Taking the traffic off “When will we have football?”

topher800":yiyklyim said:
My goodness.. I apologize... holy crap 20 million... I think you are right, we are in dire need of PPE!!! :)

Okay so I guess this is where we are going to discuss Tex's claim that the 'rona is hoax....
Topher, A real Canadian would have a much better idea about weapons than that. And I remember many Canadians as refusing to register their recreational toys too. So who are you really?? Starting to think you are a political instigator? How is that mutilated pinky doing?

Thumb, its better thank god. The amount of blood that spurted out when the knife slipped... holy moly.

I was born and raised in a mining town in northern Ontario. Irish immigrant Dad had a shotgun, used it once hunting in 1972 and put it away until he died in 1995. I gave it to my cousin in the late 90s. For that reason, I know absolutely nothing about guns.... don't know fishing really either. But ask me about hockey lololol ;)

While I don't think it is a hoax at all, Topher posted some numbers a few weeks ago that simply cannot be correct. Feel free to help me Topher, but the US had 64,000 cases, Italy + England + France had a few thousand each, and every other country he posted had a few hundred, including England and Sweden that did not shut down when we shut down. Common sense, folks.

Honestly, I think Trump is going to win pretty big. I just don't see how people in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, and Ohio that had their businesses destroyed or neighbors destroyed by thugs will vote Democrat. Heck, I know this will sound crazy, but I think Washington and Oregon might be in play. Although I know what the polls says, COVID isn't anyone's fault in the US while those big city liberal mayors want to defund police and let people destroy private property.

Once again, I've been using https://corona.help/ to track the local cases here and it is pretty accurate. It can be off by a few but usually corrects itself within a few days. I cannot speak to the numbers in the USA. I will say that from talking to my Aunt and Uncle in Mississippi and Louisiana, we shutdown a lot more than they did in those states.... and our re-opening was a lot slower as well. I know my relatives in Europe said that their covid lockdown experience was almost total for several months. That might be a reason for the differences?? I really don't know to be honest...

November will be interesting to say the least.... the next 90 days or so are going to be quite the rollercoaster!

Topher, that's a great talking point. The problem is England and Sweden social distanced late and maybe not at all. How can they have such few cases? There is something fishy going on with those numbers, to the point I think Tex's explanation makes the most sense until someone comes up with something better. Not sure if Sweden and England used "Trump's drug" or our media is inflating the numbers, but either way these numbers do not pass the common sense.

I heard a story on the radio about teachers taking body bags along with a self-wriiten obituary to the district office. Fear is driving this movement more than actual danger.

TebowTime15":1iv4fxpz said:
Topher, that's a great talking point. The problem is England and Sweden social distanced late and maybe not at all. How can they have such few cases? There is something fishy going on with those numbers, to the point I think Tex's explanation makes the most sense until someone comes up with something better. Not sure if Sweden and England used "Trump's drug" or our media is inflating the numbers, but either way these numbers do not pass the common sense.

I heard a story on the radio about teachers taking body bags along with a self-wriiten obituary to the district office. Fear is driving this movement more than actual danger.

No idea about England and Sweden cause my relatives dont live there. Even if the numbers in the USA are "off"... there is no way that they are off by millions. Fact is, the response by the governments both federal and state haven't been good enough. Plus its the attitude that smokey said "I'm American, we're the best and Imma do whatever the heck I want" doesn't help during a pandemic. :(

The drama of the teachers in Florida is 100% to get media attention. But if it ain't safe to hold an election how come schools can be open? I saw the GDP took a huge nosedive so I'm assuming that was POTUS' reason for talking about the mail in fraud thing. Gotta divert attention, Obama, Dubya, Slick Willie all would have done the same thing... diversion in politics ain't blue or red.

I actually wish I knew more about firearms to be honest.... lots of my friends were avid hunters with their parents and it is something I totally missed out on.

topher800":346ilhgu said:
TebowTime15":346ilhgu said:
Even if the numbers in the USA are "off"... there is no way that they are off by millions.

If states and local jurisdictions are being compensated for the number of cases they have then absolutely they will pad their stats. And by the millions.

JasonTX":2c1fk34t said:
topher800":2c1fk34t said:
If states and local jurisdictions are being compensated for the number of cases they have then absolutely they will pad their stats. And by the millions.

