Rigdon v ethridge

Thought I would post some numbers

In state title games only

Tyler Ethridge - 3 games: 572 yards rushing, 815 yards passing, 13 TDs scored, 12 TD passes; def ?

Grayson Rigdon - 2 games: 477 yards rushing, 247 yards passing, 45 yards receiving,10 TDs scored, 6 TDs passes; tackles-14 solo, 12 ast

---
Ben Crockett - 2 games: 592 yards rushing, 335 yards passing, 2 yards receiving, 13 TDs scored, 6 TD passes; tackles- 22 solo, 3 ast

I will make another post with a few other candidates who's stats are incomplete (Miles, Richey, Beltran, Ramirez)

Tyler Ethridge - 3 games: 572 yards rushing, 815 yards passing, 13 TDs scored, 12 TD passes; def ?

Grayson Rigdon - 2 games: 477 yards rushing, 247 yards passing, 45 yards receiving,10 TDs scored, 6 TDs passes; tackles-14 solo, 12 ast

---
Ben Crockett - 2 games: 592 yards rushing, 335 yards passing, 2 yards receiving, 13 TDs scored, 6 TD passes; tackles- 22 solo, 3 ast

I will make another post with a few other candidates who's stats are incomplete (Miles, Richey, Beltran, Ramirez)
Cripes! :oops:

I know this is a Rigdon or Ethridge topic but since he has been brought up....

Dewayne Miles: 6'2, 215, 427 bench, 4.6 40 (preseason time)

2 State Games: 579 yards rushing (420 in 1995), 11 rushing TDs, 1 KO return TD (9 total TDs in 1995 game)

"If Dewayne Miles continues to perform at such a ridiculous rate, we sports writers may stand accused of cooking up another Sidd Finch story." - Don Williams, Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, 12-1-1995 before Amherst's quarter-final game vs Sands. Look up Sidd Finch is you dont know who that was.

This is my opinion...My first state game was 1995 and I have seen no player in 6man who comes close to Miles as far as the best "Football Player"...now we can debate semantics between "great football player" vs "great 6MAN player"...I dont delineate between the two but a lot of people do which is fine. Beating Milford in 1994 was an upset, low scoring very cold night in Abilene. The 1995 Milford team was stacked one of the best teams in the 90s not to win a title all because of Miles.

---

Here is the tough thing about these stats. The results of each game effect that.
All 3 of TE games went all 4 qtrs. Granted the competition, especially those Rule teams were Salty.

Crockett
All of Crockets games went 4 qtrs

Rigdon
2022-Finished with 6:16 left in the 3rd Qtr 63% of the game
2021-Finished with 3:09 left in the 3rd Qtr 69% of the game.

If Rigdon had full games like these guys it would look more like
750 Rushing yds, 375 Passing Yards, 65 Receiving yds, 15 TD's Scored, 9 TD's Passing, 22 Solo, 19 Ast \

That would also be in 2 Games. This would make the results look like this on a per game basis.

TE-191 Rushing Yds, 272 Passing Yds 4.33 TD's Scored, 4 TD Passing
Crockett- 296 Rushing Yds, 167 Passing Yds, 6.5 TD's Scored, 3 TD's Passing 7.333 Solo Tkls, 1.5 Assists
Rigdon- 375 Rushing Yds, 187.5 Passing Yds, 7.5 TD's Scored, 4.5 Passing TD's, 11 Solo Tkls, 9.5 Asst Tackles

To throw another great name in for someone who 45'd both their opponents while winning state twice.
Denim Reeves(Adjusted for 4 qtrs/Per Game)-
Denim 385 Rushing Yds, 99 Passing Yds, 8 TD's Scored, 1 TD Passing

If anything is to be taken from this, Its that Rigdon is the most impressive player to play in the Six Man State Championship game.

Here is the tough thing about these stats. The results of each game effect that.
All 3 of TE games went all 4 qtrs. Granted the competition, especially those Rule teams were Salty.

Crockett
All of Crockets games went 4 qtrs

Rigdon
2022-Finished with 6:16 left in the 3rd Qtr 63% of the game
2021-Finished with 3:09 left in the 3rd Qtr 69% of the game.

If Rigdon had full games like these guys it would look more like
750 Rushing yds, 375 Passing Yards, 65 Receiving yds, 15 TD's Scored, 9 TD's Passing, 22 Solo, 19 Ast \

That would also be in 2 Games. This would make the results look like this on a per game basis.

TE-191 Rushing Yds, 272 Passing Yds 4.33 TD's Scored, 4 TD Passing
Crockett- 296 Rushing Yds, 167 Passing Yds, 6.5 TD's Scored, 3 TD's Passing 7.333 Solo Tkls, 1.5 Assists
Rigdon- 375 Rushing Yds, 187.5 Passing Yds, 7.5 TD's Scored, 4.5 Passing TD's, 11 Solo Tkls, 9.5 Asst Tackles

To throw another great name in for someone who 45'd both their opponents while winning state twice.
Denim Reeves(Adjusted for 4 qtrs/Per Game)-
Denim 385 Rushing Yds, 99 Passing Yds, 8 TD's Scored, 1 TD Passing

If anything is to be taken from this, Its that Rigdon is the most impressive player to play in the Six Man State Championship game.
You must not have watched much football in the past

thenation - fair point but I disagree with the take away very much so...Ethridge and Crockett faced tougher competition thus extending their games allowing for more stats that is true...but I would say that makes their performances more meaningful bc it was against tougher competition.

