2000-2010

In my opinion the 2000’s was one of the best decades the game of Six-man has ever seen. I would like to hear some of your takes on an all decade team for this period.

Qb-
Spread back-
Rb-
Rb-
Line-
Line-
Line-
Utility back-

Defense-
Top 8

Best teams of the decade-
Top 5

Best Coaches of the decade-
Top 5

Trucker Tony I enjoy good ole memory lane and I thought I'd join your conversion. This topic comes up around fire pits and always brings enjoyable healthy conversations. I have been lucky to see lots of good sixman football for nearly 30 years as assistant and head coach. Doing this took me back to where only 6 players made all district and 6 players made up the all state and then your asking to do it over a 10 year span. Yikes. I'll spread some of the wealth, only play on one side of the ball and add a few spots. Obviously I'm biased, and when having to pick multiple kids for same spot the deciding factor was what my preference would be as a coach (offensive style, and defense style), Ive coached in about 8 all star games and it didn't take me long to realize that theres players who might have only gotten all district that showed up and if their supporting cast had been better or circumstances different they would be on a list that folks would talk about for years. In my situation I'm a little tunnel visioned cause i had to prepare for certain teams and might not have focused on the whole state as a general evaluaiton. But these are the players that for me had memorable impact over this time period.

MVP: Tyler Ethridge (04,05,06,07)
Offensive MVP: Bryce Hogue, Throckmorton (04-05-06)
Defensive MVP: Jonathan Parsons, Strawn (00-01-02-03) Started every game as a freshmen.
NewComer: Braxton Oliver Throckmorton (04-05) Only had two seasons as a six-man player (23-1 with 1 state title and could have had second one if the Comanche sideline painter would have made his line 1" thinner)

1st Team Offense (2000-2010)
Qb- Josh Thweatt, Panther Creek (Coached against and also coached him All Star Game)
Spread back-Tanner Mayes, Zephyr (04)
Rb-Stacey Womack, Trinidad (06-07)
Rb-Josh Colunga, Garden City (09-10)
RB-Dekesler Ford, Calvert (05)
Fullback-Trey Doyle, Strawn (08-09)
Spread Center-Jordan Gonzales, Throckmorton (10)
Tight Center-Aaron Long, Garden City (10)
Do Both Center-Kyle Simpson, Rule (07)
Line-Mark Williams, Richland Springs (06-07)
Line-Zack Agnew, Vernon Northside (09)
Line-Bret Chudej, Garden City (09-10)
Utility back-James Stocks, Grand-falls Royalty (00)

1st Team Defense (2000-2010)
Defense Line-Johnathan Lindsey, Strawn (08)
Defense LIne-Emery Dudensing, Rule (04-05)
Defense Line-Paul Green, Sanderson (01-02)
Linebacker-Brian Ford, Calvert (04)
Linebacker-Shelby Smith, Richland Springs (05-06)
Linebacker-Stephen Pace, Rule (05,06,07)
Corner-Logan Scarlett, Throckmorton (04, 05)
Corner-Levi Hardcastle, Blum (06,07)
Safety-Brandon Hoskins, Whitharral (01,02)
Safety-Jordan Hicks, Richland Springs (01)
Utility Player-Robert Perez, Woodson (06,07)

2nd Team Offense
QB-Blayne Batia, Garden City, (10)
Spread Back-Darius Kimberling (06,07)
RB-CJ Saucedo, Rule (05,06,07)
RB-Denim Reeves, Richland Springs (10)
RB-Darius Smith, Calvert (02)
Fullback-Travis Walker, Calvert
Center-John Kelly, Sanderson (00)
Line-Justin Hampton, Paducah (03,04)
Line-Dustin Speckles, Panther Creek (00)
Line-Tim Haag, Aspermont (03,04)
Line-Zach Ramsey, Valley (03,04)
Utility-Michael Everett, Throckmorton (09,10)

2nd Team Defense
Line-Bo Simpson, Trent (00,01)
Line-Rocky Reyna, Whitharral (01-02)
Line-Cole Freeman, Follett (09,10)
LB-Richard Delunda (09,10)
LB-Johnny Abbott, Strawn (07-08)
LB-Charlie Walden, Valley (04,05)
Corner-Jacob Hancock, Valley (08,09)
Corner-Jason Tharp, Richland Springs (02)
Safety-Eric Dickerhoff, Ira (02)
Safety-Alex Espinoza, Valley (04,05)
Utility:Andrew Fowler, Richland Springs (06,07,08)

Top Offense: (Id need to see more stats like PPG vs top 10 teams)
2006 & 2007: Richland Springs
2005: Throckmorton
2006 and 2007: Rule
2009 and 2010: Garden City
2010: Throckmorton
2007: Happy
2000: Panther Creek
2002: Sanderson
2002: Calvert