And if the numbers aren't off? What then?

If the Dems were in power right now, would you all still think that the 'rona is completely overblown or would you be calling for Hillary's head? Just wondering....

topher800":234vyih6 said:
TebowTime15":234vyih6 said:

No idea about England and Sweden cause my relatives dont live there. Even if the numbers in the USA are "off"... there is no way that they are off by millions. Fact is, the response by the governments both federal and state haven't been good enough. Plus its the attitude that smokey said "I'm American, we're the best and Imma do whatever the heck I want" doesn't help during a pandemic. :(

The drama of the teachers in Florida is 100% to get media attention. But if it ain't safe to hold an election how come schools can be open? I saw the GDP took a huge nosedive so I'm assuming that was POTUS' reason for talking about the mail in fraud thing. Gotta divert attention, Obama, Dubya, Slick Willie all would have done the same thing... diversion in politics ain't blue or red.

I actually wish I knew more about firearms to be honest.... lots of my friends were avid hunters with their parents and it is something I totally missed out on.

Can you be specific as to how the U.S. has not "done enough" to prevent the spread of COVID? How has Canada been superior to us? Truth is, without a cure, all you can do is wash your hands, avoid big groups, I guess wear a mask, and pray.

topher800":1u7zn1lz said:
JasonTX":1u7zn1lz said:
topher800":1u7zn1lz said:

And if the numbers aren't off? What then?

If the Dems were in power right now, would you all still think that the 'rona is completely overblown or would you be calling for Hillary's head? Just wondering....

Candidate Obama did say in a campaign speech that the tide would recede if he became president....

TebowTime15":1mf9i1wr said:
Can you be specific as to how the U.S. has not "done enough" to prevent the spread of COVID? How has Canada been superior to us? Truth is, without a cure, all you can do is wash your hands, avoid big groups, I guess wear a mask, and pray.

That is a very detailed question... I think it's more the different mindset than anything else. Schools in Ontario are opening in September with online classes also available and out of all the parents/friends I've spoken too in the past few days, only one couple is comfortable sending their children back into school. Most people don't want schools open despite the fact that we have less than 500 people a day in the entire country testing positive. We know a second wave is coming having flattened the curve of our first wave and it may start in the schools. Those are tiny numbers compared to California, Florida, etc., Obviously there is the exception to the rule, and my city has had several arrests for "mask rage", but the few times I have been out of the house in the last month, virtually everyone is wearing a mask, everyone keeps six feet apart from each other, and the mindset here is "keep it all closed, damn the consequences to the eoonomy" until we have a good handle on this. Is it the right way? From an economic standpoint it will be disasterous but most Canadians would say that keeping people healthy and alive is more important than anything. One my childhood friends' business has gone bankrupt and he is extremely upset but talking to him, he is thankful that none of his employees got sick or died. Hence our staunch defense of our universal healthcare system. Despite all of its inherent faults, rich or poor, it is something we truly pride ourselves in.... again a much different mindset and something that my relatives in Mississippi just can't wrap their heads around because we have to wait a month for an MRI when they can get one the next day under their private insurance in Biloxi.

Per million people here we have had 3,080 cases and 237 deaths (again per 1,000,000)
in the USA per million its 14,207 cases and 473 deaths.

Cited from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

topher800":19v2a923 said:
TebowTime15":19v2a923 said:

That is a very detailed question... I think it's more the different mindset than anything else. Schools in Ontario are opening in September with online classes also available and out of all the parents/friends I've spoken too in the past few days, only one couple is comfortable sending their children back into school. Most people don't want schools open despite the fact that we have less than 500 people a day in the entire country testing positive. We know a second wave is coming having flattened the curve of our first wave and it may start in the schools. Those are tiny numbers compared to California, Florida, etc., Obviously there is the exception to the rule, and my city has had several arrests for "mask rage", but the few times I have been out of the house in the last month, virtually everyone is wearing a mask, everyone keeps six feet apart from each other, and the mindset here is "keep it all closed, damn the consequences to the eoonomy" until we have a good handle on this. Is it the right way? From an economic standpoint it will be disasterous but most Canadians would say that keeping people healthy and alive is more important than anything. One my childhood friends' business has gone bankrupt and he is extremely upset but talking to him, he is thankful that none of his employees got sick or died. Hence our staunch defense of our universal healthcare system. Despite all of its inherent faults, rich or poor, it is something we truly pride ourselves in.... again a much different mindset and something that my relatives in Mississippi just can't wrap their heads around because we have to wait a month for an MRI when they can get one the next day under their private insurance in Biloxi.

