Tapps DII North

Mrcacalaca

11-man fan
What's everyone's take on the North? Are we gonna divide DII into two divisions or stay at one? Who are the teams to beat and who are the sleepers?

Outside of Waco Live Oaks??? ND is on a down year by the sounds of it...maybe if they go down to D3 in playoffs will they repeat the run to the finals. SOME, and I mean one person, doesn't believe in Shooting Stars---er, RISING. Someone mentioned Longview but they meant to say that on the Lobos board.

If they send Austin teams up north then we can get a little more discussion. Possibly San Marcus up north to bring in more interest.

I anticipate two brackets again this year. However, I could see TAPPS changing up what it considers a "small school" and a "large school." Who knows!?!? TAPPS has created a nightmare for themselves. Things will be fine as long as the same schools finish in the same order as last year. Let's say three "small" schools finish one-three but a "large" school finishes last in district play. No last place team is allowed in. Who is gonna fill that "large" school spot in that bracket? NIGHTMARE!!!

HEY TAPPS- LET'S GO BACK TO ONE BRACKET AND NOT EVERYONE GETS IN. A PROPER 16 TEAM BRACKET MAKES DISTRICT PLAY MORE MEANINGFUL AND THE STATE CHAMP HAS EARNED IT IN THE END.

Sorry- got a little sidetracked there. If we have two brackets again I see Live Oak and New Braunfels in a third rematch in December. Castle Hills and San Marcos could be the other two in the semis.

"Division III" has more possibilities. Baytown, Freddy, Seguin, WFND possible final four. Oh wait! Baytown, Freddy and Seguin will pound on each other and only one will survive. WFND will be in prime position to make it back to the dance again in a weak half of their bracket.

Well said on a few things.. I understand the watered down piece, however I would like to speak from an AD instead of a coach's opinion. My struggle in a district like Live Oak who has 100 kids in with BVL with 30 kids in high school. Victory made the moved to TCAF and I think Faustina took their spot in that district. In that case, I do think you should have a big school/small playoffs. Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of taking 4 teams to the playoffs out of 5. Sometimes to make the bracket work it ends up that way. We have 5A and 4A schools playing 6man football. I do understand they have low football numbers. Fort Worth Calvary and(2a-3a schools) Muenster Sacred Heart play 11 man football with 17-20 year in and year out. They are usually in the discussion of a district championship every year too. We at Wichita Christian have an extremely competitive district this year. I would like to see only 3 go to the playoff but that is just my opinion, and I don't have any say whatsoever. Again, I think the thought process of big school/small school and then a D I bracket is a good idea. We just need to keep teams in our league fielding 6man teams year in and year out.

I like three divisions, but I like to see 80 teams play 6 man ball. Will we get to that point? We have several schools in the last 2-3 years that made the moved to TCAF. TCAF is good little league and caters to the smaller school. TAPPS will still be the king in Texas in the private sector in my opinion and that won't change anytime soon. For what it is worth UIL and TAPPS are both a top 10 league/organization in the entire country.

DI 30
DII 25
DIII 25

I think there is definitely some watered down teams in the 3 bracket system, however there was also still plenty of great football to watch. Just look at my Knights' run last year barely squeaking by a feisty Weatherford Christian, coming out on top in a thriller versus NCTA in the semis, and going the distance with a Baytown squad in the state final that was among the most talented 6-man teams in the state.

If they stick with one bracket in DII, I'm OK with it. It would definitely be a challenge for smaller schools with low football numbers to compete with the Waco Live Oaks of the world, but you never know...any given Friday night and all that.

Back