sixmanfootball.com triva ••••

Roddy Maddox, 1973. Thank you Don Hardin/Lonestar Football Network although I read a reprinted article about Maddox/Cherokee not too long ago. Maybe on here? Something OBK dug up? Also, didn't Lyle Campbell go to an Ivy League school & play Linebacker on a scholarship? Didn't his dad go to TCU? Not sure if he played or if so got a ride or waked on. There were 2 Hicks brothers at RS over a 3-4 year period I think Jared & J???.......
I digress too much, HPD beat me to it.

HPD

I just wish I had the corn cob hat for that freezing game you guys played in Silverton in '94. Between that and the Championship game in Abilene, I thought you guys were bringing that horrible weather every time... at the Abilene game, I bought a hot dog at the concession during halftime and it was ice cold before I got to the field.

The corn cob was a fleecy bit of warmth I purchased from a guy selling them out of a duffle bag outside Memorial Stadium in Lincoln before a game about 9 years ago. I have never been able to find another. Other than the red 'N' on it, it is perfect is every way. It has started to stretch a bit, but does the trick on those 3 or 4 days a year when needed in central Texas. The kids have started taking a liking to it.

51eleven wrote:
> Also, didn't Lyle Campbell go to an
> Ivy League school & play Linebacker on a scholarship? Didn't his dad
> go to TCU?

Lyle played at Dartmouth

smokeyjoe53 wrote:
> How about David Davis, Loop Longhorns, TAMU punter

I can't believe I forgot about him. He'd kick the ball off and split the uprights. That kinda does away with the possibility of big return.

He was a hell of a good linebacker too. I still shudder when I think about the way he kicked my butt 20+ years ago.

Granger, had you been in Levelland in 95, you would have had to make a fire from the famed corn cob hat. 26 degrees at kickoff, wind out of north 20-25 with gusts. Luckily no moisture. Wife won that one by making a 5 gallon cooler full of chicken broth. Down a touchdown at half and got the players stripped off and got broth down them. K scored after half for us to go down two touchdowns and then ended up ending game by 45 in the fourth quarter. Never saw anything like it.

High Plains Drifter wrote:
> Gonna go with Roddy Maddox and the year 1973
I was thinking earlier than that. I didn't say state title.
Never mind, I forgot that they had to forfeit their playoff wins in 1969 due to ineligible player. I was trying to get Billy Jones a mention. He was Roddy's head coach before Cherokee started their runs.

Ole "Gosh Darn Roddy" attributes a lot of his success to Coach Jones.

High Plains Drifter wrote:
> True. Did not Billy die during the year and that is when Roddy became
> coach. Seems he had stud player named Charley Grey or Gray.
I really think Billy passed away in the summer while harvesting wheat but I'm not sure. You're right about Charley Gray. He was quick and fast. I think he ran a sub 10 - 100. His dad, J.D., was a calf roper and he could scoot down the string pretty fast as well. I seem to recall Charley and J.D. pulling their boots off and running a match race against a quarterhorse at the Fredricksburg Fair one year.
Last I heard Charley was in Alaska.
Don't know where the '69 Trophy resides. Next time I see Roddy I'll ask.

"Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect."
Benny Hill

Cherokee's running back the first year that thay won state was Manuel Beltran. Charley Grey graduated in 1970. But Charley could run a 9.8 100....yards.

Trinadad had a big kid that played on Baylor D-line back when they were really pretty bad.

Roddy also swore that Beltran was the best to ever play the game. I have my own favorite, but Beltran was plenty, plenty handy. Saw him play against Marathon a couple of times. I am thinking he passed away at a fairly young age. Great loss.

Roddy had some really good players and always got a lot of the players he had. Plus, he and James could coach a tad.

How great to me that he got to coach his grandson.

By the way, if anybody thinks it was a cakewalk for Ft. Hancock because of great athletes, coaches etc., just ask Richland Springs how difficult it really is to 3-peat.

justobserving":3f682qe8 said:
OK - here is another.

Name any school that has won 3 or more consecutive State Titles ... and the dates....

You said any, so at the risk of ridicule for not being sixman I’m going to mention these because I live in the vicinity of (4A) La Marque and (3A) Sealy and I think it’s interesting. From ’95 thru ’97 La Marque won 3 in a row, and from ’93 thru ’98 they were in 6 consecutive state championships. They lost to Stephenville in ’93, ’94 and ’98. All of their wins came against Denison, and Stephenville had two titles in a row on both ends of the La Marque wins. In this same timeframe Sealy won 4 in a row from ’94 thru ’97, then lost in the finals in ’99.

Back