Per million people here we have had 3,080 cases and 237 deaths (again per 1,000,000)

Cite what you want from where you want, but the books are being cooked in the US. Health organizations are being paid to report as many Covid deaths as possible so all of the US numbers are skewed. Yes they take the money regardless of the effect on the Media blitz. Americans like a few dollars more just like those other corrupt countries. Go figure. Garbage in, Garbage out. If they play with the numbers more people wring their hands and cry for relief. I read where one lady was suspicious of the Covid death rate in New York City and compared the normal death rate data in NYC from the last few years and the amount of deaths was not appreciably different from previous years, just being reported as Covid for political purposes. Keep Coumo happy, its all politics. Interesting point was that early in the Pandemic Coumo had the Covid patients placed in nursing homes instead of in quarantined hospital settings. So the exposed nursing home patients died and made for more good press. Make Trump look bad. You are comparing apples to oranges. Canada and US have completely different health systems. Ours is built on greed.

Ok Topher lets be factual as well as fair in our comparisons. The population in Canada or lack thereof cannot be compared to the U S population, especially when it comes to the high density population centers. COVID thrives and spreads in high density centers. Just a few big cities in the US have more people than Canada in all it’s cities and provinces. So if you have the time to go back and relate the sparsely populated areas of the US, I think you will find relational ratios that are not so grossly overstated.
Italy was hit so hard early because it has an entirely different social structures where several generations live in the same household.
So unless we all have the time to go back and “run the numbers” neither side claim to be correct. Obviously the high density cities will have higher ratios and numbers than Throckmorton County.
Just saying.....,,......

Okay, I was just making a point that our strange ways have made a difference with regards to Covid. That combined with our population has helped incredibly. No arguments here. I wanted to add in my post earlier that our governmnet hasn't politicized the 'rona like America has.... christ I'm glad I didn't. lololol

Do any of you think there will be a time where the idea of "we're the best, we'll do what we want when we want" ever changes? Whether you choose to believe it or not, the United States of America is losing its grip on it being the world's greatest superpower and the greatest nation on earth. Before you decide to make me your prison girlfriend for saying that, I said losing its grip, not already lost its grip. ;) Hence why Trump ran the platform of "Make America Great Again" cause even he realized it wasn't so awesome. There is still time to MAGA but that window is slowly closing...

And now TikTok is done? I get it, Chinese spy app... whatever. Is he still pissed about Tulsa and how "TikTok teens" embarrassed him? Seems kinda petty.... but besides the point, all social media is spy crap.... get rid of it all Donald!! Save us!!! :)

Very interesting timing by the POTUS.... plus he just pissed off every American kid from age 18 to 30.... but they don't vote anyway lololol

topher800":2w580adn said:
TebowTime15":2w580adn said:

I would caution putting any stock in that site; originally, they figured the death rate by subtracting the people who recovered from the total. This means that they considered a person with COVID as "dead" until they passed the recovery standard. In early March, Texas had a 100% death rate.

As far as the Canada stuff, I'm not going to say you are totally wrong. Whenever I went out in public in the Austin area around mid March to May, however, I saw most people wearing masks, waiting in line at the grocery store, and social distancing. I really think the increase in cases started 2 to 3 weeks after George Floyd's death when protesters, whether peaceful or not, got in large groups.

