Strawn improves to 4-2

Just watched Strawn play Sidney and I think Strawn can make it to the playoffs this year.

Being in this district, yes Strawn will at least make the first round of playoffs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230929_232706_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230929_232706_Samsung Internet.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 23
I was at the game tonight, on the 40 yard line about 4-5 rows below the press box. I could occasionally hear the Microplex News announcers but not understand them. Which sucked, because there was no stadium announcer. Especially in regards to at least 2-3 penalties I and many others either missed or didn't understand (several were much more vocal than I about them, one hit in particular).
But the Hounds did look better against a good Sidney team, hat's off to both. Strawn ran the ball hard and well, the blocking has improved the last few weeks and hopefully will continue to do so.
A playoff game is no sure thing. Newcastle has lost 1 game by 12 points to # 10 Jonesboro if I remember right, 45'd all others? Gold-Burg was undefeated until tonight. Congratulations to the Hounds on a big win.
There were mistakes I'm sure Coach Lee will address, and hopefully the Hounds will eliminate against Ranger and in the bye week. If they have a chance of getting out of district, as he said many years ago.

The running back for Strawn #3 was very impressive. The one thing that stood out for me when I watched last night was how big Strawn was on the OL/DL. They have that size that to wear down opponents. I liked what I saw. Solid team. Need to clean it up defensively as the kid from Sidney, I belive he was also #3, was able to do some damage running on them.

I was at the game tonight, on the 40 yard line about 4-5 rows below the press box. I could occasionally hear the Microplex News announcers but not understand them. Which sucked, because there was no stadium announcer. Especially in regards to at least 2-3 penalties I and many others either missed or didn't understand (several were much more vocal than I about them, one hit in particular).
But the Hounds did look better against a good Sidney team, hat's off to both. Strawn ran the ball hard and well, the blocking has improved the last few weeks and hopefully will continue to do so.
A playoff game is no sure thing. Newcastle has lost 1 game by 12 points to # 10 Jonesboro if I remember right, 45'd all others? Gold-Burg was undefeated until tonight. Congratulations to the Hounds on a big win.
There were mistakes I'm sure Coach Lee will address, and hopefully the Hounds will eliminate against Ranger and in the bye week. If they have a chance of getting out of district, as he said many years ago.
Being in this district Strawn will make the playoffs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230929_232706_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230929_232706_Samsung Internet.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 6
The running back for Strawn #3 was very impressive. The one thing that stood out for me when I watched last night was how big Strawn was on the OL/DL. They have that size that to wear down opponents. I liked what I saw. Solid team. Need to clean it up defensively as the kid from Sidney, I belive he was also #3, was able to do some damage running on them.
Yeah he was very good and this is his first game back from a wrist injury

The #20 Strawn & #19 Sidney game was fun to watch last Friday night. Sidney's QB had an arm & was a definite threat to run. They kept Strawn on their toes all night running a spread offense with some "sneaky twists." The Eagles held the score within come-back range until the 4th Qtr.

But they were up against Strawn's do-it-all big boy Robert Hinkson who was showing some surprising bursts of speed on TD's, the always speedy Jesse Corona, & the back-from-injury Sophmore RB who's confidently showing talent, speed, & vision making sure he followed the improving Strawn Block Brigade through to multiple TD's last night.

Yep, Coach Lee's Stamp is showing up on this team, & it's fun watching that come to fruition! The whole Team was more head's up focused & doing their jobs last night. Not mistake-free, but much improved from Week 1; wish I could name them all.

A large factor in Strawn's victory last night imo, is that they're in the great, solid condition it takes to finish strong & win FB games. Sidney wasn't dragging by any means, but near the end of 3rd Qtr & throughout the 4th, they weren't executing quite as well or quite as quickly as they were earlier. Still they scored once more in the 4th & never gave up.

But the characteristic Coach Lee "bought-into the Program" Greyhound team was still going strong in the 4th Qtr, which ultimately put them in charge of Sidney's double-threat QB. Plus, they were able to deploy that "hurry up" offense we saw so much of from the 2017/2018 Strawn State team, and they reeled in the W.

No doubt Coach Lee will have them ready to tangle with the #13 Newcastle Bobcats in their 1st District Game Oct 20th.

Yep, Coach Lee's Stamp is showing up on this team, & it's fun watching that come to fruition!

Ha, like 3 to 40, 22 to 3 and more. Mary had room to crow. Rock on Coach, if a 6 was a 9, I don't mind.

Wouldn’t bet on this district being easy as Newcastle is a top 10 team and real physical. Also Gold-Burg is no joke. This district should be fun to watch.
Newcastle ranked 13th
Strawn ranked 16th
Gold-burg ranked 21st.
Fotestburg ranked 38th
All Strawn needs is to beat 2 of these teams to make the playoffs.
I believe Strawn can win 2 of them if not all 3.

I re watched this game over the last two nights, with the commentary. They mentioned the ref's more than once which is unusual. Not signaling what a penalty was, seeming confused. As I mentioned above. "Especially in regards to at least 2-3 penalties I and many others either missed or didn't understand (several were much more vocal than I about them, one hit in particular)."
That one hit in particular was by #40 of Strawn on a KOR. I've re watched it several times. It is a form tackle, what I was taught, almost. In the early 70's it was put the crown of your helmet in his sternum, hitting as hard as you could, wrapping up, driving him backwards, to the ground. That's what he did with his shoulder per todays rules. A textbook tackle, a teaching moment on how to do it. It was not un sportsmanlike (thought they never said or signaled that, or anything else). Maybe Coaches, Ref's or others can tell me how I'm wrong.
Start watching at about 1:07 (1:05 for the full sequence, TD, XP miscue, KO penalty, re kick). Pause at 1:07:33 to see Coach Lee walking towards a ref with his arm out and mouth open, and. two assistants with their arms raised like what the heck? As another fan yelled, "come on ref, it's football!".

From what I can see, I think the H had a foul for unnecessary roughness, my guess is he thought that when he slammed him down into the ground, that is more force than needed to make the tackle. Without context stuff like this is hard to assess - what was the game like, had he been warned, etc. all factor into whether or not to throw the flag.

Are you saying he led with the crown of his helmet and made forcible contact? If so, that is textbook targeting.
No, not at all. From what I could see he led with his left shoulder, there heads were sided by side at/after impact. As Bobby implies it was a hard hit. But it was straight on, the runner was coming at him face to face, he was not picked up and slammed down. He was hit hard, straight on, stopped in his tracks and went backwards, down, with the tackler on top of him. #40 of Strawn was listed at 6'1'', 220 in DCTF. If the guy returning the kick weighed, just a wag here, 170, he was giving up 50 lbs. It still looks like a clean good tackle to me and did live when it happened. He wrapped him up and took him down, so the runner was down, not trying to get loose.

There are always judgement calls. And maybe he saw something different from his angle. You even mentioned he went down right on top of him, maybe he thought the player was driving him into the ground to punish him - we don't know. Chalk it up to a subjective call and moving on to the next play is all anyone can do.

After watching Strawn and Ranger last night. Strawn may be the best team in the district. Big , fast and block well. Lee has put his stamp on this team.

Back