When will we have Football?

SWRaider

Six-man fan
In all seriousness, do you think UIL will have football as normal? Is it possible that football could be moved back to Feb/March?
Stuff is opening back up now, but what happens when the numbers rise and life is shut down again?

TAPPS is allowing member schools to start summer work outs on May 19. Hopefully things are starting to return to normal. It is also quite possible that the hot summer weather will kill off most of the virus.

I can see a lot of states not having football this year. States in the upper midwest that play 8-9 total games and then playoffs Covid-19 could hurt those communities. However, I do think Texas will somehow have it not sure what that looks like though. UIL makes a ton I mean A LOT of money off of football each year during the playoffs.

Thanks,

Coach Johnson

I once heard that football is so big in Texas that we'd play through nuclear fallout. If we think our economy has taken a hit up until now it would be nothing compared to the hit without football. Football is the backbone to the economy in Texas. I think you can link every profession in some way back to football.

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself." - Franklin Delano Roosevelt

How about switching baseball and football seasons? Trying to play baseball in February never made any sense and neither does football in August.

I think that is a great idea. I don’t see anyway UIL, TAPPS or anyone will be able to participate in a contact sport in a little over 5 weeks

I know of two schools where the school board has clearly decided that facilities will be shut down for ALL activities, adding that they don’t want the infection to be carried into their district. Furthermore they don’t want their kids going to another district and picking it up, returning to class and infecting other students in the district. No unnecessary bus travel etc.
Not a fun time for Superintdents and school boards. Dammed if you do, dammed if you don’t.

Let's just play. The impact to folks 35 and younger is negligible (per CDC stats) and 55 and under are at a lower risk. The highest impact is to those 75 and older. We need to take precautions for the older folk. I'm not quite 70 something yet but I am 62, and ready to get going! I know that is not the prevailing opinion but my opinion is it's about the kids, not me or the TEA, or others.

We should take every precaution for those 65+ but we need these kids to go build herd immunity, or this thing is just going to linger on and on. We didn't shut down in 1957 or 1968 with pandemics of a comparable magnitude.

I posted almost two months ago now thinking this would pass and we would for sure play. Now, I doubt we play, at least in August, since Governor Abbott is worried about the hospitalization rate. While I agree with jimbarola's assertions, the UIL will not take any risks. Other people can decide whether it is good, bad, or indifferent.

The swapping fall and spring sounds like a great idea to me. Who cares what colleges do? If a stud does not play for his high school because he wants to move on to college, then more power to him or her. I'm more worried about the kids that will never put uniforms on again as long as they live, which is the vast majority of them.

Who knows what is the right thing to do? I'm not a doctor nor do I ever want to be one. All I can say is I feel for the kids if they do not get to play. It would have greatly upset me from ages 12 to 18+.

Good Evening,

Good discussion. I would be open to anything, but I am not sure what is best.

Questions I have:

When athletes test positive do we cancel school for 2-3 weeks? Games?? Remote learning for all?

In small gyms for volleyball if some spectator has Covid,and then is around 200 people they are all exposed. Sure we can screen like we do everyday at our school for our athletes regarding summer workouts with the non contact therm, but let's be honest they are on one system in that small gym. Breathing the same stuff.

What about a normal student at the school that tests positive for Covid the third week of school?

Cancel two or three football or volleyball games like I mentioned early? Do we make them up? Who is penalized the team that canceled because of a confirmed case in the school community. or.....

What if a member of the chain crew at a football game test positive Monday after a football game he worked? That guy was working my sidelines the entire game as I'm the visiting team last Friday. He is probably a dad or uncle of a boy on the home team.

Does the home team AD call the other school and both schools start canceling school?

Can officials change in the coaching office?

At the end of the day each school is going to do what they WANT and need to cover their backside. That is plain and simple and not much you or me could ever say to change their mind. Public and private schools cannot afford to be sued because of Covid. Here is Coach Johnson's one cent take as it will be extremely difficult for you as a parent to prove that it happened on my campus. You must prove neglect on my end as school. If my ducks are in a row it will be hard for anyone to prove this at any school establishment. If you decide you will take everyone's temperature you BETTER take everyone's temp. This is really an example of how you could be negligent.

[b]Here is the UGLY reality all students will continue to hang around their friends, family, and friends' family members and such. This is just going to be difficult to manage or even pinpoint once athletes are tested positive where and when and how . If 45 athletes out of 70 have Covid that is a problem and an athletic or school problem. If one tests positive send him/her home and move forward the best you while providing support for the family that is appropriate. [/b]

Lastly,

Limited the attendance for ball games and have staffing on sites with spray bottle, masks, and cleaning supplies. Have your tech class Facebook live stream the game for other spectators. Masks for fans if at line at concession stands. Workers need masks. It takes a village to raise a child, so it takes all hands on deck(at least open to serving) at each school to make this work. If you are crossing t's and dotting i's you will be fine. We need true leadership to rise to the top. Coaches and leadership we have a platform so let's use it the best we can.

After the Governor’s updates and modifications last week EVERYTHING changed, schools will be no different than workplaces RE: Liability. Parents will try to influence decisions but the Insurance and Legal liabilities will drive the bus.
Just sayin..........

This virus will either play out on it's own like SARS (and other illnesses of the past) did, we will get herd immunity, and/or there will be an effective vaccine in use. There seems to be some scientific evidence that COVID19 is mutating and weakening. If we wait for a vaccine I would guess that there will be no high school sports this year. The vast majority of kids aged 6-18 are pretty bulletproof according to research and statistics.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... /index.htm

I hope for the sake of of our kids and their physical and mental health that they will be playing sports this year.

Chinese Communist Party Virus infection/death rates

Attachments

• screenshot_2020-05-16-horowitz-one-chart-exposes-the-lie-behind-universal-lockdowns1.png
    49 KB · Views: 1,904
Back