We'll see what happens in November, but I just don't see how people chose anarchy and deception over the truth. Trump is to blame for COVID as much as Obams is to blame for SARS, Bush is to blame for Katrina, or Clinton is to blame for 9/11.

topher800":39vg34wr said:
Okay, I was just making a point that our strange ways have made a difference with regards to Covid. That combined with our population has helped incredibly. No arguments here. I wanted to add in my post earlier that our governmnet hasn't politicized the 'rona like America has.... christ I'm glad I didn't. lololol

Do any of you think there will be a time where the idea of "we're the best, we'll do what we want when we want" ever changes? Whether you choose to believe it or not, the United States of America is losing its grip on it being the world's greatest superpower and the greatest nation on earth. Before you decide to make me your prison girlfriend for saying that, I said losing its grip, not already lost its grip. ;) Hence why Trump ran the platform of "Make America Great Again" cause even he realized it wasn't so awesome. There is still time to MAGA but that window is slowly closing...
Topher, I'm sure that your perception is due to the non stop bashing of Trump and the negative press toward anything remotely uniquely American. The American Media is in love with any foreign country trying to sneak some illegals and viruses across our borders. But you have a good point. The only problem is where is there a good filter to remove the trash and deliberate falsehoods being spread.. Unfortunately there isn't one. The democrats are relying on the old adage : If you can't dazzle them with brilliance then baffle them with BS. Lots of people are getting use to the latter and believing it.

OK let's put aside COVID for a minute and talk about health care.

The is a quote from topher:
Despite all of its inherent faults, rich or poor, it is something we truly pride ourselves in.... again a much different mindset and something that my relatives in Mississippi just can't wrap their heads around because we have to "wait a month for an MRI" when they can get one the next day under their private insurance in Biloxi.

Ok waiting a month for the MRI may not be life threating but what about the young lady (35-39 year old) that develops breast cancer. They could have to wait months for additional testing. Depending on the cancer even 2 or 3 months could be to late. I really don't care if greed is driving our health care system, and I do not believe it is. If a family member can get the treatment needed to fight breast cancer in the time frame needed then it is worth the cost. Rather help pay some medical bills, knowing there is a chance of survival rather than funeral expenses which are rather final.

Don't start throwing this back in my face that the COVID deaths are the same because they are not. I am talking about private health care vs Govt provided "health" care. The people in Canada may really like their system but then they may not know there are other ways that might be better.

oldergoat":247js1lo said:

Despite all of its inherent faults, rich or poor, it is something we truly pride ourselves in.... again a much different mindset and something that my relatives in Mississippi just can't wrap their heads around because we have to "wait a month for an MRI" when they can get one the next day under their private insurance in Biloxi.

Ok waiting a month for the MRI may not be life threating but what about the young lady (35-39 year old) that develops breast cancer. They could have to wait months for additional testing. Depending on the cancer even 2 or 3 months could be to late. I really don't care if greed is driving our health care system, and I do not believe it is. If a family member can get the treatment needed to fight breast cancer in the time frame needed then it is worth the cost. Rather help pay some medical bills, knowing there is a chance of survival rather than funeral expenses which are rather final.

Don't start throwing this back in my face that the COVID deaths are the same because they are not. I am talking about private health care vs Govt provided "health" care. The people in Canada may really like their system but then they may not know there are other ways that might be better.

That's a darn good point, Oldergoat! Sweden has a system similar to Canada that liberals in the U.S., especially Bernie Sanders, cite as evidence that government run healthcare can work in the United States. That system works so much better in smaller countries with more homogeneous populations because they tend to all agree "on the common good" as Topher pointed out. Heck, we can't even agree if people protesting are peaceful or violent.

While I'm not that old, I've been through the U.S. healthcare system more than I care to remember. If someone could price each medical procedure without factoring in profit, I think that information could be used to create a price menu, similar to a fast food restaurant, that consumers could use as a base for making decisions. Most people know a fastfood hamburger costs about $3 and about $6 for a combo meal. Medical procedures vary drastically and are computed in an arbitrary and capricious manner.

Right now, the insurance companies and doctors's offices are so cryptic about how much stuff costs because they both profit from it. I think healthcare will take a little more government oversight than most businesses because the demand will always be there, so I think we should make sure doctors make most of the profits, you know the guys with talent, and kick insurance companies to the curb. Another helpful thing would be setting limitations on litigation or tort to help medical liability insurance go down for doctors.

oldergoat":7xnr2h37 said:

We know the risks in our system. There are places where you can go pay for one the next day but most people don't do that. Further, MRIs can be rushed by doctor and had the same day but thats fairly rare. I've only had that happen once... MRI the same day. Anywho, could our system be better? Of course. Would we trade it for the American health system? Not in a million years. Just like y'all wouldn't trade your system for ours. :)

Back