sixmanfootball.com triva ••••

1999 - 2000. A great year. Worked for the legendary Charlie Boggess. I share that Alamo Heights mule past with one Granger Huntress. Different time periods, but once a mule, always a mule. MT-XE

In state, either ya'll have missed or I have, the Cuero Gobblers.

When Marc Davis, a WBAP talk show personality, first moved back to Texas. He brought with him a short cut, clip, or commercial refering to the "fighting proctologists" of John Hopkins University. I'm pretty sure it is a joke and is not their real mascot. But I still smile everytime mascots are brought up.

Ten years or so ago I took my trusted Dave Campbell's, turned to the Sixman section and toteled the number of each mascot. I was surprised to find an eagle led the list followed closely by bulldogs. I could do that again, but it just seems to be to much trouble to go to.

When I was a student at UT back in the mid to late 70's, there was an intramural basketball team from the English Dept. that called themselves the Cunning Linguists.

Old Bearkat":1cx0x516 said:
When I was a student at UT back in the mid to late 70's, there was an intramural basketball team from the English Dept. that called themselves the Cunning Linguists.

I caught myself actually laughing on loud on that..

I really don't get it? Care to explain?? >-<

Old Bearkat":2thuostc said:

hahahaha nearly fell off my chair.

markf":2m42gdnv said:
Old Bearkat":2m42gdnv said:

I caught myself actually laughing on loud on that..

I really don't get it? Care to explain?? >-<

biggrin.gif

Seeing as my father is a D3 college coach, Ive come across a ton of unusual nicknames. Theres his own McDaniel College Green Terror, theres the Scottsdale Comm College Fighting Artichokes (Go Chokes), the Tufts Jumbos, the Rowan Profs, OH Wesleyan Battling Bishops, Wabash Little Giants, and the Hiedelberg Student Princes just to name a few.

This is not a really about mascots but I remember reading Dan Rather's autobiography concerning his time in college. It seems Mr. Rather attended Sam Houston State and recounted the story of some earlier students getting into trouble by placing the then initials of the Sam Houston Institute for Teachers on sweatshirts. It seems the president of the college failed to find that amusing.

smokeyjoe53":24bg2wdo said:
This is not a really about mascots but I remember reading Dan Rather's autobiography concerning his time in college. It seems Mr. Rather attended Sam Houston State and recounted the story of some earlier students getting into trouble by placing the then initials of the Sam Houston Institute for Teachers on sweatshirts. It seems the president of the college failed to find that amusing.

Stevens Hoboken Institute of Technology is another one.

MAN!!
You guys have really been getting after it!!
I just got my classroom computer up about an hour ago.

Hey!
I wonder who it was
that started a mascot topic last year?
(he asked knowingly) :)

I missed you guys.
Hope everyone who wants to work, is.

Dogface":3r6p5t5b said:
MAN!!
You guys have really been getting after it!!
I just got my classroom computer up about an hour ago.

Hey!
I wonder who it was
that started a mascot topic last year?
(he asked knowingly) :)

I missed you guys.
Hope everyone who wants to work, is.
fraky-dog-face.jpg

Why I do believe it was old Canine Countenance himself.
In my case it is not wanting to work but having to on occasion.

markf":apqz8xhz said:
Fort Worth Masonic Home “Mighty Mites”

Think the school is closed??

The Masons sold the school grounds a couple years back and closed the joint down. They actually were TAPPS members for a number of years ... I remember our girls buckets team beat them in an area game at Troy HS (2001?). They became a charter school and joined UIL.

I understand there was a fairly vocal group of alumni that fought the closing and sale of the school, but there weren't that many orphans left ...

justobserving":2orqbehk said:
granger wrote:
> JO... do you think some of the newbies would understand any corn cob hat
> references... Not sure I can even wear it anymore considering the
> circumstances, but it sure is comfy... I was given a nice orange one today

Ah the "corncob hat".. Hadn't thought of that one in a while - pleasant and fun memories there.. Thanks I needed that.....

Ah yes markf - remember that game well. Mr. Ehtridge played his heart out and just ran out of time and gas .....

Amazing update... youngest found the corn cob hat this weekend while cleaning out his dresser. I may need to don it at a game this postseason. It has been years. Still comfy

Back