Ranking

Fblonghorn

11-man fan
I'm new to the site and look at the rankings. then see the current records and it looks to me that all concentration is on west tx schools as far as changes versus records and scores but then you go down the ranks and 0-4 teams are ahead of 3-1 teams.

Fblonghorn":h2s8lnlv said:
I'm new to the site and look at the rankings. then see the current records and it looks to me that all concentration is on west tx schools as far as changes versus records and scores but then you go down the ranks and 0-4 teams are ahead of 3-1 teams.

The rankings take into consideration the strength of schedule and the opponent you defeat. So take St. Jo a couple years back, finished the regular season undefeated. But they didn't play any team that was truly worth anything, so they never made much of a dent in the rankings, made it into the top 25, but not too high in it. Meanwhile if a team like Richland Springs or Throckmorton were to go 6-4 or 5-5 they are likely to still be ranked in the top 10 come playoff time because they generally play very tough schedules.
Think our very own BCS system. But to be honest, if a team is good enough rankings don't matter, and once playoffs come around everyone is back to 0-0, rankings don't matter, just that one game.

Back