Sixman trivia

jc_30":lymtw2c6 said:
Just to throw this out there, Fort Hancock has a banner that claims 70 straight wins "2nd longest in the nation" in 1992. It hangs at the north end of their Gym.
I've had a couple others correct me on this one. Thanks to all who did.

oneday":3j6hesgv said:
Funny joke...and told you it was 70 or 71...

And are there no takers on my 3 trivia questions??? (4 questions if you count Beltran's jersey number)

Thought yall would be up for a challenge

If anyone gets it correct I will give you a dvd of one of the state games played in the 1980s...winners pick (minus 1986 bc I don't have that one)
I'm looking for the answers. These questions are taking a lot of research.

oneday wrote:"3. What year was the first Texas Six-Man Coaches Association Football All-Star Game played? And where was it played at?"Part 1 is 1975 don't know where but a WAG would be Brownwood.

Was the Sixman Coaches Association called something else in the 50s and 60s? There were sixman and eightman allstar games held during the same week and in the same town as far back as 1953, probably longer than that.

The Six and Eight man Coaches Association was a roaming nomad for much of its infancy. It was held at various locales, Cisco and I think Corpus among others and yes, Abilene. A haphazard group, many times the officers and directors cosigned notes to fund the activities. Uniforms were used from year to year and trainers unheard of. The awards to the players in most cases were small plastic footballs or basketballs, much as you see on mums at homecoming. They survived mainly on good fortune and good weather. For many years they were one rain out away from disaster.

They have come a long ways.

Here is another trivia question a little bit easier to find out:

In 1936 a cereal company featured six-man football plays introduced by different University coaches on the back of their boxes. There were a total of 6 different backs/plays and coaches.

1. What was the cereal?
2. Name all 6 coaches and their university.

Believe it or not it was Wheaties and the coaches were Bernie Bierman, Red Dawson, Tiny Hollingsberry, Andy Kerr, Ossie Solem and Tiny Thornhill.

Bernie Bierman University of Minnesota
Andrew Kerr Colgate University
Ossie Solem Iowa
Red Dawson University of Pittsburgh Tulane
Tiny Thornhill Stanford Temple University
Tiny Hollingsberry ???????

Easy one. Semi 6man question. Since Rule is now 6man. What famous 11m coach took his 1st job there after College for $900 a year with $1 a month taken out for retirement and 5% to the company in Abilene that found him the job. Hint: other 6man connection, Granger was in the press box with him at a state semi in his "own" stadium.

51eleven":2km7y0us said:
Easy one. Semi 6man question. Since Rule is now 6man. What famous 11m coach took his 1st job there after College for $900 a year with $1 a month taken out for retirement and 5% to the company in Abilene that found him the job. Hint: other 6man connection, Granger was in the press box with him at a state semi in his "own" stadium.

Gordon Wood

Back