Sixman trivia

I have no idea how to answer this one, but it would be great if someone else could.

In the last 10 years, of all the teams that WON the State Championship, what percentage primarily ran the spread.
I guess primarily would be more than 50% of the time?

OBK, they came to the "Springs". Ha 14-8, a barn burner. As to the question about spread teams, this probably should be in ancient history, but in 94, there was a big sign that said "The Spread is Dead". Neither team ran spread, which was a rarity in itself. One did a little the next year. Ha

A certain great, great coach (who oneday and granger interviewed last year) really wanted to make the center ineligible to eliminate the spread. Goldurn Spread.

Not that I have the answer or can be trivial with it.

What coach brought the spread to the table and when?

Unanswerable. The spread formation and variations on it have been around since the 1930s when the game was invented. It is diagramed in six-man football handbooks and manuals and magazine articles from the late 30s and through the 50s...I have a lot of them in my personal collection.

The Paint Creek Spread had a specific type of formation, and no one blocked ever, everyone went out for a pass, so run plays were really run option plays. The basic formation was kind of like the 5 side a die or domino with a center in the middle of the line...2 wide splits with the center inbetween, a Back directly behind the center about 5 yards, and 2 backs about 5 yards behind him in a T formation.

This reminds me...no one is even attempting the trivia questions I threw out (excluding the all star game question which hasnt been guessed correctly yet)...one involves who coached at Paint Creek during those years...he was a former pro player and died in a car crash...to hard I guess...

I interviewed a former player that played on those Paint Creek teams in the 50s (there's a hint for yall) Rudy Raughton, who was one of their stars, he diagramed and explained it to me. Raughton made the all star basketball team and his wife, who went to school at Avoca, was inducted into the Big Country Hall of Fame this past year...star basketball player I believe she was. Rudy played baseball at Baylor.

I would guess but my feeble mind is over whelmed with the rudeness of people in San Angelo. I think I am still reeling from being threatened by a guy who ran a yield sign and then rolled down his weapon and voiced his displeasure. Ha I feared for my life. Ha Guess no one ever told him old people will kill your ass.

#51":1qre8veq said:
Not that I have the answer or can be trivial with it.

Was it the Buckholts Spread from the 60's?
Don't know exactly
what kind of configuration it was.
They had an incredible run of victories
right after they started runnin' it!

The spread formation has been ran since the game was invented in 1934-35, so by the time it came to Texas in 1936-38 I PROMISE you someone was running it, so no Buckholts did not invent the spread...several teams ran the spread then including Star. I have interviewed guys who played back in 1938 and in the 40s and they ran spread formations some of the time...

I think it is funny how people have always asked who was the first to run this or that formation and credit schools and coaches for doing it but i promise you it's all been done before!

In fact there is a coach in the Hall of Fame credited with "inventing" an offensive formation that I have undeniable proof he didn't and it was being ran by other coaches in Texas at least 10 years before this guy coached his first game.

I have film of the 1956 Regional Championship Game of Norton v Sidney and Norton ran a type of spread part of the time...

Not sure if this is "trivia" or not, but I'm curious on how/when/why the numebr of points for the mercy rule was chosen to be 45. Why not 40 or 50, or a number divisible by 6,7, or 8 (points you can score with a TD/PAT)?

As far as "invented". I thought the spread came from 11 man. The Masonic Home Mithty Mites in the late 1920's or early 30's, Coach Rusty ______. That's how they overcame their normal 20-30-40 # size disadvantage. They force the defense to cover sideline to sidelne and created gaps. The spread and they're year round practices, conditioning, toughness and attitude.

Some one may can answer this, but I seem to remember that in the early to mid-60's there was no mercy rule. Could be dreaming, but do not think there was. Another little fact, I do know was there was no fair catch in sixman around that time. If you had a punter who had some hang time it was katy bar the door. Ha

Of course, there was not supposed to be any handoffs, everyone did, and in a blue moon, it got called.

51eleven":1f8vs4ft said:
As far as "invented". I thought the spread came from 11 man. The Masonic Home Mithty Mites in the late 1920's or early 30's, Coach Rusty ______. That's how they overcame their normal 20-30-40 # size disadvantage. They force the defense to cover sideline to sidelne and created gaps. The spread and they're year round practices, conditioning, toughness and attitude.

The Fort Worth Masonic Home Mighty Mites ended their history in six man football; when I started getting involved with TAPPS around 2000, they were TAPPS members (in fact, I remember our girls buckets team beating them 41-40 in a playoff game, maybe 2001 or 2000, at Troy HS) before becoming a charter school and re-joining UIL before the Masons sold the place for a parking lot or whatever it became ...

Strawn still played the Mites a couple of times at least into the 2000's. They kicked a lot of bigger teams butts from the late 20's to early 40's in 11 man. They were the "big game" in town. Tied Corsicana 0-0 for state one year, were denied the chance to play for state another year by the UIL. They started by practicing with no ball. They didn't have one. Coach Rusty _____ bet the Mineral Wells coach, if we win can we keep the ball? for their first one.
I can still see the old Home on the hill in my mind's eye passing by on the highway through Fort Worth. Alway's felt grateful not to have to live there.

The 03 state game set a record (for that time) for combined point's scored. Who was the leading rusher, how many yard's? Second leading rusher?

Few years back got to see Fort Worth Masonic Home,play Trinidad
at Trinidad,We sat on Masonic Home side,me and about 8 others
Made me sad,,,i remember the Mighty Mites losing very bad,But what
really did stick out,was their coach,,The Man was always encouraging
the kids,,he was coaching his heart out,,The man never gave up,,thats what the kids needed..Whats this got to do with sixman trivia? I don't Know!! lol

Back