Top Defenses:
2007: Richland Springs
2005: Throckmorton
2001: Whitharral
2000: Panther Creek
2005: Richland Springs
2006: Rule
2007: Motley County
2008: Borden County
2010: Richland Springs
2010: Throckmorton

Best teams of the decade-
Top 5
1: 2007 Richland
2: 2005 Throckmorton
3: 2010 Garden City
4: 2006 Richland
5: 2006 Rule

If I personally had to pick 12 kids to play both ways and play against any other 10 year group Id pick these guys.
I picked 12 so we could practice against ourselves to get ready.
QB: Braxton Oliver Throckmorton DL:Johnny Parsons, Strawn
RB: Tyler Ethridge, Richland Springs DL: Stephen Pace, Rule
RB: Bryce Hogue, Throckmorton NG: Jonathan Lindsey, Strawn
FullBack: Brian Ford, Calvert LB: Braxton Oliver, Throckmorton
Center: Kyle Simpson, Rule S: Bryce Hoge, Throckmorton
End: Mark Williams, Richland Springs S: Tyler Ethridge, Richland Springs
End: Zach Agnew, Verson Northside Utility: Zach Agnew, Vernon Northside
Utility Player: Jonathan Lindsey, Strawn Utility: Mark WIlliams, Richland Springs
Utility Player: Stephen Pace, Rule Utility: Kyle SImpson, Rule
Utility Player: Emery Dudensing, Rule Utility: Emery Dudensing, Rule
Utility Player: Stacey Womack, Trinidad Utility: Stacy Womack, Trinidad
Utility Player: Johnny Parsons, Strawn Utility: Brian Ford, Calvert

Last edited:
The panhandle (although lacking in state championships) had some very good ones.

Groom :
- Clay Britten (would’ve been a big name if he didn’t move and immediately start for Randall 4A (now 5A) for 2 years.

-Clay Ritter, and a few more from the early 2000’s.

Follett: Tanner Woods: One of the, if not the best spreadback that no one talks about. Started all 4 years, over 10,000 yards, and had one of the highest football IQ’s I’ve seen. Could run and throw. If you saw any film you would think is that TE? Just a bit shorter and weighed less. Powerful and elite quickness but his throwing was top notch with accuracy and awareness. Played at WT for a bit before playing baseball.

Wheeler: Cole Hathaway linebacker. He was in on what seemed every tackle in there short stint in sixman.

Silverton: Red Ivory: elite athlete

Patton Springs: Mason Pierce: probably the most dominant person I saw on film for a team with not a lot of talent. 6’3 210-220 and a legit 4.5 40 yard dash. Ran the 400 in 50 seconds. Played at ACU. If there was film on this team you would know he belongs.

Not much but names that should be mentioned imo.

Great list Coach Reed. I don’t disagree except for maybe one of your OL picks from Valley.

The panhandle (although lacking in state championships) had some very good ones.

Groom :
- Clay Britten (would’ve been a big name if he didn’t move and immediately start for Randall 4A (now 5A) for 2 years.

-Clay Ritter, and a few more from the early 2000’s.

Follett: Tanner Woods: One of the, if not the best spreadback that no one talks about. Started all 4 years, over 10,000 yards, and had one of the highest football IQ’s I’ve seen. Could run and throw. If you saw any film you would think is that TE? Just a bit shorter and weighed less. Powerful and elite quickness but his throwing was top notch with accuracy and awareness. Played at WT for a bit before playing baseball.

Wheeler: Cole Hathaway linebacker. He was in on what seemed every tackle in there short stint in sixman.

Silverton: Red Ivory: elite athlete

Patton Springs: Mason Pierce: probably the most dominant person I saw on film for a team with not a lot of talent. 6’3 210-220 and a legit 4.5 40 yard dash. Ran the 400 in 50 seconds. Played at ACU. If there was film on this team you would know he belongs.

Not much but names that should be mentioned imo.

Great list Coach Reed. I don’t disagree except for maybe one of your OL picks from Valley.
I never got to see Tanner Woods on film or in person, I knew his stats were really good, just never got to see him to make an educated decision. There was a discussion some years ago with Private school Strand kid and pulblic school and best passers, but I honestly never saw a single clip or game and very well couldn't agree or disagree.

Red Ivory for me fell into the category that a bunch of east Texas players fell into, freak athlete know doubt.

I watched Mason Pierce play and really considered him (he's also a good friend and will probably call me on this, LOL) but i wasn't sure who to take off and replace him with. But he did make Patton Springs look good, and probably the only player that has made the unbalanced T formation look so good.

The Valley OL kid I had the honor of coaching in an All Star game in Garden City, Wont pass they eye test, but won me over that week. I'm sure there might be better, just couldn't think of who it could have been that I had seen on film or in person.

Always good discussions though.

Back