Possible realignment movement

Question is if they never counted those kids in the past why did UIL make them count them this year? Especially if they have nothing to do with the school or district as far as teaching, athletics and funding.
My guess is that's how it was supposed to be all along, and someone either didn't know, or just didn't care.

We have a state hospital here in Vernon and, from what I understand, the kids in that facility have to be counted towards Vernon's numbers too. It's been that way for years.

I don't necessarily agree with it, and I'm sure nobody else does either, but that's just the way it's always been. It really is unfortunate, especially for a smaller school. It wouldn't imagine it affects Vernon quite as much as it does Water Valley.

We do get funding for them and we have to teach them....but they wouldn't be allowed to play sports. It's really unfair for any district that has one of these facilities.

We do get funding for them and we have to teach them....but they wouldn't be allowed to play sports. It's really unfair for any district that has one of these facilities.
Why wouldn't they be allowed to play sports if you are funded for them and teaching them?

Why wouldn't they be allowed to play sports if you are funded for them and teaching them?
I don't know what kind of facility it is but I would assume they would not be allowed to play for security reasons. If it is a secure facility for juvenile offenders they would be prohibited from being transported away from it.

Now this made me wonder if Brownwood ISD has to count the kids at the Ron Jackson Juvenile Correctional Complex, because I remember Mullin ISD busing some of those kids in to their school for a while.

My guess is that's how it was supposed to be all along, and someone either didn't know, or just didn't care.

We have a state hospital here in Vernon and, from what I understand, the kids in that facility have to be counted towards Vernon's numbers too. It's been that way for years.

I don't necessarily agree with it, and I'm sure nobody else does either, but that's just the way it's always been. It really is unfortunate, especially for a smaller school. It wouldn't imagine it affects Vernon quite as much as it does Water Valley.
That also used to make Whiteface stay 11 man as they had to take in the girls at a state school there.

Now this made me wonder if Brownwood ISD has to count the kids at the Ron Jackson Juvenile Correctional Complex, because I remember Mullin ISD busing some of those kids in to their school for a while.
When did this happen? I worked there for years my parents worked there for 30 plus years never seen or heard of that. You might be thinking of New Horizons totally different deal.

I was wondering about Brownwood and the Ron Jackson Unit, too. But if I'm not mistaken, the Ron Jackson Unit has their own teachers and administrators. I don't think they get funding through BISD or that BISD gets funding through the RJU. I would think this would mean that those kids in RJU don't count for BISD enrollment numbers, but I could be wrong.

I was wondering about Brownwood and the Ron Jackson Unit, too. But if I'm not mistaken, the Ron Jackson Unit has their own teachers and administrators. I don't think they get funding through BISD or that BISD gets funding through the RJU. I would think this would mean that those kids in RJU don't count for BISD enrollment numbers, but I could be wrong.

That place is probably part of the Windham school district. I suspect the place in Water Valley district is not part of the Windham district. you can search the Windham district online and find out about them. They have their own sports teams for residents that meet the requirement over time for the privilege.

Some of these places discussed may be private facilities. No State Funding so wouldn't impact a school enrollment numbers.
The following are examples of State schools that impact the district they reside in.
Denton State School
Mexia State School
San Angelo State School (25 miles North of San Angelo and about 8 miles South of WV unfortunately)
Corpus Christi State School
I am sure there are others. Decades ago, these were State Schools for MHMR adults. Severe mental health and retardation in most cases.
As society began to view them as inhumane, to provide these individuals a better way of life with more independence, the State began placing them in group homes in towns and cities across the State. Good thing for sure, but the facilities needed a way to stay relevant, thus began adapting those they serve. Doing anything to survive, they started housing juvenile deliquent's. Troubled kids with no direction, criminals, and in some cases thugs.
Since it's all about the (MONEY) they have to be counted somewhere. Hurts the district they reside in for sure.
My biggest question and a hypothetical one. If the State decided to really expand the State school in the WV district, and start transferring kids (hundreds) from all over the State to this location due to it having multiple 2 story dormitories, would Water Valley with its 104 enrollment be required to compete at a 2a, 3a, 4a, etc. level depending on the numbers at the neighboring State School 8 miles away?

Some of these places discussed may be private facilities. No State Funding so wouldn't impact a school enrollment numbers.
The following are examples of State schools that impact the district they reside in.
Denton State School
Mexia State School
San Angelo State School (25 miles North of San Angelo and about 8 miles South of WV unfortunately)
Corpus Christi State School
I am sure there are others. Decades ago, these were State Schools for MHMR adults. Severe mental health and retardation in most cases.
As society began to view them as inhumane, to provide these individuals a better way of life with more independence, the State began placing them in group homes in towns and cities across the State. Good thing for sure, but the facilities needed a way to stay relevant, thus began adapting those they serve. Doing anything to survive, they started housing juvenile deliquent's. Troubled kids with no direction, criminals, and in some cases thugs.
Since it's all about the (MONEY) they have to be counted somewhere. Hurts the district they reside in for sure.
My biggest question and a hypothetical one. If the State decided to really expand the State school in the WV district, and start transferring kids (hundreds) from all over the State to this location due to it having multiple 2 story dormitories, would Water Valley with its 104 enrollment be required to compete at a 2a, 3a, 4a, etc. level depending on the numbers at the neighboring State School 8 miles away?
Gainesville state school is state funded, their counts do not go towards Gainesville Isd. They have their own 6 man team Lone Star North they play tapps. They have their own teachers and admin. If water valley takes money for these kids it because they are technically enrolled there.

Back