his team out of the playoffs. You can’t deny what the man has done. He’s earned the respect.

Crowell, with Hayes at the helm, was defeated in the semi-finals last year by Richland Springs. They did, however, make it to the finals in '13, '14 & '15 defeating May in '13 & '14 and losing to Abbott in '15.

Lol, I have only see Borden County play once in my entire life and never played against them. Do you and Crawford have the hots for Coach Richie or something? You act like I killed his dog or really wronged him in some way.

TebowTime15":1339lc94 said:
Lol, I have only see Borden County play once in my entire life and never played against them. Do you and Crawford have the hots for Coach Richie or something? You act like I killed his dog or really wronged him in some way.

So you have to see the Coach in person to qualify them as a great coach? Good call Madden. Have you not paid attention to 6 man in the last few years?

Impossible to rank 5 because we don't know enough about all of the coaches to be impartial. What about Steele from May or Crumpton from Milford or Mallory from Union Hill? I know they may not be the best coaches, but who has done more for their kids and programs than Bronkhorst or Satcher? Top coaches aren't always the one with the most wins, because the athletes can have a lot to do with that. Who is the x factor in their teams wins? Or who gives their team an advantage just because they are on the sidelines?

Goonesfarm":3eo12eoy said:
TebowTime15":3eo12eoy said:

So you have to see the Coach in person to qualify them as a great coach? Good call Madden. Have you not paid attention to 6 man in the last few years?

Wow, I already said you could make an argument for Richie as the second best coach in Sixman...what more do you want from me? A marriage proposal? #thoughtpolice

I just had surgery and thought it would be fun to rank the coaches in Sixman. Badger Country hit the nail on the head; there are different ways to look at this.

I have met every coach in my top 4, know two of them pretty well, and saw Strawn play 5 times during their 2009 state championship run as a college student at Ranger College. Again, I have only seen Borden County play one time in my entire life.

You know what I find ironic? I am the only person to actually state my list so far. "Let he who not sin cast the first stone." - Jesus Christ Our LORD and SAVIOR

That is the kind of thing people say when they are intellectually defeated.

Maybe cause just like best player of all time this topic has been beat to death over the years. How many of those coaches did you list chase the talent? How many of them stay and are competitive during the lean years? To me thats what makes a coach great not the X's and O's but the ones that can do more with less.

Tebowtime what is your deal with calling people out as intellectually defeated, but all you said was who you think is "crushing on who". Then you edited your post to sound more centric in the conversation. Also most phones and computers have this feature that the younger kids like you don't know about called spelling and grammar check.

If you are referring to the millennial comment, you are wrong again. You sound just like a millennial and I would be willing to bet that you are.

I would say watch Clint Linman at Mclean. Look what he has done with that program in his first year! He deserves some recognition.

I would have to agree with the linman vote got to give props where it is earned. Also not sure of his name but the follett coach has done very well for a long time.

Let me name a few: Nelson Campbell, Ed Poehls, Lane Jackson, Clarence Spieker, Roddy Maddox. Not in any particular order. I'd put them up against anyone in today's era.

Back