TAPPS playoff picks

Panther Grand, as I said I think this game could be a toss up. Have seen both play and both are very good. And when two solid well coached teams meet it is anyone's guess of the outcome. Unfortunately only one team will advance. Both are capable of winning it all.
Of course who ever wins barring an upset, which are always possible this time of year. Will have to get passed Classical and then 1st Baptist in all probability.

Looking at The D3 match-ups for round 2
Up North
Azle v Crowley- Nazarene won the season match-up by 50. It's hard to beat a team twice in one year. But I will take Nazarene n this one anyway.
Prestonwood v Longview - Heritage is the defending Champion, but does not appear to be as strong as last year. Prestonwood has had trouble in the play-offs in the past. But I think this might be their year. Give me Prestonwood.
Down South
Baytown v Lake Jackson- same scenario as Azle/Crowley. faced each other during the season, Lake J won by 24. I will go with the team that won the 1st game. Lake J
Freddy v St. Joseph - Freddy has history, but its been awile since they have done it, and this won't be the year that they are back. St. Joe going away.

After watching some games of St. Joes and Prestonwood, I’ve got those two in the State game. It could go either way however. Both are pretty physical and can also throw the ball pretty good. Especially after the Azle game for Prestonwood, I wouldn’t be surprised if they carried that momentum into playoffs, especially since it was their first time to beat them. St. Joes did have that early season victory against Coram Deo, but apparently Coram Deo found their footing for the Lucas game (which was Lucas’ homecoming). If I did have to pick a team for upsetting either of them, I would go Nazarene for Prestonwood and San Marcos for St. Joes.
So much for San Marcos, congrats on the win for Baytown! If anyone payed attention, the Nazarene v Rockwall Heritage game was really close in the first, and then Nazarene ran away with it. Did Rockwall lose someone or just didn’t have enough guys to keep up? St. Joes did what we thought they would and took their game with ease. Prestonwood’s score can’t reflect anything for they scored 40 in the first and could’ve kept going, but they started to put in the JV players in the second. My prediction of St. Joes and Prestonwood still looks good, but there is still a chance that Freddy and Nazarene can mess that up.

Longview vs Prestonwood is going to interesting... Likely to decide who will represent the north in the state game.

Defense - Both play great defense. Prestonwood has more depth and talent, but Longview's kids are experienced in big games and have the overall edge on speed. Both teams are very similar vs a tight offense. Facing a spread offense, Longview tends to apply more pressure while Prestonwood's kids do a great job of "read and react" style defense. Longview thrives off of making big plays on D.

Offense - Longview prefers to run the ball from the spread but I think Prestonwood will be able to slow them down. If #3 for Longview can get hot throwing the ball down the field, I'd put money on Longview. Prestonwood spreads the ball around to everyone. A lot will ride on if #7 and #5 can stay composed and make plays against Longview's rush. #9 and #33 are both excellent rushers.

Overall, it should be a great game. Both teams would represent the north well going forward.

Don’t know how to read Longview. Looking at their schedule did they have kids hurt when they played baytown? Baytown beat them fairly convincingly and you have them staying in the game vs #1 ranked prestonwood?

Don’t know how to read Longview. Looking at their schedule did they have kids hurt when they played baytown? Baytown beat them fairly convincingly and you have them staying in the game vs #1 ranked prestonwood?
Honestly, if he saw Prestonwood play Longview in the playoff game last year and that's the only time he's seen them live, I get where he's coming from. There were a lot of flaws with last year's team. Hopefully they've been addressed and rectified.

Didn't even see Baytown played Longview this year. Could we have an under the radar team in the south? I know in the past Baytown's been top dog but they don't have all the hype they used too have.

The biggest takeaway was Baytown's spreadback did an excellent job neutralizing Longview's rush with his decision making. The scored got lopsided quickly but Longview seemed to find a grove towards the end of the game.

That's why I think the matchup to watch is Prestonwood's passers(#5 & #7) vs Longview's rushers(#9 & #33). I think whoever wins this battle will win the game.

The biggest takeaway was Baytown's spreadback did an excellent job neutralizing Longview's rush with his decision making. The scored got lopsided quickly but Longview seemed to find a grove towards the end of the game.

That's why I think the matchup to watch is Prestonwood's passers(#5 & #7) vs Longview's rushers(#9 & #33). I think whoever wins this battle will win the game.
If Prestonoods spread back is as good as baytown then we should see a prestonwood win. Haven’t seen either spread back live but heard prestonwood is a better thrower and baytowns Is quick and elusive. If that’s the case then it may be more of a coverage matchup for Longview.

Didn't even see Baytown played Longview this year. Could we have an under the radar team in the south? I know in the past Baytown's been top dog but they don't have all the hype they used too have.
Longview turned the ball over 5 times uncharacteristically against Baytown. The score wasn't indicative of the game on the field.

…and there’s the fact Baytown scored 86 points. Even with 5 turnovers, that’s a lot of points. Did Longview get any stops?
That was kinda my thought…. And Baytown had the chance to score again with around a minute left but their spread back slid at the 1 yard line instead of running the score up more and making it more lopsided……

…and there’s the fact Baytown scored 86 points. Even with 5 turnovers, that’s a lot of points. Did Longview get any stops?
the turnovers resulted in 40 points. no doubt bay wanted to show up but I wouldn't read too much into that loss by Lvw since that was early in the season. Should be a good game against PW

No. Baytown moved the ball at will... 5, 10, 15 yards a pop. This was because of Baytown's offensive scheme and their spreadback not getting rattled by Longview's rush and making good decisions w/ the ball.

I would agree with @Dfwjwb. I wouldn't read too much into the loss. If they played again, I'd pick Longview.

I just want to know who is making those spread predictions? Bay over Brazosport when Bazosport beat them by 28 earlier in the year. Prestonwood over Lvw by 42? Seriously? Both these games will be close.

I just want to know who is making those spread predictions? Bay over Brazosport when Bazosport beat them by 28 earlier in the year. Prestonwood over Lvw by 42? Seriously? Both these games will be close.
Baytown is a different team than they were when they played Brazosport……

And I agree on the prestonwood one. It will be close.

Back