I was thinking that to your point looking at yards per touch would help show Ridgon's dominance in those games...which I might break down those 3 guys by yards per touch offensively. That would be the best way to evaluate the 3 (pass attempts + receptions + carries...this leaves out special teams unfortunately)

Also if you want to get in the weeds with it you could look at kickoffs and starting field position...onside kicks vs deep kicks...if you are facing a team who kicks onside all the time you have a shorter and more limited area to cover...easier but less yardage to be had...deep kicks harder but more yardage to gain stat wise.

Does anyone have Rigdon's stats from the Westbrook regular season game game in 2021?
Both Tyler Etheredge and Dewayne Miles played against the best. The Rule teams Tyler won against in 2006 and 2007 would have won state easily if it were not for TE and Richland Springs. They were state track champions both years when 6man still competed with 11 man schools in track.

Last edited:
I agree that both Grayson and TE are and were great sixman football talents, but Grayson's best team was the senior player heavy undefeated 2021 D2 state champion Strawn Greyhound team who beat both the 2021 D1 state champion Westbrook and the 2021 private state champion Fort Worth Covenant Classical team that season. No who would have or should have arguments to chew on, they beat two other state champs that season to be able to claim the best sixman team across all divisions including private schools. That feat will probably not ever be repeated.
Very true, Strawn was loaded with seniors/returners and add Grayson Rigdon and Griff Rigdon(3× all stater) they were very loaded. Grayson didn't play against FW covenant though or what I've heard.
The similarities Grayson and Tyler have are they played with stacked teams their freshman year. RS had 5/5 returning from a semifinalist team. Grayson had that with both Strawn and Benjamin(year 1). This year Grayson has carried his team. Benjamin 45d a tough Follett and McLean team this year. Made it to state. Has a chance to 3peat. Something TE can't say

Here is a mark in favor of Rigdon...I just did these 3 players and do note that the Tyler Ethridge stats I have are what was reported in the papers...one could go back and run stats from the game films (all of these are on youtube by the way) but I dont have the time to do that right now, if one of the RS gurus wants to correct me that would be welcomed.

Yards Per Offensive Touch: Offensive Touches (carries + pass attempts + receptions) divided by Yards of Total Offense (rushing yards + passing yards + receiving yards)

Tyler Ethridge - 3 games - 112 ots (offensive touches), 1,387 total yards = 12.383 ypt

Ben Crockett - 2 games - 88 ots, 929 total yards = 10.556 yptt

Grayson Rigdon - 2 games - 37 ots, 769 total yards = 20.783 ypt

I think best illustrates the point thenation is trying to make

NOTE - TE returned a kickoff 80 yards for a TD in the 2007 state game (I believe) he's the only one of the 3 to have a special teams TD...

I am not sure if Dewayne Miles caught a pass or threw a pass in his state games so just going off rushing stats (again games are on youtube for anyone wanting to run stats...I used what was reported in the papers)

1994 - 17 carries, 159 yards rushing (3 TDs)
1995 - 27 carries, 420 yards rushing (8 TDs...1 KO return for TD)

44 ots, 579 total yards = 13.159 yards per touch

2 State Games: 579 yards rushing (420 in 1995), 11 rushing TDs, 1 KO return TD (9 total TDs in 1995 game)

"If Dewayne Miles continues to perform at such a ridiculous rate, we sports writers may stand accused of cooking up another Sidd Finch story." - Don Williams, Lubbock Avalanche-Journal, 12-1-1995 before Amherst's quarter-final game vs Sands. Look up Sidd Finch is you dont know who that was.

This is my opinion...My first state game was 1995 and I have seen no player in 6man who comes close to Miles as far as the best "Football Player"...now we can debate semantics between "great football player" vs "great 6MAN player"...I dont delineate between the two but a lot of people do which is fine. Beating Milford in 1994 was an upset, low scoring very cold night in Abilene. The 1995 Milford team was stacked one of the best teams in the 90s not to win a title all because of Miles.
Miles is a player I would of love to seen. Have heard many stories about him. If anyone has game footage of his teams please share

Coach Rollins - 1995 2nd round playoff game vs Jayton, 394 yards rushing scored 9 TDs
Just search for 1995 Amherst on youtube

In 5 playoff games he rushed for 1,685 yards and scored 40 TDs...thats one division and against Jayton, Sands, Klondike, Milford all insanely good teams

the 427 bench cracks me up.. Im assuming its converted from KGs?

what hurts GR the most when it comes to comparing with the GOAT's (which he fully deserves to be in that conversation) is that the best team they have faced the last two years was loraine last year? Jayton this year? If he had done this in D1, which he probably was capable of doing similar numbers, then it would greatly increase his argument over the others.

the 427 bench cracks me up.. Im assuming its converted from KGs?

what hurts GR the most when it comes to comparing with the GOAT's (which he fully deserves to be in that conversation) is that the best team they have faced the last two years was loraine last year? Jayton this year? If he had done this in D1, which he probably was capable of doing similar numbers, then it would greatly increase his argument over the others.
As a freshman at Strawn in 2021 he played Westbrook, the wiiner of the D1 Championship.

Back